Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many holes are there in a 'normal' drinking straw?

Answers below please, with or without your methodology 

Comments

• What are you up to now?
  • One surely. Or is it a trick question 
  • If it’s a modern one made of cardboard then bloody loads! Useless things

but I’d go with 2 - one at each end 
  • One surely. Or is it a trick question 
    You mean, like a test tube?
  • Chizz said:
    One surely. Or is it a trick question 
    Yes . Only long hole. Just because it has and entrances at both ends makes no difference. 
  • one deeeeeeeeep hole
  • Chizz said:
    Yes . Only long hole. Just because it has and entrances at both ends makes no difference. 
    Ok, great! So, if I were to be handed a straw with a hole at one end and not the other, that would work fine? 
  • Millions it is just most of the holes are two small to allow liquid to pass through them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Ok, great! So, if I were to be handed a straw with a hole at one end and not the other, that would work fine? 
    Yep . It would just have one entrance to the hole 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    an impossible scenario it would not be a straw if the hole did not start at one end and end at the other. It would just be a hollow paper/plastic/steel rod with a hole in it. 
  • 5 holes in a normal drinking straw

In uppercase, there are 8 holes in A NORMAL DRINKING STRAW
    I see what you did there. 
  • There is one hole

if you have a hole in your sock you dont say you have got two holes, saying there is one hole on either side of the sock
  • How many holes in your body?
  • Sponsored links:

• How many holes in your body?
    @DamoNorthStand I think we need that picture again
  • edited September 2021
    One, in the word "Normal"......, but at least we know there are

4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
    And though the holes were rather small
    They had to count them all....
    Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.. B)
  • none - its a tunnel?
  • There is one (elongated) hole in a straw. If you compressed a 15cm long straw to a micron (or less) in length, would people saying two still say two?

A Polo is  'the mint with a hole' not 'the mint with two holes'! 
  • edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    There is one (elongated) hole in a straw. If you compressed a 15cm long straw to a micron (or less) in length, would people saying two still say two?

A Polo is  'the mint with a hole' not 'the mint with two holes'! 
    Exactly......a hole has to exist in 3 dimensions. It's irrelevant if the hole is capped at either end......it's still one hole surely?
  • Was the previous thread in vain?

Next thing we'll be asking is 'Can you hear a clock stop?'.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Was the previous thread in vain?

or a pin drop!

• Dave Rudd said:

or a pin drop!

A quite different metaphysical concept ... one makes a positive sound, the other is the absence of sound.  And therein lies the conundrum ... the detection of what is missing.

As a chemist I was always intrigued by the old school identification test for Nitrogen.  When all the other tests for gases are found to be negative, you can conclude that you have Nitrogen.  Much easier these days with spectroscopic/instrumental methods, but our forefathers were happy to rely on the detection of absence.

You might want to read up on the music of the spheres.  People like Pythagorus and Johannes Kepler firmly believed in an inaudible music generated by the celestial bodies.

Indetectable ... unless it stops, of course.  And then we'd all go quite mad.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

or a pin drop!

A quite different metaphysical concept ... one makes a positive sound, the other is the absence of sound.  And therein lies the conundrum ... the detection of what is missing.

As a chemist I was always intrigued by the old school identification test for Nitrogen.  When all the other tests for gases are found to be negative, you can conclude that you have Nitrogen.  Much easier these days with spectroscopic/instrumental methods, but our forefathers were happy to rely on the detection of absence.

You might want to read up on the music of the spheres.  People like Pythagorus and Johannes Kepler firmly believed in an inaudible music generated by the celestial bodies.

So endeth the first lesson... B)
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

or a pin drop!

So endeth the first lesson... B)
    First one comes free.

It's consultancy rates after that.