Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Pumps

Comments

• Options
    @AndyG your comments would be appreciated. 

We have a good size cob and stone 17c building with lots of draught proofing and more insulation needed and planned. So nowhere near suitable for an air source heat pump to heat the whole house. 

We have the lounge and entrance hall fitted with wet UFH, the boiler is new and condensing oil run.

Would it be feasable/sensible to think of a heat pump air or ground source to use with the UFH and perhaps one other room with larger rads as background warmth and retain the oil combi for colder days for the rest of the house?

Ta. 
  • Options
    My bro in law has one at his place and says its excellent. Saves them a lot of money and with the govt scheme (previous one not this one just announced) it barely cost much more than a new boiler.

I've been considering it for when we do the extention we are planning (on the house we don't yet have) as we will likely need a new boiler anyway and would like to move it so might as well do it all at once. 

The tech will only get better the more schemes like this there are.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    My bro in law has one at his place and says its excellent. Saves them a lot of money and with the govt scheme (previous one not this one just announced) it barely cost much more than a new boiler.

I've been considering it for when we do the extention we are planning (on the house we don't yet have) as we will likely need a new boiler anyway and would like to move it so might as well do it all at once. 

How are you planning an extension for a house you don’t yet own?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I'm moving to a new house in the next 6 weeks, it has a 35 year old boiler that'll need replacing.

It's a late 60's house and has cavity wall insulation so a Heat Pump type system might work, need to look into it more as I'm fairlyy good with Gas boiler systems but know nothing about heat pumps really.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm moving to a new house in the next 6 weeks, it has a 35 year old boiler that'll need replacing.

It's a late 60's house and has cavity wall insulation so a Heat Pump type system might work, need to look into it more as I'm fairlyy good with Gas boiler systems but know nothing about heat pumps really.
    Similar situation with a well built 60s house! Boiler is ancient, so this might be a good opportunity. Wondering if it's worth waiting as there will always be schemes to help pay for it. Thought about solar panels as well, but the numbers didn't add up
  • Options

How are you planning an extension for a house you don’t yet own?
    About to exchange
  • Options
    I believe some of the funding from government requires you to disconnect other heating systems, in my case they even queried the fireplaces (ridiculous I know) altho the Aga was accepted, the gas boiler would have to be disconnected.
  • Options
    @AndyG stupid question, can you set the system up so you can reverse the temperature gradient, in order to cool the house in summer? It looks like that wouldn't be viable with the standard setup (unless you don't mind not having any hot water due to the shared tank), but are there ways around it?
  • Options
    It is technically feasible to reverse a heat pump to provide cooling. I am designing a lot of residential schemes and Daikin (one of the leading air conditioning manufacturers) have a system called Altherma which can run in heating and switch to cooling. The complication is that you can't really use radiators or Underfloor systems as you can't make them too cold or condensation forms. But you can use other types of cooling systems or control the water temperature so it doesn't drop too low and accept that you won't get large amounts of cooling. The good thing about cooling using the Altherma system is that the waste heat is used to heat the hot water cylinder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here’s the information we have here in Massachusetts - most people would expect heating and cooling. The high/low temperature ranges thru the year are wider than London, so if they work here, they work there, and I see plenty of houses with them

https://goclean.masscec.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/MassCEC_ASHP_GUIDE.pdf
  • Options
    Good info here. Thanks @AndyG and others 
  • Options
    StAlf198 and @SomervilleAddick that looks interesting. For properties where that's a viable option, being able to use the system for cooling as well as heating may help convince people that it's worth the outlay where they might not otherwise agree.
  • Options
    We live in an early 18th century barn with solid walls, so not an ideal candidate for a heat pump! We're off-grid for gas and we have just replaced out wet system (with tank) that ran from an oil fired Rayburn to all electric with ceramic core heaters and a 'heat battery' made by Sun Amp that gives on demand hot water and no tank. It remains to be seen how economic (or otherwise) it will be through a cold winter but the systems are working perfectly and I'm really impressed with the Sun Amp.

My only option to go green is therefore solar - we have some big roofs so it would work but at our age we'd never get the return on investment. At least we're not directly burning fossil fuels assuming renewable energy for electricity - well, apart from the log burner!   
  • Options

We have a good size cob and stone 17c building with lots of draught proofing and more insulation needed and planned. So nowhere near suitable for an air source heat pump to heat the whole house. 

We have the lounge and entrance hall fitted with wet UFH, the boiler is new and condensing oil run.

Would it be feasable/sensible to think of a heat pump air or ground source to use with the UFH and perhaps one other room with larger rads as background warmth and retain the oil combi for colder days for the rest of the house?

