Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY T.V

Comments

• Options
    …and it has no hard drive. You can only watch something outside of its air date if it’s on demand. No ‘recording’ as it were. So that’s me out. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    …and it has no hard drive. You can only watch something outside of its air date if it’s on demand. No ‘recording’ as it were. So that’s me out. 
    Where've you seen that?
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Where've you seen that?
    Someone on Twitter asked them about it. 

• Options
    Well it would be one way for Sky to stop people trying to renegotiate their deals, they will be able to ask whatever they want in future.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Well it would be one way for Sky to stop people trying to renegotiate their deals, they will be able to ask whatever they want in future.
    Only if they have a product people want. I've been thinking of ditching them for a while - this looks like the push I needed to make me do it. I do worry though that Freesat will disappear, as I would switch to that when I drop SKY.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Hal1x said:
    Only if they have a product people want. I've been thinking of ditching them for a while - this looks like the push I needed to make me do it. I do worry though that Freesat will disappear, as I would switch to that when I drop SKY.
    Yeah how does Astra make the sums add up, and the other Sky networks in Europe will switch as well, and Canal+ has already moved to some delivery via IP
  • Options
    Virgin wasn’t available down my road up until last week. As soon as My Sky Contract ends in January I’m will be switching to Virgin. 
    I'm looking to do the opposite. I've had Virgin Media for the last 2 years & the picture quality is getting worse & worse. Always glitching & freezing. Tried getting in touch with them for an engineer to come out but you cant speak to anyone - calls just go round in circles & keep being told to go online & get help that way. Their answer, it seems, is to check the co-ax cable & then the ever helpful "unplug the box for 5 mins & let it reset itself".

Got so bad I made a complaint. 5 weeks later they replied with "We cant see a problem - if you think it still exists please  get back in touch". All I wanted was for an engineer to come out, check the cables inside & out to see what the problem is. Never got to speak a human in the 6 months I had trying to resolve it. 

I'm in rented property & when I moved in I wanted to keep my existing Sky contract, but the Sky engineer said that they would have to drill holes on the fascia board on the front of the house. Wasn't sure the landlord would want that & as Virgin cable had ben installed previously in the property I thought it easier just to go with them. Recently spoken to landlord & he said that he's happy with a dish being put up. I keep getting letter & emails from.Sky offering discounts for me to "go back" to them....so I will take up their 50% offer & bin Virgin. 

This was my final experience with Virgin Media. Simply couldn't get anyone to do anything. Even when I shifted my service (to Sky) they didn't contact me.
  • Options
    Sky Glass looks like a classic 'tie-in' product. If you want to scale back or stop your service, you will lose your TV, not just a Sky box. They are also selling the Sky Glass TV's but they look overpriced and will obviously become dumb TV's without the subscription service. The much-vaunted 'bundling' of services has still not caught on, probably for this very reason of tie-in, but this is another attempt. My guess is this will go the way of 3D TV's in due course - surely the future is in the cloud where they can squirt all the services down over broadband with no dependence on hardware. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The brave new tech world is still dependent upon good broadband. Until the U.K. brings its broadband to a high spec nationwide service we’ll struggle. Not everyone lives in big cities. The U.K. currently sits 47th in world rankings. The slow roll out of fibre optics in the U.K. has been scandalous 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sky Glass looks like a classic 'tie-in' product. If you want to scale back or stop your service, you will lose your TV, not just a Sky box. They are also selling the Sky Glass TV's but they look overpriced and will obviously become dumb TV's without the subscription service. The much-vaunted 'bundling' of services has still not caught on, probably for this very reason of tie-in, but this is another attempt. My guess is this will go the way of 3D TV's in due course - surely the future is in the cloud where they can squirt all the services down over broadband with no dependence on hardware. 
    Given that these will be QLED TVs I would think that they will be Samsung panels. If this is the case (and depending on Spec) - I don't think that they are overpriced. An outright purchase price of just over a grand for a 65" QLED TV is very reasonable I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The brave new tech world is still dependent upon good broadband. Until the U.K. brings its broadband to a high spec nationwide service we’ll struggle. Not everyone lives in big cities. The U.K. currently sits 47th in world rankings. The slow roll out of fibre optics in the U.K. has been scandalous 
    Its not even confined to small villages in the middle of no where.

