Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insulate Britain - Part 2

13»

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to them, while also hoping no-one gets hurt and no-one misses an important appointment!

The UN Emissions Gap report suggests current plans are far too weak; 
    "To stand a chance of limiting global warming to 1.5C, we have eight years to almost halve greenhouse gas emissions: eight years to make the plans, put in place the policies, implement them and ultimately deliver the cuts," said Inger Andersen, executive director of Unep." - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59049770

Once that tipping point comes in global warming, there's no going back. I think more desperate forms of protest are inevitable.
    prick
    You what? I suggest you take that back @Hartleypete or try to explain yourself.
    This is the public internet, not the football terraces of old!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Why did Talkradio think this showed their presenter in a good light?  

First he thinks he's clever asking what the guys job is (IE he must be unemployed or a student), then he doesn't understand that trees grow but concrete doesn't.
    If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother.
    You feed beef burgers to swans 
    You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth 
  • Options
    Good luck to them, while also hoping no-one gets hurt and no-one misses an important appointment!

"To stand a chance of limiting global warming to 1.5C, we have eight years to almost halve greenhouse gas emissions: eight years to make the plans, put in place the policies, implement them and ultimately deliver the cuts," said Inger Andersen, executive director of Unep." - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59049770

Once that tipping point comes in global warming, there's no going back. I think more desperate forms of protest are inevitable.
    prick
    Intelligent contribution. Were you in your university debating team?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

prick
    Intelligent contribution. Were you in your university debating team?
    I was in the mass debating society at my university.
    Classic
  • Options
    Fantastic thread full of great contributions to the impending climate breakdown that's going to happen when people don't take it seriously 

Donuts 
  • Options
    Bunch of absolute wankers only intent is to cause hassle for millions of law abiding people. I really hope one of them comes a cropper, they don’t care about people trying to get to hospitals etc, pure scum.
    You’ll get some likes but that’s way OTT. Wishing death on someone, no matter how annoying you find them? Seriously?
  • Options
    The truth is that nobody really cares enough about climate change to really change their daily routine.

If a massive cut in co2 emissions really is needed, that would require people to stop flying, stop driving (even electric cars given the carbon emissions required to manufacture), and stop buying food flown into the country.

The public appetite is just not there. The consequences of that are very much unknown.
    That’s not true at all. It’s whether sufficient numbers of people care enough to make a difference that counts.
    And they’re not talking about stopping doing certain things entirely, but a reduction. 
    Fly less often, cycle or walk a bit more. Eat a bit less meat. Electric cars have a carbon footprint, but it’s much smaller than a standard car. Eat locally produced food more is possible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic thread full of great contributions to the impending climate breakdown that's going to happen when people don't take it seriously 

Donuts 
    Surely best consigned to HoC where there tends to be a few less wannabe gangsters and a few more syllables per word.
  • Options
    DPFC said:
    Apparently with half the world shut down  Virtually no planes flying  or cruise ships sailing the amount of co2 in the atmosphere actually rose to record levels. Is the whole problem really all man made or is something else going on
    India, China & The US. 

All big polluters. But of course, the planet will die if I don't recycle the packaging my take away comes in. 

Best way these protesters can change things would be to engage the leaders of those big 3 countries. Not annoy joe public. 
    How would they do that?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DPFC said:
    Apparently with half the world shut down  Virtually no planes flying  or cruise ships sailing the amount of co2 in the atmosphere actually rose to record levels. Is the whole problem really all man made or is something else going on
    India, China & The US. 

All big polluters. But of course, the planet will die if I don't recycle the packaging my take away comes in. 

Best way these protesters can change things would be to engage the leaders of those big 3 countries. Not annoy joe public. 
    How would they do that?
    Work it out, it’s not hard.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DPFC said:
    India, China & The US. 

How would they do that?
    Work it out, it’s not hard.
    Humour me, Chomsky. Let’s have the benefit of your wisdom.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DPFC said:
    India, China & The US. 

How would they do that?
    Not by blocking the M25
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DPFC said:
    India, China & The US. 

How would they do that?
    Not golfies problem, not my problem. If they care enough they will find away. But instead they are hell bent on causing unnecessary disruption on the public and going about things the wrong way.

do the government care that the m25 gets blocked for a few hours a few days a week? I think the answer is no. Will the action of the protesters make the government change, again the answer is no.

the cause is good but the protestors are going about it the wrong way.

if they care that much, they should retrain as energy performance assessors or start up an external wall insulation business
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Why did Talkradio think this showed their presenter in a good light?  

