Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Pumps

13»

Comments

• Options
    Fascinating stuff, how sad but I spent about 3 hours on YouTube looking at installations and the like.
  • Options
    John Humphrey’s has written an article in today’s Daily Mail titled
    My Heat Pump Has Left Me In The Cold.

It cost £10,000 to install. It was fitted professionally, with correct insulation, but it barely warms the house. At best it barely takes the chill off the house. 

He is still using a log burner to warm the house. A very disappointing customer.
  • Options
    John Humphrey’s has written an article in today’s Daily Mail titled
    My Heat Pump Has Left Me In The Cold.

It cost £10,000 to install. It was fitted professionally, with correct insulation, but it barely warms the house. At best it barely takes the chill off the house. 

He is still using a log burner to warm the house. A very disappointing customer.
    I've read or seen a few videos with similar stories. The trick seems to be you have to have the heating on all the time so that the house never drops below a certain level, that'd drive my wife nuts :-). Those with underfloor heating seem to do better with the heat pumps than radiators.

Also quite a few disappointed people with hot water as to how long it takes to get up to temp (and it seems a lower temp).

As I'll be needed a new heating system in the new house fairly soon (i.e. in the new year) I don't think I'll switch away from Gas until it's developed the tech further. That said my friend has under ground heat source, but he lives on 13 acres and dedicated a hole field to it!

What Bob has gone for with the sunamp seems a better alternative from what I've been reading/watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBCitWxfk0
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We live in an early 18th century barn with solid walls, so not an ideal candidate for a heat pump! We're off-grid for gas and we have just replaced out wet system (with tank) that ran from an oil fired Rayburn to all electric with ceramic core heaters and a 'heat battery' made by Sun Amp that gives on demand hot water and no tank. It remains to be seen how economic (or otherwise) it will be through a cold winter but the systems are working perfectly and I'm really impressed with the Sun Amp.

My only option to go green is therefore solar - we have some big roofs so it would work but at our age we'd never get the return on investment. At least we're not directly burning fossil fuels assuming renewable energy for electricity - well, apart from the log burner!   
    Logs aren't fossils. As new trees are growing all the time, I'd say that's renewable energy!

Can you tell I love my log burner?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    bobmunro said:
    We live in an early 18th century barn with solid walls, so not an ideal candidate for a heat pump! We're off-grid for gas and we have just replaced out wet system (with tank) that ran from an oil fired Rayburn to all electric with ceramic core heaters and a 'heat battery' made by Sun Amp that gives on demand hot water and no tank. It remains to be seen how economic (or otherwise) it will be through a cold winter but the systems are working perfectly and I'm really impressed with the Sun Amp.

My only option to go green is therefore solar - we have some big roofs so it would work but at our age we'd never get the return on investment. At least we're not directly burning fossil fuels assuming renewable energy for electricity - well, apart from the log burner!   
    Logs aren't fossils. As new trees are growing all the time, I'd say that's renewable energy!

Can you tell I love my log burner?
    True - but burning wood emits more CO2 than gas or oil!

I’m not giving ours up either!