Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Raducanu’s US Open win last year beginning to look like the biggest flash in the pan in the history of sport. Too much too soon?  Can’t believe how quickly and spectacularly she has fallen. I don’t follow tennis closely enough to understand all the ins and outs but, serious injury apart (and I’m not aware that she has suffered any more than a series of routine niggles although I stand to be corrected ), how on earth can it all collapse so spectacularly in such a short period of time?  She didn’t just win the US Open, she blew away everything in her path and looked like the next Navratilova. Has she won more than a handful of matches since?   It’s all very strange. 

• Options
    Raducanu’s US Open win last year beginning to look like the biggest flash in the pan in the history of sport. Too much too soon?  Can’t believe how quickly and spectacularly she has fallen. I don’t follow tennis closely enough to understand all the ins and outs but, serious injury apart (and I’m not aware that she has suffered any more than a series of routine niggles although I stand to be corrected ), how on earth can it all collapse so spectacularly in such a short period of time?  She didn’t just win the US Open, she blew away everything in her path and looked like the next Navratilova. Has she won more than a handful of matches since?   It’s all very strange. 

I honestly think winning at such a young age created far too much expectation. Injuries haven’t helped, but she’s young and probably needs time to develop. I wouldn’t write her off yet, possibly not being the current US Open champion anymore might actually help in taking some of the pressure off of her. 
  • Options
    Because of her grand slam win she had to deal with the wrong end of the business at the wrong end of her career, she suddenly had the commitments of a top ten player but without the journey to that point to give her the experience needed; it needs to be a linear journey where hers to that point was exponential!
  • Options
    Gut strings aren’t as resilient they can’t be strung as tight but they have better feel than synthetic strings.
    personally haven’t referenced her age I was referring to experience, two different things but I think a lot of people say age when really they’re thinking of experience, in this area there’s lots of players her age that have much more experience.
  • Options
    Personally I think if she doesn’t make an impact on the tour this coming year she will drop off and retire
  • Options
    Gut strings aren’t as resilient they can’t be strung as tight but they have better feel than synthetic strings.
    personally haven’t referenced her age I was referring to experience, two different things but I think a lot of people say age when really they’re thinking of experience, in this area there’s lots of players her age that have much more experience.
    Agreed other players her age have been concentrating on tennis for years, when she was at school doing A levels and "normal" teenage stuff as well
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Not having the weight of a US Open title to defend hanging around her neck should hopefully free her up a bit. I always got the feeling she struggled with the other, 'mundane' tour events this past year because the pressure/expectation was through the roof. 

She's still a teenager and she has all the tools. If she can get back to the tennis that was winning matches when she burst onto the scene last year, she should have a crack at breaking the top 50 before the end of next season which would be an excellent achievement.
  • Options
    The blister thing with Raducanu is weird, isn't it?  Haven't heard it happen with our players (on hands, rather than feet, anyway), and now she's had it in 2 Grand Slams.

Should she be taping up her hands better?
    Using a different racket?
    Has she not played enough for her hands to toughen up to using a racket for longer matches?

You'd think they'd sort something if they knew it was an ongoing issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The blister thing with Raducanu is weird, isn't it?  Haven't heard it happen with our players (on hands, rather than feet, anyway), and now she's had it in 2 Grand Slams.

Has she not played enough for her hands to toughen up to using a racket for longer matches?

My bet would be this as I agree something would be done to try and prevent them, but if they are from playing too much (aka not playing enough) there’s not much can be done other than play more.
    But this seems to be the overarching theme, not playing as much as her contemporaries/not as much experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My take on Raducanu. Didn't put a foot wrong in qualifying and in the US Open last year. IIRC she never lost a set! Her achievement will stand the test of time despite her many detractors, and she's got some really nasty trolls on social media, and that's not on twitter. I dread to think what abuse she suffers on that.

I think she's just completed her first year on tour year with unspectacular results, but the expectation levels have been high. She had no such pressure when she won the big one. If she never wins again she's one of a select group to have won a major, deservedly too imo, even if she does end up having a career in reverse having achieved success as a relative unknown.

She needs to sort out her coaching situation for some stability, but she's more experienced now. However, I'm not expecting to see her standing holding another major for the foreseeable future, but she's surprised us all before and it's sport after all, so you never know.
  • Options
    Wow a couple of you on this thread, dismissing her already at such a young age,  I get it, however to have the talent to win the US open at such a young age, you can't fluke a major. Hope she can get some form together and have a few deep runs, the world is still her oyster and hopefully the blisters aren't going to hinder her career too much. 
  • Options

Yes it is most unusual. I keep thinking about Ringo at the end of Helter Skelter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWY1iuPAkyM
  • Options

Probably the most incredible win in the history of sport. If they made a movie on it, you'd say it was too far fetched.

Can't think of anything else to rival it, and off the top of my head only Leicester's PL win comes close.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    New world rankings for Brits inside top 100 after this week:

Evans #25
    Murray #43
    Draper #46

Norrie is #8 on the live rankings  but could end up as low as #11 if Rublev and Sinner both reach semi finals and Berrettini wins the tournament. He’ll most likely end up #9 or #10 by the end of the week.

