Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY T.V

13»

Comments

• Options
    I have Sky Q, with a mini box upstairs and I am about to look into the compatability with Freesat recorders to save the monthly TV subscription. I will still need landline and broadband though. It will save me about £46.00 a month by using Freesat.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    So you seriously can’t record anything ? 
    And I think that this will be the deal-breaker for quite a few. 

Licensing arrangements also mean that not all previously show content will be available for on demand streaming.
    They are being really slippery with their answers on social. I don't think we'll know for certain until we see it in action. 

This conversation implies that some stuff will be saved to the cloud in order to record it if it's not on demand. Yet at the end they appear to contradict that point (unless the word 'save' is the issue here)... 

Customer: can you record live TV and watch it in the same way as SkyQ?

Sky: Yes you will be able to record live TV, when you add to your Playlist, it’ll play back from the best place - on demand, a cloud recording or via an app – it's not reliant on recording capacity - only some of your content needs to be recorded to be streamed back to you. 

Customer: if something is on TV and I want to save it, is it only saveable if it’s on demand?

Sky: That is correct.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    It's not going to be a massive thing for Sky to build a decent storage solution on AWS/Azure/GCP and let people save to there, cause I suspect Glass will be running off one of those Public Clouds in the first place. 

Edit - I think they are on AWS for nearly everything they do now
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Overlapping Wi-Fi channels is a common problem that people don't know about.

Depending on the frequency being used, there are preferred channels to use to cut out interference. This explains it quite well:

https://www.minim.com/blog/wifi-channels-explained
    Unlimited channels streaming directly into your TV without using a dish BBW

It will never work or catch on

;););)  
  • Options
    How will multi room work?
    Do you have to fork out for one of these TV's for each room?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    How will multi room work?
    Do you have to fork out for one of these TV's for each room?
    1 x Sky Glass TV and then new ‘puck’ boxes for any other room exiting TVs. 

• Options
    Just watched the unveiling. It does sound bloody good. 
    I for one hate the monstrosity of wires you need to set up a the these days. Not sure how I feel about having a TV that is exclusive to Sky and Sky only though.

Anyhow ,Some Di*k just done up their living room, wall mounted their fairly new TV and bought a new sound bar and lights etc the full shebang!
    Doh!
  • Options
    Moving house next week so took it as a chance to throw the "I'm cancelling" card at them.

Managed to get the whole caboodle for £46 a month (down from the £105 they had just put it up to).
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I’ve taken the plunge and gone for Sky Glass, I was in Bluewater, (I got a Phillips Sync box for Christmas and needed a few lights), wondered in their shop. I’m not too bothered about recording as most decent stuff is on demand anyway. The my draw back I can see with the on demand bit is adverts. ITV hub will have loads of them but for the first year Sky basically pay for your ITV hub subs. ITV doesn’t have much I would record anyway. Channel 4 might be a bit of a problem though but I’ll live with it. 
     The main reason I’m changing is picture and sound quality. I currently have Q and 2 mini boxes. Currently some of  my HD channels pixelate and break up making watching anything impossible. Also mini boxes do not put out 4K or Dolby atmos, which I think is real rubbish considering it could have been with a bit of thought at the design stage. HD is barely HD, 720. A bit of a con.
    Ive gone for the small tv (43”), which I’ll stick in my bedroom, I don’t want to change my other TVs, I bought 2 pucks for theses. All works out £12/month less than I pay now. I stream Netflix, Apple, Disney, YouTube as well as Sky so it sort of make sense.