Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Signed Merchandise

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Belv said:
    Gribbo said:
    Suppose the comparison would be; if Rolex turned out a batch of utter shit timepieces over the last couple of months, then asked the people who bought them if they want to buy another one sign by the same watchmaker
    Or if Rolex were usually happy for you to drop off a watch to them for them to sign for free but then suddenly decided they would charge £150 instead.
    No, that would be a piss take and likely not to be a roaring success with people queuing up to buy them. The same as selling a signed Charlton shirt for £150.

However I would not use the word ‘despicable’ to describe the practice - which was the point of my analogy. I may choose to use that word if it was an item you had to buy.

I’ll grant that Rolex may have been an extreme example!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The Rolex comparison is a nonsense on so many levels.

I agree its a bit of a piss take. Small time revenue generation in the scheme of things for something that the club (and other clubs) used to do to secure support and build goodwill amongst the supporters.

Its no different to waiting outside the players entrance, asking for an autograph, and being told it will cost a fiver.

It looks like its been dreamt up by the commercial mastermind that offered 20p off a bottle of beer on a specific Saturday in December as a reward for spending a couple of hundred quid on a season ticket.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Belv said:
    Gribbo said:
    Suppose the comparison would be; if Rolex turned out a batch of utter shit timepieces over the last couple of months, then asked the people who bought them if they want to buy another one sign by the same watchmaker
    Or if Rolex were usually happy for you to drop off a watch to them for them to sign for free but then suddenly decided they would charge £150 instead.
    No, that would be a piss take and likely not to be a roaring success with people queuing up to buy them. The same as selling a signed Charlton shirt for £150.

However I would not use the word ‘despicable’ to describe the practice - which was the point of my analogy. I may choose to use that word if it was an item you had to buy.
    Well if you’re comfortable with the club charging fans £25 to get a player to record a small message - something they’ve usually done for free anyway in the past, which also probably costs them nothing at all then fair enough. I’m not comfortable with it and find it despicable.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    As the great wordsmith Chris Solly would say…

Baggy 
    Leave off with the baggy.
    You're 48 years old
    Get with it grandad. You probably still think sick means ill :-) 
    Right on!
  • Options
    Belv said:
    bobmunro said:
    Belv said:
    Gribbo said:

Well if you’re comfortable with the club charging fans £25 to get a player to record a small message - something they’ve usually done for free anyway in the past, which also probably costs them nothing at all then fair enough. I’m not comfortable with it and find it despicable.
    Can you post me the link where they offered this service for free previously?

I am sure if there is sick fan or child they would still send these messages for free. However they  can’t be expected to do it for every Tom, Dick or Floyd who wants a message for someone’s birthday 
  • Options
    And another thing, no-one is going to "attain" a highly sought after item. They may, however, "obtain" something. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Belv said:
    bobmunro said:
    Belv said:
    Gribbo said:

Can you post me the link where they offered this service for free previously?

I am sure if there is sick fan or child they would still send these messages for free. However they  can’t be expected to do it for every Tom, Dick or Floyd who wants a message for someone’s birthday 
    It’s never been an offered service, but my point is they’ve recorded messages in the past, without charging £25 which is extortionate really for what it is. . 

They’re not expected to do it for every Tom, Dick and Harry, I dare say they are very rarely asked to do such a thing.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Baggy 
    You're 48 years old
    If Sick means ill, then what does ill mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got Ben Watson to wish my German pal ‘Wandering’ Hans a successful Friday night sharking down the Millers

Said he’d refund the £25 tomorrow if Hans sends him some action pics. 
    You mean whaling down the Millers, surely 
  • Options
    The prices for the men's team are ridiculous enough. But those prices for the women's team are even worse.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    @blackpool72 Grandkids ring the club up.
    Its Grandads 80th birthday next month can you do a video message for him his been a supporter for 70 years.
    Course we can that'll be £25.
    It's not right.
    👹👹👹👹
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    clb74 said:

Baggy 
    You're 48 years old
    If Sick means ill, then what does ill mean?
    "Ill put the bins out"
  • Options
    Premium prices for signatures of players that have got us to near bottom of league one. In a way I admire the audacity. 
  • Options
    What crazy dude thought outside the box during this office think tank to get some new ideas in the pipeline  …
    load of old shit 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What crazy dude thought outside the box during this office think tank to get some new ideas in the pipeline  …
    load of old shit 
    Exactly that. Someone has an objective to increase their bottom line so they are scraping the barrel to come up with any old shite.

And all while the fans have been served up the biggest pile of steaming turd to watch in living memory. Magic.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    @blackpool72 Grandkids ring the club up.
    Its Grandads 80th birthday next month can you do a video message for him his been a supporter for 70 years.
    Course we can that'll be £25.
    It's not right.
    It's not right, @blackpool72 is 81
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Mrs Halix says  "If you really want one, get one as your Christmas pressie!"
    I said "Who wants this teams signatures, let alone for £150!!!"

Somehow I can't foresee a huge queue.
  • Options
    Might get Chris Gunter round to cut our grass for £40? 
  • Options
    Yeah it’s a shit idea. Which is why I won’t buy one. But why there is so much need to be outraged all the time?
  • Options
    I’ve never understood collecting signed stuff. To me it just spoils the thing signed.
  • Options
    Squad full of wasters, sat in the relegation zone of league one. Who tf is paying for their signatures?? 😂

Commercial department continue to be completely tone deaf. 
  • Options
    Can't believe why people are getting upset at this! FFs, if you don't want it don't buy any! Simple. I won't either but there are many things the clubs does I don't buy from items in the shop, jackpot tickets and other things. Doesn't mean the club shouldn't do it. Please shut up moaning at everything