Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Murray has withdrawn from the Madrid open due to illness.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Right before he was about to play Djokovic and get stuffed anyway!

I am honestly surprised Murray is participating in clay court tennis. He must be feeling good with his hip.

To be fair to him, he had beaten both Thiem and Shapovalov on his way to the third round neither of which is easy on clay so more good signs there.
  • Options
    Murray up inside the top 70 now which is great news. Climbing the rankings slowly but surely.

Norrie still hovering just outside top 10 while Evans has dropped out of the top 30.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Not British tennis but Alcaraz has just beaten Nadal and Djokovic back to back to reach the final of the Madrid Open.

He’s the first man to beat both of them at the same clay court tournament and he’s 19 years old.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61410385

Laura Robson announces her retirement. A massive shame injuries prevented her from showing her full potential
  • Options
    Liam Broady and Yuriko Miyazaki both in action in the 2nd qualifying round of the French open today. I would like to watch it and do have discovery + but can't seem to find it anywhere :neutral:
  • Options
    follett said:
    Liam Broady and Yuriko Miyazaki both in action in the 2nd qualifying round of the French open today. I would like to watch it and do have discovery + but can't seem to find it anywhere :neutral:
    Have you tried Amazon Prime? I know alot are on there, or even betting sites if you don't have it. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ATP & WTA have announced that they won’t be awarding any points for this year’s Wimbledon. Any points gained last year will be lost, not frozen.

The decision is in response to Wimbledon banning the participation of Russian and Belarusian players.
  • Options
    How is Emma getting on at the French Open, set to play a qualifier I believe.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Both Norrie and Raducanu are playing on the third court tomorrow. There is a women’s match first followed by Norrie v Guinard (a wildcard) followed by Raducanu v Noskova (a qualifier).

I would guess Norrie starts around 11:30am U.K. time with Raducanu on court immediately after that.

Heather Watson and Dan Evans also play second tomorrow on their courts. So lots of Brits playing at the same time around lunch and the early afternoon. 

Last but not least, Harriet Dart is scheduled first on Court 12 so will begin around 10am U.K. time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks callum
  • Options
    Eurosport not showing the Dart match :neutral:
  • Options
    Dart lost first set 6-0
  • Options
    Norrie's match should be starting soon? I have access to Eurosport channels currently showing Parry v Krecikova and Zverev v Ofner

Is it right that Raducanu only played on clay for the first time a few weeks ago?

I think a few people (I mean in general not on CL) have forgotten/don't know she was only a part-time athlete doing her A levels less than a year ago. And has not been in the US as a teenager like many tennis players.
  • Options
    Thanks - I realised that when they were showing games I'd seen a result for! Norrie's match on Eurosport
  • Options
    Emma not doing well. Her opponent is very impressive though and last year's Junior French champion. 

I'm making more excuses, but clay must be a strange surface to get used to and the younger opponent does have more experience on it
  • Options
    Tie break and now back level in the 2nd, she's not doing that badly.

Hopefully she has a bit of momentum now.
  • Options
    Much that it pains me to say it, she looks second best.

Women's tennis is a lot more unpredictable than the men's; Osaka out in hte first round and last tear's winner
  • Options
    Dan Evans through to the second round for the first time ever! 
  • Options
    Great tennis in the Raducanu game - now 1 set all. Match on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    6-1 in the final set, nice one Emma!
  • Options
    Very entertaining (in a Murray-way as in I wasn't very relaxed) and brilliant quality for a first round match.

Emma really stepped it up in that last set
  • Options
    Hadn't seen it since 4-4 in the 2nd, glad to see she only lost 2 more games and it wasn't because she went out!

Well done Emma!
  • Options
    Very entertaining (in a Murray-way as in I wasn't very relaxed) and brilliant quality for a first round match.

Emma really stepped it up in that last set
    I’m hoping that will do Raducanu a lot of good. Was a very tough match and I would imagine those two will meet many time in years to come but far deeper in the draw.
  • Options
    Norrie faces Australian qualifier Jason Kubler in round two. Meanwhile, Evans faces world number 95 Mikael Ymer from Sweden.

In the women's draw, Raducanu will play world number 71 Sasnovich. Sasnovich beat Raducanu at Indian Wells last year.

Harriet Dart and Heather Watson both lost in round one in straight sets. 
  • Options
    Looked so good in the first set, collapsed in the second. Big learning curve for her but have to remember she's barely played on clay before
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Unfortunately beaten by Sasnovich again. 3-6 6-1 6-1

Sasnovich will face Kerber in the third round.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Norrie wins in straight sets 6-3 6-4 6-3. Karen Khachanov of Russia (21st seed) awaits in round three.

If Norrie wins, it would be his first ever 4th round appearance in a Grand Slam.