Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
The dawn of a new era. Or at least we blinmmin' hope so. 

He had to walk; poor old Nige finally got put out of his misery, despite pretending that the birds were still singing and the sun shining.
But he always knew walking was brilliant. 

It's all yours now, Jacko. Your big chance that you've been waiting for.
And we're right behind you!

Sunderland has a few issues too ... their injuries are starting to stack up, plus they've got a further couple of doubts today.

Our line up? Anyone's guess. 

Charlton: MacGillivray; Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington; Leko, Dobson, Gilbey, Lee; Stockley (c), Washington 

Subs: Henderson, Pearce, Watson, Clare, Jaiyesimi, Blackett-Taylor, Davison 

PS: Don't forget pre-match with Scotty, Curbs and Steve Brown at 2.15, Charlton TV.

Comments

• Five changes!

• I like that team and formation. We will see.
  • 4-4-2?
  • Much happier with that team. Solid back four. Legs in midfield and Washington in the side next to Stockley. 
  • And it looks like a change of formation ..... 4-4-2?

• Arter injured?

• If everyone puts the effort in and don't decide to go missing, I can see that as our regular lineup. 

The wide players will need to work hard defensively. 
  • Decent team tbf
  • daveroan said:
    Arter injured?

He had a hamstring strain last saturday, I seem to remember reading.

• Sponsored links:

• Doesn’t look like 442 to me 433 or 4231 ? 
  • Doesn’t look like 442 to me 433 or 4231 ? 
    What formation do Sunderland play?

CurbsJacko might plan to match them up?

• I've wanted Washington and Stockley up top for weeks. 

Not surprised to see us revert to the tried and tested Purrington/Matthews full back combo, too. 

I hope the four in midfield start out ad one winger and three keeping it mostly tight - Curbs style. 

COYR

Let's defy the odds and get a win 
  • 4-4-2
    Washington right of midfield 4 I guess and switching with Lee
  • Tydeman injured?
    Yeah, believe so. Not sure when he's ready to return, after missing the last 40 years. 

• edited October 2021
    Slightly damp in France at the mo.. ;)
    Looking forward to Jacko's first match in the hot seat incl an "exclusive" interview , also catching up with Shaun Bartlett in South Africa, with Brownie in the studio should be a good game with the usual pre match banter...COYR let's get a good result.. B)
  • supaclive said:
    4-4-2
    Surely Leko right mid? Wash up front with The Captain?
  • Not sure how that side will line up

To me it's still too attacking, as while Washington will work hard, we've still got 4 attacking players - Stockley, Washington, Lee and Leko - which to me is one too many for a tough away game
  • edited October 2021
    supaclive said:
    4-4-2
    Either that or Jackson for the time being at the very least has stuck with the same sort of formation we've been seeing of late

MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
    Dobson - Gilbey
    Lee
    Leko - Stockley - Washington

Would make sense to leave things alone for now with the only change the players themselves.

Two days isnt enough to start a whole revolutionary new style of play.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    4-4-2
    Yes, I can't see Washington starting in a position he has never started a game for us in. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    And it looks like a change of formation ..... 4-4-2?

No change 4231 .. which is disappointing was hoping to see JJ stamp his mark on it 

Washington Leko wide Stockley up top on his own .. Dobson holding mid .. with Gilbey and Lee pushing on 
  • mendonca said:
    supaclive said:
    4-4-2
    Yes, I can't see Washington starting in a position he has never started a game for us in. 
    Sorry I meant left midfield!
  • I've always thought that if we get the midfield sorted, then the defence gets protection and the front man doesn't get isolated.

I'm hoping that the first issue addressed is to make our midfield more compact and competitive.
    And close down the acres of space that we've presented to opponents in the middle of the park.

Plus give the fullbacks the protection needed.

Looking better hopefully with a front 2 ..... IMO to be consistently effective, strikers need to work in tandem.

• Oggy Red said:
    Tydeman injured?
    Yeah, believe so. Not sure when he's ready to return, after missing the last 40 years. 

No statement from the club either. It's poor all-round. 
  • edited October 2021
    Feels like a 4-3-3 off the ball to me, though I expect on the ball we have the ability to be more fluid. Would love to see Lee, Leko, Washington and Stockley (to some extent) interchange positions when we are.
  • Glad to see Dobson back in. COYR
  • Scottie's borrowed our Henry's cardie again.

• Cmon you Addicks!

Here in hope and bollocks to expectation!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!