Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Why not make lower emissions part of the MOT. That way  everyone complies, the air gets 'cleaner' and nobody gets to line Khan's pocket
    Do you genuinely think Khan is personally profiting from ULEZ? That’s quite a claim. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Not sure I buy into this thing about Susan Hall being a political outlier tbh. On the subject of ULEZ she's been very happy to overtly perpetuate a pack of lies she knows to be untrue, whilst who knows what's been circulating away from any sort of public scrutiny via these astroturf accounts. 

On top of other elements of her character she seems very 'on brand' for her party. 
    What has she claimed about ULEZ which is untrue out of interest?
    Her whole campaign is built around it, as I'm sure you know. But the constant repeating by her and her campaign of the (non-existent) plans from Khan to introduce pay-per-mile charging eventually resulted in a complaint to the CPS. So there's that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxe8vr580no.amp
    To be clear I’m not a fan of her or her campaign. Indeed I think all the candidates are poor. 

BUT to your point I think you are saying the only lie in ULEZ is about pay per mile ?

Further though I thought several posters on here with inside knowledge of TFL have advised there was and is feasibility studies underway so not sure what the lie actually is?
    I think when you repeat the same lie over and over and over again you're getting into semantics suggesting it's not a pattern of dishonesty tbh. If your political opponent take the (highly unusual) step of reporting the matter for investigation I suspect that any justification for the claim having any proper basis in fact is thin. To say the least.

But, despite Khan's unequivocal and frequent denial of the lie, it clearly cuts through with some of the electorate. So it's job done for her campaign I suppose but we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's even a lie.
    I think we may be at crossed purposes I thought Khan had confirmed he did have a feasibility study under way?

Perhaps its precise wording we are debating in that he might say it’s not a pre determined outcome ?

in any event isn’t the ‘complaint’ in that article about the style of the leaflet as required by electoral law and not the messages/ points being made?

Pay by the mile sounds ok to me. Much fairer than charging everyone the same, when some people hardly use their cars at all. It’s just common sense isn’t it?
    You’d have to have guarantees about maximum charge limits though. 
    Daily cap, like the Oyster system for public transport,  perhaps?
    Yes. Or there could be an algorithm, rather than a straight cap. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Not sure I buy into this thing about Susan Hall being a political outlier tbh. On the subject of ULEZ she's been very happy to overtly perpetuate a pack of lies she knows to be untrue, whilst who knows what's been circulating away from any sort of public scrutiny via these astroturf accounts. 

On top of other elements of her character she seems very 'on brand' for her party. 
    What has she claimed about ULEZ which is untrue out of interest?
    Her whole campaign is built around it, as I'm sure you know. But the constant repeating by her and her campaign of the (non-existent) plans from Khan to introduce pay-per-mile charging eventually resulted in a complaint to the CPS. So there's that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxe8vr580no.amp
    To be clear I’m not a fan of her or her campaign. Indeed I think all the candidates are poor. 

BUT to your point I think you are saying the only lie in ULEZ is about pay per mile ?

Further though I thought several posters on here with inside knowledge of TFL have advised there was and is feasibility studies underway so not sure what the lie actually is?
    I think when you repeat the same lie over and over and over again you're getting into semantics suggesting it's not a pattern of dishonesty tbh. If your political opponent take the (highly unusual) step of reporting the matter for investigation I suspect that any justification for the claim having any proper basis in fact is thin. To say the least.

But, despite Khan's unequivocal and frequent denial of the lie, it clearly cuts through with some of the electorate. So it's job done for her campaign I suppose but we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's even a lie.
    I think we may be at crossed purposes I thought Khan had confirmed he did have a feasibility study under way?

Perhaps its precise wording we are debating in that he might say it’s not a pre determined outcome ?

in any event isn’t the ‘complaint’ in that article about the style of the leaflet as required by electoral law and not the messages/ points being made?

Pay by the mile sounds ok to me. Much fairer than charging everyone the same, when some people hardly use their cars at all. It’s just common sense isn’t it?
    You’d have to have guarantees about maximum charge limits though. 
    Daily cap, like the Oyster system for public transport,  perhaps?
    Yes. Or there could be an algorithm, rather than a straight cap. 
    Whilst I’m sympathetic to the logic of this we have pay per mile today with fuel duty. 

Im not sure therefore a cap is necessarily needed / equitable. 

A few years yet before any national scheme emerges but will be interesting to see what ultimately comes. 
  • Options
    It is great not to live in Bexley or Bromley.
    One Republic under the Catford Cat.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    Why not make lower emissions part of the MOT. That way  everyone complies, the air gets 'cleaner' and nobody gets to line Khan's pocket
    Do you genuinely think Khan is personally profiting from ULEZ? That’s quite a claim. 
    Did you not read my reply? I guess not

Some people take some things to literally 

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:

But you prefer mechanics to have the money and not TFL/Khan?
  • Options
    edited May 5
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:

But you prefer mechanics to have the money and not TFL/Khan?
    Wow

Do you not think before typing out?

Ps
    How would mechanics get the money when car manufacturers would have to make cars compliant?
  • Options
    Still sore from that remark? 😃

So you prefer TFL/Khan to have the money than the mechanics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still sore from that remark? 😃

So you prefer TFL/Khan to have the money than the mechanics.
    Not sore at all.

Just went back through my comments to see where I said that I preferred mechanics to get the money and guess what? I didn't say that at all.