First he thinks he's clever asking what the guys job is (IE he must be unemployed or a student), then he doesn't understand that trees grow but concrete doesn't.
    If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother.
    You feed beef burgers to swans 
    You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth 
    Have you got any more of this or do you want to stop at quacking plums?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The truth is that nobody really cares enough about climate change to really change their daily routine.

If a massive cut in co2 emissions really is needed, that would require people to stop flying, stop driving (even electric cars given the carbon emissions required to manufacture), and stop buying food flown into the country.

The public appetite is just not there. The consequences of that are very much unknown.
    That’s not true at all. It’s whether sufficient numbers of people care enough to make a difference that counts.
    And they’re not talking about stopping doing certain things entirely, but a reduction. 
    Fly less often, cycle or walk a bit more. Eat a bit less meat. Electric cars have a carbon footprint, but it’s much smaller than a standard car. Eat locally produced food more is possible. 
    DPFC said:
    India, China & The US. 

That’s how I see it.
    It’s like the world is like a leaking dam with various sized holes.
    We can do our bit to plaster over our relatively small hole. But unless those with holes that are getting bigger close up theirs,, then the whole dam will collapse.
    The bigger holes get closed, more pressure is put on the smaller ones to get theirs done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:
    It was the same when that bloody selfish woman Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus. I mean it was a good cause and all that but she ended up annoying all those decent white people going about their lawful business.

She should have took her protest to the leaders of Alabama State …. Yeah that was the answer. Civil disobedience never works, and never can be justified 

Said no-one,in their right mind, ever.
    No but this issue hasn't become the narrative though has it. 

The narrative, like with ER has become people causing disruption to normal folk going about their daily business. 

As a result of total chaos the news agenda hasn't shifted to the benifits of insulating every home in Britain, how much am impact it would have on carbon output, why its more deserving of government funding than x, y or x.

I haven't heard/seen a single news item explaining the actual benifits of either me improving the insulation of my home or of the government paying for it.

You could say that's the media's fault but by definition it makes the whole protest a failure.  You need to win hearts and minds. 
  • Options
    With protests you start at a low level and hope you can draw attention to your cause. Then hopefully your protest gains momentum and is noted further up the food chain. Insulate Britain have certainly done that, like them or loathe them. I'm not someone who joins in with these type of groups but unless some speak up and try and change the way the world to waste less nothing ever will be done. Our homes in this country are appallingly constructed and maintained.  If its left to energy suppliers and businesses we will consume this planets precious resources at everyone's cost. I do try and do my bit and I'm fortunate that I'm able to do so because it cost a great deal to make homes energy efficient, something I started doing 10 years ago. 
    Hopefully our government will take notice and try to formulate a plan of action with other nations but I don't hold out much hope. They  voted this week to allow private water company's to continue to dump thousands of tons of shit and other nasties into and onto our water ways, coastlines and beaches.

• Options
    In other news, has anyone glued their arse to the tarmac?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    holyjo said:
    It was the same when that bloody selfish woman Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus. I mean it was a good cause and all that but she ended up annoying all those decent white people going about their lawful business.

She should have took her protest to the leaders of Alabama State …. Yeah that was the answer. Civil disobedience never works, and never can be justified 

The narrative, like with ER has become people causing disruption to normal folk going about their daily business. 

As a result of total chaos the news agenda hasn't shifted to the benifits of insulating every home in Britain, how much am impact it would have on carbon output, why its more deserving of government funding than x, y or x.

I haven't heard/seen a single news item explaining the actual benifits of either me improving the insulation of my home or of the government paying for it.

You could say that's the media's fault but by definition it makes the whole protest a failure.  You need to win hearts and minds. 
    I would have thought the benefits of insulating your home are obvious. Insulation prevents heat loss and you therefore pay less to heat it.

On a wider scale, less energy is needed and whilst fossil fuels are still being used to heat homes, any reduction in their use is beneficial to the planet as a whole.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    holyjo said:

I would have thought the benefits of insulating your home are obvious. Insulation prevents heat loss and you therefore pay less to heat it.

On a wider scale, less energy is needed and whilst fossil fuels are still being used to heat homes, any reduction in their use is beneficial to the planet as a whole.
    Yes of course I know why its a good idea.  I am making the point that it hasn't driven the news agenda.    The news agenda is "dick heads block the road, again".

The "watercooler" chat is all about the roads being blocked, nothing about how good or valid their position and proposition is. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!