Raducanu #83
    Dart #84

(Both of these two might drop another place or two if another woman ranked 85-100 wins an event in Europe this week like Bari.)

• Options
    New world rankings for Brits inside top 100 after this week:

Evans #25
    Murray #43
    Draper #46

Norrie is #8 on the live rankings  but could end up as low as #11 if Rublev and Sinner both reach semi finals and Berrettini wins the tournament. He’ll most likely end up #9 or #10 by the end of the week.

Raducanu #83
    Dart #84

(Both of these two might drop another place or two if another woman ranked 85-100 wins an event in Europe this week like Bari.)

Since none of those things ended up happening, Norrie is going to end the week at world no. 8 which is a new career high ranking.
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu playing in a WTA tournament in Slovakia this week.

Emma was winning 6-2 5-3 when her opponent in the first round was forced to retire with a wrist injury.

Let's hope Emma can get a run of form together and climb the rankings a bit.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Emma was winning 6-2 5-3 when her opponent in the first round was forced to retire with a wrist injury.

Strange time to retire with an injury. Unless she literally injured it at that moment, poor form to not play to the end
  • Options
    Hopefully a good tournament upcoming for Emma, who has the luxury of being the top seed. I assume the world rankings didn’t update in time before the draw was made.
  • Options
    Cam Norrie is entered for the ASB Classic in Auckland in January.  Born in South Africa Cam came to NZ when he was three and reached international level as a junior before taking off for London at the age of 16.  Tennis NZ were less than supportive financially and he was largely sponsored by his parents up until then.  He reached the final of the ASB in 2019 losing only one set on his way there.

News today that Casper Rudd will also play, a big scoop for the tournament which takes place just before the Melbourne Open.  Unfortunately the NZ Open is held at the same time as a rival tournament in Adelaide (I think it is) and the top players usually prefer to play there.  Even so, Serena Williams has played here, so too Venus on ore than one occasion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Strange time to retire with an injury. Unless she literally injured it at that moment, poor form to not play to the end
    She did.

"The 22-year-old Ukrainian injured her wrist while 30-0 down serving to stay in the match."
  • Options
    Cam Norrie is entered for the ASB Classic in Auckland in January.  Born in South Africa Cam came to NZ when he was three and reached international level as a junior before taking off for London at the age of 16.  Tennis NZ were less than supportive financially and he was largely sponsored by his parents up until then.  He reached the final of the ASB in 2019 losing only one set on his way there.

News today that Casper Rudd will also play, a big scoop for the tournament which takes place just before the Melbourne Open.  Unfortunately the NZ Open is held at the same time as a rival tournament in Adelaide (I think it is) and the top players usually prefer to play there.  Even so, Serena Williams has played here, so too Venus on ore than one occasion.
    Coco Gauff is coming too
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Another injury time out for Emma Raducanu. It's becoming a joke how badly her young body isn't able to cope with a set of tennis. Blisters, numerous muscle strains in arms body and legs. Have you ever seen a young sportsperson so fragile? Can't help thinking that this 'journey' is all going to be over in the next year or two. Yes, the US Open has set her up for life financially from prize money and incredible sponsorship deals but, frankly, it will all boil down to how much she really is (a) built for professional tennis physically and (b) how much competitive spirit she has inside her to want to be a 'winner'. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Another injury time out for Emma Raducanu. It's becoming a joke how badly her young body isn't able to cope with a set of tennis. Blisters, numerous muscle strains in arms body and legs. Have you ever seen a young sportsperson so fragile? Can't help thinking that this 'journey' is all going to be over in the next year or two. Yes, the US Open has set her up for life financially from prize money and incredible sponsorship deals but, frankly, it will all boil down to how much she really is (a) built for professional tennis physically and (b) how much competitive spirit she has inside her to want to be a 'winner'. 
    Given how few games she has played it does seem quite incredible how bad her injury record is.
  • Options
    Personally I think if she doesn’t make an impact on the tour this coming year she will drop off and retire
    I know I got lolled but still stand by this, she’s going to almost always face opponents that want it more than her, that are all still trying to ‘succeed’, in the back of her mind (that bit that makes you run that little bit quicker and try that little bit harder) she’s already setup for life.
    She is the next Anna Kournikova.
  • Options
    Gutting ‘The Fed’ is hanging up his racquet!
  • Options
    Yea one of the best British players up there with  Andy Murray 😉
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The thread goes quiet and Emma is winning, hmmmm i notice she is through to the Korea Open Semi final, she is 6th seed. Haven't seen anything about it, just thought i would update the thread, hopefully Emma can win.  Likely to play top seed Ostapenko who is currently playing
  • Options
    The thread goes quiet and Emma is winning, hmmmm i notice she is through to the Korea Open Semi final, she is 6th seed. Haven't seen anything about it, just thought i would update the thread, hopefully Emma can win.  Likely to play top seed Ostapenko who is currently playing
    Nice to see Emma string a run of wins together. Indeed nice to see Emma string a run of matches together without some sort of injury issue...