Keep digging lad
  • Options
    P. S. Car made now are compliant and don't need MOTs.
  • Options
    edited May 5
    P. S. Car made now are compliant and don't need MOTs.
    How would a mechanic get the money from my claim?

Don't need MOT'S? Hmmm
  • Options
    Maybe one of the reasons ULEZ is having less of an impact in terms of elections may be that London's air quality is improving.
  • Options
    Maybe one of the reasons ULEZ is having less of an impact in terms of elections may be that London's air quality is improving.
    Anti ULEZ people would be pretty motivated to vote. But there may not be as many of them as you’d think. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Anti ULEZ people would be pretty motivated to vote. But there may not be as many of them as you’d think
    I think that's it really. There aren't as many of them as people would think. I'm not necessarily buying into some Guardian conspiracy that it's all Tories/bots/Vladimir Putin when he's bored etc but Hall literally said she would overturn ULEZ, as far as I'm concerned people have had their chances to vote against it now and didn't, Khan romped home with 16% of the vote.

If I had bothered to vote it would have been Green, I don't think Khan did a good job of implementing ULEZ, plus I don't particularly like him as he is a divisive character (or because I'm a massive racist if your ego is too fragile to handle that people have legitimately different views to you) but there's absolutely no way I would want it overturned. It would have been a huge step back.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Anti ULEZ people would be pretty motivated to vote. But there may not be as many of them as you’d think
    I think that's it really. There aren't as many of them as people would think. I'm not necessarily buying into some Guardian conspiracy that it's all Tories/bots/Vladimir Putin when he's bored etc but Hall literally said she would overturn ULEZ, as far as I'm concerned people have had their chances to vote against it now and didn't, Khan romped home with 16% of the vote.

If I had bothered to vote it would have been Green, I don't think Khan did a good job of implementing ULEZ, plus I don't particularly like him as he is a divisive character (or because I'm a massive racist if your ego is too fragile to handle that people have legitimately different views to you) but there's absolutely no way I would want it overturned. It would have been a huge step back.
    It was only ever the outer London extension that was to be reversed. Clean air in practice would not have been lost. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

It was only ever the outer London extension that was to be reversed. Clean air in practice would not have been lost. 
    It will have a benefit to those areas though won't it? 

I do agree though about seeing the management information as I doubt it will have had as big an impact as was claimed, but it will surely have had an impact. 

I'd like to see a hierarchy of what contributes to the poor air in London and I would vote for a Mayor who commits to go after the next thing, I am guessing that these cars off the road are a very very small proportion of what is causing issues.

Not wanting clean air (and I'm not aiming this at you) is absolute insanity. Somehow it has become a part of the culture wars on both sides.
  • Options
    edited May 6
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

It will have a benefit to those areas though won't it? 

I do agree though about seeing the management information as I doubt it will have had as big an impact as was claimed, but it will surely have had an impact. 

I'd like to see a hierarchy of what contributes to the poor air in London and I would vote for a Mayor who commits to go after the next thing, I am guessing that these cars off the road are a very very small proportion of what is causing issues.

Not wanting clean air (and I'm not aiming this at you) is absolute insanity. Somehow it has become a part of the culture wars on both sides.
    I don’t think there’s anyone not wanting clean air.  I think it’s more a case of faceless so called journalists polluting public opinion with climate conspiracy nonsense.  That’s inevitably lead to “it don’t help pollution anyway!”  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The truth is , Muttley
    Most of those that were affected by Ulez are getting on with life.
    Yes they have a life to lead.
    My car was crushed in September, would my car magically reappear if someone else had won as mayor?
    Even if I'd of still had the car now, would a  different mayor now get rid of ulez?
    I'm sorry for a few posters on this thread , but the truth is most of those affected have moved on.

• Options
    Exactly about moving on.

I didn’t even vote as I couldn’t find my ID but would not have voted Khan or Hall.

And that’s after having to spend £££ on a new car to replace our 12 year old car. The new car is lovely but I didn’t want it and would have bought a three year old one, but used prices were so high. (If someone says I could buy a ULEZ compliant car for 2K to replace our old S-Max I may get banned from this forum).

Huskaris hits the nail on the head about Khan.
    Bad, swift and unfair implementation and a divisive weasel (but there is no way I’m voting Tory).

ULEZ is here, the air is apparently cleaner (I imagine it definitely is on the South Circ, not so sure in Sidcup) and that’s a good thing…. but I wouldn’t have bought a diesel in 2014 if I had known about this sooner. 

Plus the scrappage scheme was only useful if you had a car worth 2K or less.

Getting angry again now, shouldn’t have read this thread.

• Options
    edited May 6
    Not read this thread before but can see the last few pages a number of people have turned it into to a full on politics thread. Please respect we no longer want that here.

Nice to see everyone complying mate 
     ULEX expansion was made a political football, so it's impossible to divorce it from politics. I do find it sad that some want to stop all political debate, when politics governs all our lives.
  • Options
    Not read this thread before but can see the last few pages a number of people have turned it into to a full on politics thread. Please respect we no longer want that here.

ULEX expansion was made a political football, so it's impossible to divorce it from politics. I do find it sad that some want to stop all political debate, when politics governs all our lives.
    It certainly governs yours 
  • Options

By ‘some’ you mean the person who owns the website?
    it was allowed to remain open when others pointed out that ULEZ had become a political football. 
  • Options

it was allowed to remain open when others pointed out that ULEZ had become a political football. 
    Seems different rules apply when you post...
  • Options

Seems different rules apply when you post...
    Yes you're right