Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many holes are there in a 'normal' drinking straw?

Comments

• Options
    All holes are infinite until they stop?
  • Options
    What about an abnormal straw? Why are these not considered?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Was the previous thread in vain?

Next thing we'll be asking is 'Can you hear a clock stop?'.

or a pin drop!

A quite different metaphysical concept ... one makes a positive sound, the other is the absence of sound.  And therein lies the conundrum ... the detection of what is missing.

As a chemist I was always intrigued by the old school identification test for Nitrogen.  When all the other tests for gases are found to be negative, you can conclude that you have Nitrogen.  Much easier these days with spectroscopic/instrumental methods, but our forefathers were happy to rely on the detection of absence.

You might want to read up on the music of the spheres.  People like Pythagorus and Johannes Kepler firmly believed in an inaudible music generated by the celestial bodies.

Indetectable ... unless it stops, of course.  And then we'd all go quite mad.

So endeth the first lesson... B)
    First one comes free.

It's consultancy rates after that.
    If a consultancy invoice is emailed to me, but I never open it, does it really exist ?
  • Options
    Abnormal straws are vanishingly rare. Focusing on them turns the whole issue into a freak show.
  • Options
    Abnormal straws are vanishingly rare. Focusing on them turns the whole issue into a freak show.
    Typical. Avoiding the difficult questions.
  • Options
    If a tree falls over in an empty forest, does it make a sound?
  • Options
    Thought the answer to everything was 42?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Was the previous thread in vain?

Next thing we'll be asking is 'Can you hear a clock stop?'.

or a pin drop!

A quite different metaphysical concept ... one makes a positive sound, the other is the absence of sound.  And therein lies the conundrum ... the detection of what is missing.

As a chemist I was always intrigued by the old school identification test for Nitrogen.  When all the other tests for gases are found to be negative, you can conclude that you have Nitrogen.  Much easier these days with spectroscopic/instrumental methods, but our forefathers were happy to rely on the detection of absence.

You might want to read up on the music of the spheres.  People like Pythagorus and Johannes Kepler firmly believed in an inaudible music generated by the celestial bodies.

Indetectable ... unless it stops, of course.  And then we'd all go quite mad.

So endeth the first lesson... B)
    First one comes free.

It's consultancy rates after that.
    If a consultancy invoice is emailed to me, but I never open it, does it really exist ?
    Sadly, yes ... when the 'Total due on receipt' clause kicks in.

Nice try.
  • Options
    addickson said:
    "Nigel ... how many points do you think we will finish the season with?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addickson said:
    On Charlton Life it’s 14
  • Options
    Same number of holes as our defence.
  • Options
    This is classic, but quite easy to answer.

All human experience shows that, when a tree falls over, it will make a sound.  There are no recorded situations in the dendrodeclination literature which show a tree falling and making no sound.

Therefore, the strong probability is that tree-falling incorporates a degree of audible output.

More interesting is to ask why a falling tree needs to make a sound.  What purpose would it serve?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

All human experience shows that, when a tree falls over, it will make a sound.  There are no recorded situations in the dendrodeclination literature which show a tree falling and making no sound.

Therefore, the strong probability is that tree-falling incorporates a degree of audible output.

More interesting is to ask why a falling tree needs to make a sound.  What purpose would it serve?

Take it @SporadicAddick is now due an online consultancy invoice for that.. B)
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Sound is caused by vibrations in the air pressure reaching a sensor - in our case our ears. If there are no receptors within a distance from where the tree falls to where those changes in air pressure dissipate then it will not make a sound. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Take it @SporadicAddick is now due an online consultancy invoice for that.. B)
    Already sent....

And I agree with Bob about the sound (this is a regular debate in my house - I am massively outnumbered by people with Dave's view..)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Sound is caused by vibrations in the air pressure reaching a sensor - in our case our ears. If there are no receptors within a distance from where the tree falls to where those changes in air pressure dissipate then it will not make a sound. 
    Schoolboy error, @bobmunro

I refer you once again to the music of the spheres.  The sound is there, as is that of the falling tree.  It doesn't need to be detected to exist.

Just like a hole.  Detect that, if you will.

Invoice on the way.  

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Bob beat me to it, but in a much more articulate way than I would have used
  • Options
    All i know is, Millwall Stu would of passed out two posts into this thread...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:

I refer you once again to the music of the spheres.  The sound is there, as is that of the falling tree.  It doesn't need to be detected to exist.

Invoice on the way.  

If by sound we mean wave disturbances that propagate through the air at audio frequencies, then yes it does make a sound. But sound in the human experience will not be received/perceived if there are no receptors to receive it! 

Of course, reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Invoice on the way.  

If by sound we mean wave disturbances that propagate through the air at audio frequencies, then yes it does make a sound. But sound in the human experience will not be received/perceived if there are no receptors to receive it! 

Correct ... not received or perceived ... but the sound exists nonetheless.

Let me try another tack.

When you go on holiday, does your house cease to exist?  Or when a family member is 100 miles away, do they also no longer exist?

You can't detect either.  But I would hope that they are still there!

Or do you believe that a loved one simply flits between reality and non-existence based on whether you send them a text or not?

Hmmm.
  • Options
    Surely it's only a hole if you take something out of it to leave a hole there. 
  • Options
    when are you planning on announcing i'm the winner chizz? i think we may have crossed swords in the past but id just get it over and done with if i were you - what's the prize?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    when are you planning on announcing i'm the winner chizz? i think we may have crossed swords in the past but id just get it over and done with if i were you - what's the prize?
    Well done Doucher, the prize is the honour of paying off everyones consultancy fee invoices from @Dave Rudd... B)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We're all "winners", because we all support Charlton.  But there is only one correct answer and no-one's posted it yet.  There have been some very interesting responses.  And, frankly, the interesting responses are better than the correct one.  So, let's see if there are any more interesting ones; or even if someone posts the right answer...
  • Options
    Anyone fancy a pint?
    🙂
    ( but does a pint exist if there’s no one there to drink it? )
  • Options

Just choose which team you are on. 

Team 1 hole

Proponents of the “one hole” theory argue that a straw is like a doughnut.  It’s one piece of material with one connected hole all the way through. The “long plastic doughnut” theory. The Oxford English Dictionary defines a hole as a “hollow place in a solid body or surface,” which would seem to lend credence to Team One Hole.

Team 2 Holes

Team “Two Holes” argues that a straw has an entrance and an exit, and thus has TWO holes. Imagine a pipe. If something goes in a pipe in your house, crosses town underground, and then comes out on the other end of town. The two ends of the pipe are part of the same system, but are two unique and distinct holes. Team Two Holes argues a straw is no different

Team 0 holes

No holes

Enter, Team “No Holes.” This team of philosophers argues that the entire debate is completely wrong. Team No Holes argues a straw is just a rolled-up rectangle. An ideal straw, they say, would have no holes, otherwise it would leak. Others argue a straw can have infinite holes. Just keep cutting it in half…

• Options
    Three. I shan't explain
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

So you get out of the way on time.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We're all "winners", because we all support Charlton.  But there is only one correct answer and no-one's posted it yet.  There have been some very interesting responses.  And, frankly, the interesting responses are better than the correct one.  So, let's see if there are any more interesting ones; or even if someone posts the right answer...
    well, this will be interesting - a straw acts like a hose in reverse  - a tunnel / conduit - if you put holes in it, it becomes a sprinkler