Where I am in Strood all I get is Standard Broadband, the houses that back on to mine get Fibre Optic.
  • Options
    I got a Q box in the summer which is ok apart from dropping the wifi every week or so needing a tedious password re-entry so bollocks to something where that will be necessary even more than it is now. Can you buy these sets or are we back to Radio Rentals days? I used to work there in the mid 80s, it was fun, but not really needed any more. 
  • Options
    I got a Q box in the summer which is ok apart from dropping the wifi every week or so needing a tedious password re-entry so bollocks to something where that will be necessary even more than it is now. Can you buy these sets or are we back to Radio Rentals days? I used to work there in the mid 80s, it was fun, but not really needed any more. 
    Download an app called WiFi analyzer. It'll show you possible "interference" with other people's WiFi that run on the same channel.

If this is the case, change the channel your WiFi runs on (done by logging in to your router) and you should find the Sky Q box is a lot more stable.

This was happening to me every other day, not happened once since I changed it.
  • Options
    I think you can buy outright upfront or spread the cost of the size of tv you choose to your monthly bill. The pucks which replace Sky Q mini boxes cost £50 each and attract a £10 per month subscription. The biggest no no for Sky Glass is the inability to record anything. I won’t be going down the Glass route.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Download an app called WiFi analyzer. It'll show you possible "interference" with other people's WiFi that run on the same channel.

If this is the case, change the channel your WiFi runs on (done by logging in to your router) and you should find the Sky Q box is a lot more stable.

Wise advice that, many don't know that this could be the cause. 
  • Options
    Overlapping Wi-Fi channels is a common problem that people don't know about.

Depending on the frequency being used, there are preferred channels to use to cut out interference. This explains it quite well:

https://www.minim.com/blog/wifi-channels-explained
  • Options
    My Sky Q box runs on ethernet cable, can't be arsed with WiFi flakiness. Think I need to be convinced that I need to be tied into Sky at this level, more tempted to get a decent UHD telly from John Lewis then this at the moment
  • Options
    I had hoped that Sky turning dishless would be the answer to my prayers (Grade 2 listed building so can’t have/don’t want a dish). But I have to say this looks ghastly. I’m already fed up with the constant haggling for a deal and I’m not going to tie myself into anything I can’t get out off. And I have perfectly serviceable tellies thank you very much. It takes a few months without Sky to really convince yourself that you don’t need it. It’ll take something much less complicated to tempt me back. 

• Options
    Glovepup said:
    cafcpolo said:

Promote worthy I'd say.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Glovepup said:
    cafcpolo said:

Promote worthy I'd say.
    Steady now! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So you seriously can’t record anything ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Would appear so

Sky Glass - 4K UHD TV - Specs & Features | Sky.com
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Would appear so

No SSD or hard drive in there, so you are reliant on the streaming services
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Glovepup said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Would appear so

No SSD or hard drive in there, so you are reliant on the streaming services
    Yeah, there is a USB-C port but says for power only so don't even think you can connect an external HDD. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And I think that this will be the deal-breaker for quite a few. 

Licensing arrangements also mean that not all previously show content will be available for on demand streaming.
  • Options
    It's a good product, it'll be a great product once the licensing issues are resolved, and the recording problem is solved. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I take it, there will be a lot of sky dish installers out of work in the future?
  • Options
    I take it, there will be a lot of sky dish installers out of work in the future?
    Being retrained to install Glass, and the wall mounts etc. I think Sky are expecting people to switch out their tellies on a pretty regular basis via this 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Being retrained to install Glass, and the wall mounts etc. I think Sky are expecting people to switch out their tellies on a pretty regular basis via this 
    They are looking at the mass market clearly. 
    For people that have already invested in more expensive TV's this will likely be a non starter - unless they maybe choose to have the Sky Glass TV in a bedroom and hook up their main TV to a 'puck' box.