Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Alcaraz wins the first set 6-4.
  • Options
    Alcaraz wins 6-4 6-3 and will face Nadal in the semi final.
  • Options
    Ashleigh Barty has announced her retirement from tennis at the grand old age of 25. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Ashleigh Barty has announced her retirement from tennis at the grand old age of 25. 

A major loss to the women's game that. 
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what she's got lined up.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Returning to play cricket?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    iaitch said:

Look like Barty wants to play a third sport at the highest level. Golf. Don't you just hate those sports people that are good at everything!!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Look like Barty wants to play a third sport at the highest level. Golf. Don't you just hate those sports people that are good at everything!!!
    Surely she could retire from tennis in her 30's and still forge a career in golf?

Retiring from tennis at 25, when she's at the very top of the women's game seems very strange to me 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

could be golf .. Tiger Woods reportedly admired her swing .. also, she gets married later this year .. praps motherhood beckons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Murray up to 81 in live ATP ranking after 1st round victory in Miami Open. Faces Medvedev next  :/

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Good result for Heather Watson, beat world number 20 Elina Svitolina.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60868473
  • Options
    Good result for Heather Watson, beat world number 20 Elina Svitolina.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60868473
    Should help her climb back up the rankings.
  • Options
    Raducanu's ranking will drop off a cliff after the US Open - struggling to make an impression. 
  • Options
    Raducanu's ranking will drop off a cliff after the US Open - struggling to make an impression. 
    But...  before that, she will gain points for any sort of run at French Open
  • Options
    She's gaining ranking points at every tournament at present but her ranking bears no resemblance to her form since the US Open. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60898459

Joe Salisbury will become the third British world number one when he ascends to the top of the doubles rankings on 4 April.
    Salisbury will replace Croatia's Mate Pavic after he and compatriot Nikola Mektic lost in the Miami Open last 16.
  • Options
    She's gaining ranking points at every tournament at present but her ranking bears no resemblance to her form since the US Open. 
    Emma has 2706 rankings points which has her at world number 12 at the moment.

2000 of those points came from her US Open win.

With 716 points (assuming she had lost in the US Open 1st round so gained 10 pts rather than 2000), she'd be ranked 92nd in the world.
  • Options

With 716 points (assuming she had lost in the US Open 1st round so gained 10 pts rather than 2000), she'd be ranked 92nd in the world.
    She also reached the 4th round of Wimbledon last year, so will have to equal that to avoid dropping points
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Norrie (10th seed) is through to the round of 16 at Miami where he will face Casper Ruud (6th seed).

His performance in Miami so far has already increased his world ranking from 12th to 10th as he passes Jannik Sinner and Hubert Hurkacz.

He could reach as high as world number 8 if he were to make the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Norrie unfortunately lost to Ruud. Ruud is having a good tournament. He went on to beat second seed Zverev in the quarter final and faces world no. 103 Cerundolo in the semi final.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

She also reached the 4th round of Wimbledon last year, so will have to equal that to avoid dropping points
    That 4th round appearance was worth 240 points.

Assuming she lost in the first round of both majors, her total points (476) from all other tournaments in the last 12 months would have her at world no. 131.

Very talented - you don't win majors without it obviously. Her goal has to be building some consistency on tour to ensure she doesn't fall too far down the rankings by the end of 2022. Top 50 (1150+ points) by the end of the year would be an excellent achievement.
  • Options
    4 coaches in a year can’t be good for such a young player.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    iainment said:
    4 coaches in a year can’t be good for such a young player.
    But 2 of them were always going to be temporary (still not ideal)
  • Options
    I think Raducanu is still trying to work out what she wants from a coach - she's only 19 now and her success was probably not based on any understanding of how she actually got there but more from her raw talent, the confidence of youth and a relatively kind draw. To maintain that success she has to develop that understanding and to work with a coach that can identify and help her with any flaws in her game. And she has to be able to have confidence that the coach in question can deliver that.
  • Options
    I think Raducanu is still trying to work out what she wants from a coach - she's only 19 now and her success was probably not based on any understanding of how she actually got there but more from her raw talent, the confidence of youth and a relatively kind draw. To maintain that success she has to develop that understanding and to work with a coach that can identify and help her with any flaws in her game. And she has to be able to have confidence that the coach in question can deliver that.
    I wish I'd said that.  Oh look, I nearly did.
  • Options
    I wish I'd said that.  Oh look, I nearly did.
    I can’t help thinking that her dad, Ian, is the biggest blockage to her reaching a stable relationship with a trusted coach. He needs to be very careful here as his interference risks bursting the bubble. Yes, she’s only 19 still but the constant changes to the direction of travel can’t be helpful. 
  • Options
    We say only 19 - but in the women’s game that isn’t actually THAT young.

Next year is a big year for her - let’s be honest she could never be win another game and she will still forever be a grand slam winner. But I do think after the next 12 months there will be a much better idea if that was a one off or a sign of what’s to come.
  • Options
    We say only 19 - but in the women’s game that isn’t actually THAT young.

Next year is a big year for her - let’s be honest she could never be win another game and she will still forever be a grand slam winner. But I do think after the next 12 months there will be a much better idea if that was a one off or a sign of what’s to come.
    She's a far less experienced 19 year old than many of the other players her age, because she concentrated on her studies and had a "relatively" normal childhood, rather than devoting everything to tennis aged 14

Never having played on clay until last week is a sign of this, she still has plenty of room to develop
  • Options
    Three British players - Norrie, Evans, Murray - in the last 16 of the Madrid Open. Pretty impressive.