Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many holes are there in a 'normal' drinking straw?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I explained fully on the previous thread why the answer to the original question is 'zero'.

For those who missed it, I reproduce it here in full:

If a hole is defined as an absence of matter, the term can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be.

I submit that the straw is simply a continuous curved surface and that no matter ever existed or was intended to exist within the confines of the aforementioned continuous curved surface.

Therefore, there is no hole, there never was a hole.  A straw has no hole.

Now, where did I put those blank invoices?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I explained fully on the previous thread why the answer to the original question is 'zero'.

If a hole is defined as an absence of matter, the term can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be.

I submit that the straw is simply a continuous curved surface and that no matter ever existed or was intended to exist within the confines of the aforementioned continuous curved surface.

You must have rolled the blank invoices up into a sort of straw - just look for no holes!
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

if you're right then so am i but i didn't google it so i win  :)
  • Options
    Surely an enclosed 'absence of matter' is a hole?

OK, a black hole may be the opposite, but I would argue this is anything other than a hole.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Surely an enclosed 'absence of matter' is a hole?

OK, a black hole may be the opposite, but I would argue this is anything other than a hole.
    It's a powerful argument ... the use of 'surely' is hard to combat.

Absence of matter ... nothingness ... if you enclose it ... why does it become a hole?  A hole in what?

It's just enclosed nothingness.

Enclose it in a sphere.  Does your sphere now have a hole in it?  It's just a hollow sphere.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Dave Rudd said:

What?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dave Rudd said:

What?
    Here here...Google say's there is one hole in a straw, sorry @DaveRudd B)