Ta. 
    Hi mate. I would advise you to look at a bivalant system. This is where the heat pump in installed and provides your heating etc but when it gets very cold where perhaps the heat pump would struggle then your oil boiler will take over. Any heat pump installer would be able to assist you with this.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    aliwibble said:
    @AndyG stupid question, can you set the system up so you can reverse the temperature gradient, in order to cool the house in summer? It looks like that wouldn't be viable with the standard setup (unless you don't mind not having any hot water due to the shared tank), but are there ways around it?
    Hi

No a heat pump does not provide cooling as well as it is a radiator system, some air to air systems do provide heating and cooling but as they are not considered a renewable technology there are no grants for them and they are also not accepted for RHI.
  • Options
    My brother in law recently moved up to Scotland, he has a heat pump in his place, he has also an oil burner heater, that’s runs on the same system.
    I’ve spoken to my brother about getting one for his place in Ireland, he currently has his home heated by oil.
  • Options
    I intend to keep my gas boiler and use it to heat my house and water until the Green Police  break in and rip the boiler from the wall and then cart me off to the slammer
  • Options
    you wont get RHI (the 7 year grant) if you have any other heat sources, is my understanding. Not sure about the 5k grant or how that works.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Chizz said:
    Just to reassure you @Raith_C_Chattonell there is nothing in the proposed offering that compels you to get a new boiler, to install a heat pump or to take any positive action to prevent further climate change at all.  You don't have to do it.  
    I hope lots of people do get heat pumps installed in order to offset my long haul flights.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:
    you wont get RHI (the 7 year grant) if you have any other heat sources, is my understanding. Not sure about the 5k grant or how that works.
    Hi again mate.

You do get RHI if you have an alternative heat source but it has to be metered for payment, which means that the installer needs to install a heat meter which you need to submit readings from every quarter to OFGEM and you are paid for the Kw of heat that the heat pump has delivered. It is a bit more complicated from an admin point of view than a normal "deemed" RHI payment but it is quite normal and there are alot of installations like this out there
  • Options
    interesting, it wasn't presented to me like that
  • Options
    I intend to keep my gas boiler and use it to heat my house and water until the Green Police  break in and rip the boiler from the wall and then cart me off to the slammer
    The slammer is still likely to be heated by gas!
  • Options

Change your boilers and recycle your jam jars, it's cute. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Or lead the way in introducing these things in order to drive development and technological advances that the world can follow our example from (and we can make quite a lot of money from) as well as making us less dependent on imported fossil fuels and of course lowering local levels of pollution which is the cause of considerably higher incidence of many serious illnesses and early death. 

But sure its cute. 

Even if you dont see the bigger picture point around climate change there are still a million reasons to invest in a green economy. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Ta. 
    Hi mate. I would advise you to look at a bivalant system. This is where the heat pump in installed and provides your heating etc but when it gets very cold where perhaps the heat pump would struggle then your oil boiler will take over. Any heat pump installer would be able to assist you with this.
    That's a new one on me, thanks. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Or lead the way in introducing these things in order to drive development and technological advances that the world can follow our example from (and we can make quite a lot of money from) as well as making us less dependent on imported fossil fuels and of course lowering local levels of pollution which is the cause of considerably higher incidence of many serious illnesses and early death. 

But sure its cute. 

Even if you dont see the bigger picture point around climate change there are still a million reasons to invest in a green economy. 
    Tbh even though I try to do my bit, it feels like putting on steal boots before having a gun battle. We could all be eating spuds from the garden, no meat and riding bikes and it would make barely any difference in the scheme of things. 

How are these things made ? Because Africa now has mounds of lead filled solar panels that don't work and are poluting the area. Just like with the wind turbines that can't be recycled.

• Options
    shine166 said:

Worth noting that China has 20 times more people than the UK. So they're not much worse than us really!

This is just the old argument - millions of dogs shit on the pavement every day so what's the point me cleaning up after my dog. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Shocking ain't it, but as the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Share that out per capita and also we have farmed out just most of our carbon emissions to China, USA and India etc as we no longer manufacture much these days.

Bring our manufacturing back onto our islands and do it as cleanly as possible unlike China and India in particular and the table will be fairer. 

Trouble is, that we can't as hardly anybody will buy the stuff as it will be a lot more money. 

What a conundrum. 

We are all going to hell in a hand cart and there is no will to stop it, just pretend that there is. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Worth noting that China has 20 times more people than the UK. So they're not much worse than us really!

This is just the old argument - millions of dogs shit on the pavement every day so what's the point me cleaning up after my dog. 
    Yeah but a 3rd of those people live in villages