Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    always a good game v Sunny and this will be no exception especially as I expect a new manager bounce for us and a decent team selection and tactical nous at last.
    4 4 2 please Jonny ..  Henderson in goal and Davison alongside Stockley up front, a pairing which was never tried by Adkins so far as I can remember .. Clare, Gilbey and Arter in the midfield .. Jaiyesemi is our most dangerous winger and should play, no Leko, he's flattered to deceive so far this season .. @ForeverAddickted's back four looks decent , Famewo has become a bit of a liability and Pearce for all his limitations should come in, Souare has pace and not a lot else, Purry for me

Sunderland are in good form home and away though inconsistent Pompey put 4 past them at Fratton Park .. they have become a hard nosed, hard to beat team and McGeady is still pulling the strings at the age of 76 (ish)
    I expect at least a point and a win would not surprise me, we are due a big one

Sunderland 0 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    Would like to see a change of keeper but think he will go with:

Mac
    Gunter. Lavelle Fam. Purrington
    Leko. Arter. Gilbey.  Lee
    Stockley Washington

442 keep it simple.

• Options
    You only play one ‘fancy’ player at a time away.
    In rank order we have
    Leko
    CBT
    DJ
  • Options
    0-1
    A splendid performance and we spend the next week debating what Adkins was doing wrong.

😇
  • Options
    One big fat, but very welcome 0-0 point.

MacGillivray
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington
    Morgan Arter Clare Gilbey Leko
    Stockley

Morgan in a Graham Stuart type right midfield role
  • Options
    Jackson really has to set us up differently, if he wants to stamp his authority as being very different to how Adkins was before it needs to happen immediately.

This could be a formation change or a complete personel change. Maybe bringing some players in from the cold or promoting a youth player or two. 

Either it goes really well and we play a spirited 90 minutes, but probably still lose, or the changes just confuse the team and we get hammered. 

Hoping for a spirited and battling draw. 
  • Options
    4-0.  Names and formation aside, simply not fit enough to compete at this level.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Jackson really has to set us up differently, if he wants to stamp his authority as being very different to how Adkins was before it needs to happen immediately.

This could be a formation change or a complete personel change. Maybe bringing some players in from the cold or promoting a youth player or two. 

Either it goes really well and we play a spirited 90 minutes, but probably still lose, or the changes just confuse the team and we get hammered. 

Hoping for a spirited and battling draw. 
    We have a big squad giving him plenty of options. Agree about bringing in youth players & players back in from the cold.

The likes of Dobson, DJ & Elerewe are all good options to bring back into the fold.

It will also be interesting to see who he picks most as our full backs. None of Gunter, Matthews, Souare or Purrington have played well and claimed a full back spot as their's so far.
  • Options
    MacG
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Arter, Morgan
    Lee
    Washington, Stockley

Im convinced we don’t lose this, new manager bounce, Sunderland on 100% home record, it points to us nicking a point. 

1-1 Washington (pen)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I expect a reaction from the players and good support from the traveling away fans

I don't expect anything other than a defeat though, it's too early for any major change in performance levels
  • Options
    To be honest a lot of our players have enhanced their reputation recently by not being in the side. 

Can't see a lot of personnel changes but maybe a change of formation and a team playing for each other and the shirt. 

• Options
    No free hits in this League, especially when you are in the relegation places. Every single point must be fought for & there can be no sloppy mistakes or not taking your chances.

No idea of the line up but I bet JJ wont be going gun-ho. Expect a few changes from Tuesday (why break a habit) and I expect it wont be the same as many on here predict. In a funny way I reckon we'll win this.

1-2 and we come back from Wearside with the points once again. 
  • Options
    Crazy how we really don’t have a choice at right back. I suppose you have to pick someone 
  • Options
    Clare/ RB
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Can’t see us getting anything out of this. Our players just can’t defend 
    I think they probably can in a different system. Purrington certainly can, and has shown it in big matches in the past, but no full back can defend with a three man midfield and wingers that don't track back. Hopeful they'll be less exposed tomorrow with a different formation. I can't see how you can play Leko and CBT at the same time unfortunately.
    I suspect we'll put up a good fight but end up narrow losers, just like the 2-1 in 2018 when Taylor scored the penalty on his debut.
    A win would be a massive massive boost to morale though.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Not a great time to be a Sunderland fan, first the Saudis take over the black and white stripey team down the road and then Jackson’s red and white army rocks up for a 3-0 win to their nemesis team. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Never get any luck against Sunderland 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Johnnie, oh Johnnie Jackson, takes the team for me!
  • Options
    New era and a good one to start with. No pressure on us, hopefully the team will play with freedom and Jackson courage. 0-0, why not?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Woke up this morning feeling fine
    I’ve got Charlton on my mind
    Jackson’s got us playing the way we should, oh yeah
    Something tells me I’m into something good
  • Options
    Maybe the level of performance is more important than the result, sounds like a daft thing to say but we need to establish a way of playing that suits the squad. Narrow 2.1 defeat. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Maybe the level of performance is more important than the result, sounds like a daft thing to say but we need to establish a way of playing that suits the squad. Narrow 2.1 defeat. 
    100% agree for me the result tomorrow isnt the important thing I want to see a different plan than what we have had so far this season. As I said earlier on it will be interesting if it happens if so it was obviously Adkins plan if it doesnt then someone else is behind it. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Jackson had a dream
    To build a football team
    With Sandgaard’s backing he’ll bring the good times home
    With Mac at the back and Stockley in attack
    We’re Charlton Athletic
    We’re on our way back
    We deserve to get relegated if we start singing this
    Took me 20 seconds so give a little credit 😂
  • Options
    Damp squib. 1-0 to Sunderland
  • Options
    I just hope we don’t play 433, we constantly get caught out down the flanks and through the middle. Just keep it simple two banks of 4 and 2 up top. Simples