Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Saints U21 Pap Trophy: Tuesday 5 October 2021

Comments

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    Still don't like their pizzas.
    Do they have a vegan option?
    The one I had was supposed to be pepperoni but was pretty much vegan
  • Options
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:
    Have attended both of the Papa Johns games this season and enjoyed them. 

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?
    Because it's an embarrassing competition to be involved in.

I would rather we had a go at the FA Cup and League Cup rather than always saying that we have to 'concentrate on the league.'

Having said that, I'm glad those that attended enjoyed it and if it's good practise for our reserves then that's a good thing.

I just don't want to see us getting excited about it even if we win the dumb thing because it is totally of no value.
    Oh jimmy jimmy would ya would ya would ya go to wembley
    No, I bloody well wouldn't, even if I lived in North London.
    Such an act of attendance would be an acceptance of a nonsense competition.
    It would drain the last remaining pride in supporting Charlton.
    Imagine the scenario that @oohaahmortimer mentioned above - what a nightmare of an embarrassment. The Palace fans would be taking more piss out of us than a truck emptying the portable loos at Glastonbury.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
    I have seen signs of that player from day  one and I think he will come good for us.
    I couldn’t watch last night but I’d have Clare as cover for Gilbey and Dobson as cover for Arter. Gilbey can also cover Lee. I struggle to see Morgan and Watson getting into the team without an injury crisis.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?

I would rather we had a go at the FA Cup and League Cup rather than always saying that we have to 'concentrate on the league.'

Having said that, I'm glad those that attended enjoyed it and if it's good practise for our reserves then that's a good thing.

I just don't want to see us getting excited about it even if we win the dumb thing because it is totally of no value.
    Imagine the scenario that @oohaahmortimer mentioned above - what a nightmare of an embarrassment. The Palace fans would be taking more piss out of us than a truck emptying the portable loos at Glastonbury.
    Exactly how I see it.
    Wembley or not I shall never attend one of these games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
    I have seen signs of that player from day  one and I think he will come good for us.
    I couldn’t watch last night but I’d have Clare as cover for Gilbey and Dobson as cover for Arter. Gilbey can also cover Lee. I struggle to see Morgan and Watson getting into the team without an injury crisis.
    agreed
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Not sounding a spoilsport but it was a similar pre-season team getting glowing performances and good results in pre-season. Something happens when they play against experienced, intent and well trained opposition. 
    The more evidence I see the more I am convinced a lot of it, obviously not everything, is down to fitness.

So many muscle injuries (although that appears to have got better, touch wood) individual mistakes, especially late on in halves and games, loss of shape, snatching at chances and general lack of composure.  It all points to fitness.

We had the same issues last season, the one before that, half the season before that.  You can point to a handful of players and say they are past it, injury prone, don't care etc but we are now talking about 50 odd players and we can each count the exceptions on our fingers. 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

Exactly how I see it.
    Bit like when we made the Full Members final. I went, but hardly the greatest day in our club's history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never liked this competition - but this season I can only see how it will benefit us.We have a very large squad and some promising youngsters coming through and this is the ideal opportunity for game time.The starting lineup last was not very different to our first game this season.We have had a very bad start but let's hope we have turned the corner.Morgan showed what he is capable of last night.
    As for Wembley - if we were to get there - I would certainly be there not as if those days out come around very often!
  • Options
    In modern times we've had 7 years in L1 before this season

In 2 of those seasons we got promoted, meaning that despite not taking cup competitions seriously in 5 other seasons, we still didn't get promoted.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

Exactly how I see it.
    Bit like when we made the Full Members final. I went, but hardly the greatest day in our club's history.
    All really valid points about the credibility of this competition that I don't disagree with at all.

But having been there too in 87, it was the disappointment of a defeat at Wembley  that meant it was not the greatest of days. And a late kick in the bollocks at that, courtesy of colin Hendry, only added to the pain.

The overriding feeling that i have is that chances to see our great club at Wembley are so few and far between (3 in my lifetime) they are not to be sniffed at regardless of the competition.
  • Options
    Good to get the win against a young talented Southampton team. Nice to nick a goal too!! keep the focus now. #cafc #coyr

• Options

Stockley: "Pearcey has done well, I think it was missing the target by inches"

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1098735257?-11197:833
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Was the camera only pointing in 1 direction for the first 60 mins....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Stockley: "Pearcey has done well, I think it was missing the target by inches"

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1098735257?-11197:833
    And this.... THIS @Leuth is why the big guy deserved his 10 on the Player Marks thread

What a man!!
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

Exactly how I see it.
    Exactly / and I never want to attend one again 
  • Options
    The league cup is meaningless.  This used to be really meaningless but since they opened it up to Premier league kids teams it's really really really meaningless.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

Exactly how I see it.
    That was a shit day 
  • Options
    I spoke to Thomas Saandgard after the match and he said during the first half he'd already written the first 2 verses and the chorus for our cup final single...............................................
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    kafka said:
    Kips said:
    cafctom said:

Exactly how I see it.
    That was a shit day 
    I was a bit upset about that result at the time. It was a third rate competition but at least it was for the top two divisions' 'first teams.'

I always remember getting back home pissed off, turning on the telly and bloody Russ Abbott telling me to smile and laugh or suchlike.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan > Pearce Miss > Stockley Goal

Kirk > Morgan > Dobson > Purrington Goal

Morgan > Stockley goal

Involved in all three goals and created other chances too. Got the ball to Kirk several times early doors and to CBT many times towards the end. Either better players make Albie look better or worse players make him seem worse.

I know many don't see it, but in the Shinnie assist the assister type role, Morgan could be very good. Question is whether we can afford that luxury in our formation and whether he can add goals himself.

No thanks, we haven’t got worse since he’s not in the team. Had his chance and failed.
  • Options
    In modern times we've had 7 years in L1 before this season

In 2 of those seasons we got promoted, meaning that despite not taking cup competitions seriously in 5 other seasons, we still didn't get promoted.
    We ended one of those 5 seasons by putting a ball in orbit
  • Options
    The league cup is meaningless.  This used to be really meaningless but since they opened it up to Premier league kids teams it's really really really meaningless.
    The future does not look bright for Southampton, their kids looked awful. I watched the first 15 minutes and all I saw was their defenders passing the ball straight to us, it looked like Sunday football. Switched over then, not for me.
  • Options
    This wasnt the League Cup