Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    edited May 4
    On bbc London news last night, some parties were worried because the turn out in the outer suburbs were high think from memory they said 43% (Bexley was highlighted) compared to only 31% in the inner suburbs, this was put down to a direct result of ULEZ, be interesting to see what effect these different turn outs have, 

Voter turnout was 40.5% in the London mayoral election, down 1.5% overall from 2021, London Elects has announced.

The turnout for each constituency in the 2024 mayoral election was as follows:

• Barnet and Camden - 39.59%
    • Bexley and Bromley - 48.38%
    • Brent and Harrow - 37.09%
    • City and East (Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Newham, Tower Hamlets) - 31.17%
    • Croydon and Sutton - 42.27%
    • Ealing and Hillingdon - 42.98%
    • Enfield and Haringey - 41.38%
    • Greenwich and Lewisham - 40.33%
    • Havering and Redbridge - 42.94%
    • Lambeth and Southwark - 39.13%
    • Merton and Wandsworth - 45.99%
    • North East (Hackney, Islington, Waltham Forest) - 39.57%
    • South West (Hounslow, Kingston Upon Thames, Richmond Upon Thames) - 45.26%
    • West Central (Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster) - 34.98%

Previously, voter turnout was 42% in 2021, 46% in 2016, 38% in 2012, 45% in 2008, 37% in 2004 and 34% in 2000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68953047

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    On bbc London news last night, some parties were worried because the turn out in the outer suburbs were high think from memory they said 43% (Bexley was highlighted) compared to only 31% in the inner suburbs, this was put down to a direct result of ULEZ, be interesting to see what effect these different turn outs have, 
    Those turnout figures are shocking. A lot of people don't vote because they think politicians are bull shitters. There is a big hole in politics at moment.
    It's been that way for as long as i can remember.
  • Options
    Genuinely can’t believe people brought the bullshit yesterday 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Really, remember how people acted during the pandemic?

We could have a flat earther as mayor who answers every question with 'I don't know' because people are worried about a pay for a mile conspiracy.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Really, remember how people acted during the pandemic?

We could have a flat earther as mayor who answers every question with 'I don't know' because people are worried about a pay for a mile conspiracy.
    The stuff yesterday about Hall winning, was the same shit as last time, the Tories were claiming that Bailey had won on the Friday, and Khan won by a bigger margin then he did against Goldsmith.

• Options
    Not read this thread before but can see the last few pages a number of people have turned it into to a full on politics thread. Please respect we no longer want that here.

As for ULEZ, both cameras about 200 metres from my house were cut down last night. Again. 
  • Options
    Not read this thread before but can see the last few pages a number of people have turned it into to a full on politics thread. Please respect we no longer want that here.

As for ULEZ, both cameras about 200 metres from my house were cut down last night. Again. 
    It’s a key policy and debate in a mayoral election, you can’t divorce the two 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Labour lost 2 seats in local council by-elections to the Tories  in Sutton and Wandsworth, which the one Labour candidate blamed ULEZ for the lose.
    Talking of Wandsworth.

In Merton and Wandsworth, there was a 5.1 per cent Conservative to Labour swing, with Mr Khan achieving 48.3 per cent of the vote and his Tory rival Susan Hall getting 28.6 per cent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 4
    PopIcon said:
    Those turnout figures are shocking. A lot of people don't vote because they think politicians are bull shitters. There is a big hole in politics at moment.
    Should be a fine for not voting imo. Maybe not council elections, but certainly things like the GE
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Should be a fine for not voting imo. Maybe not council elections, but certainly things like the GE
    Agreed, providing they put a box with abstain on the slip. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    PopIcon said:
    You'll get people voting for parties they don't believe in. I like the current system.
  • Options
    Khan wins, not a fan myself but fare do's. 
  • Options
    A swing to Labour as well. People who live here either don't care about ULEZ or they were major concerns with the Tory candicrank.
  • Options
    A thread about ULEZ seems inevitably political on Charlton Life, and has had a political slant almost since inception.

If we don’t want any threads that bleed into unwanted territory, could we also get rid of the loads of misogynistic content that appears all over Charlton life?

The recent Katie Price content is a good example, as well as the ‘new bird on countdown’ stuff.

• Options
    So this thread will live on, with the stories of bitter lunatics in Bexley and Bromley cutting down lampposts 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    So well done Sadiq Khan, a win is a win, and to me it means the majority of voters in the London mayoral election care more about the health of our London children than the cost of having a motor vehicle.
    Only if you believe it was a single issue election. 

More likely the lack of a credible opponent is why Khan won. 
  • Options
    A stronger candidate would have made it a much closer race, but I think this election shows just how much of an echo chamber the internet is. For there to be zero swing in the Conservative’s favour in Bromley and Bexley when ULEZ seems to be all anyone cares about on twitter, is very surprising to me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    A stronger candidate would have made it a much closer race, but I think this election shows just how much of an echo chamber the internet is. For there to be zero swing in the Conservative’s favour in Bromley and Bexley when ULEZ seems to be all anyone cares about on twitter, is very surprising to me. 
    Loads of Tory bots on social media posting in local groups.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    So well done Sadiq Khan, a win is a win, and to me it means the majority of voters in the London mayoral election care more about the health of our London children than the cost of having a motor vehicle.

I don't think that's the case tbh. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:

You quoted my post that mentioned two issues, clean air and the ULEZ, I certainly did not say I believe it was a single issue election.

Maybe food for children was another issue that swayed voters. I still say well done Sadiq Khan, and lower down in the points table, very well done (and a little bit unlucky too) to Count Binface

• Options
    edited May 4
    If we can learn anything from Khan living in the south east outskirts, it’s that you can never pay too much attention to your bubble, or your echo chamber or whatever you want to call it.  

Where I live I genuinely don’t know anyone who did or would likely vote for him.  There’s a strong disdain for him over ULEZ amongst other more sinister reasons which you can work out yourselves.  London is a huge place, and a real melting pot of outlooks on the world, and that’s a good thing.  And in short, Londoners just don’t give two hoots about ULEZ.

Whether you like him or not, he will go down as one of the most popular mayors in history.  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I hope a lot of people make the effort today.
    People made huge sacrifices for the right to vote, it isn’t yet 100 years that there has been proper gender equality of voting rights in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    I’d be happy if they brought in compulsory voting, like they did in Australia.