Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nuno is a goner at Spurs after 4 months

Comments

• Options
    Offered Conte an 18 month contract. Levy not looking for Conte to build a footballing dynasty then
    Conte is a manager who comes in and turns a club around, but generally after a while he upsets people and then he'll be gone. There's a reason he's never spent more than 3 years at a club.

But you can't argue with his record.

Juventus finished 7th, he took over. Champions.
    Chelsea finished 10th, he took over. Champions.
    Inter finished 4th, he took over. Champions.

I think Spurs might break that run though. 
    He won't win a thing with this squad. They have to have a total re-build to do anything and that will probably mean selling Kane to do so but would Levy give Conte the funds to do that in the knowledge he isn't going to be here after the end of next season?
  • Options
    Offered Conte an 18 month contract. Levy not looking for Conte to build a footballing dynasty then
    Conte is a manager who comes in and turns a club around, but generally after a while he upsets people and then he'll be gone. There's a reason he's never spent more than 3 years at a club.

But you can't argue with his record.

Juventus finished 7th, he took over. Champions.
    Chelsea finished 10th, he took over. Champions.
    Inter finished 4th, he took over. Champions.

I think Spurs might break that run though. 
    He won't win a thing with this squad. They have to have a total re-build to do anything and that will probably mean selling Kane to do so but would Levy give Conte the funds to do that in the knowledge he isn't going to be here after the end of next season?
    You'd assume that Conte will only go there if he's given certain assurances.

He isn't a manager desperate for work and i doubt whether the difference between Spurs paying him 10m or 20m a year matters too much to him and he isn't the type of guy to be happy to go there just to dick around in 6th/7th, he'll want instant results.

To do that, he will need money to spend and we all know Spurs are stretched by the stadium payments, so you can only assume Kane will have to go to fund a rebuild.
  • Options
    Levy’s last chance at making a decent managerial appointment before the fans turn on him imo.  I know a number of them aren’t happy with him already, but he can at least fall back on the business element of what he’s brought to the club, but that won’t last 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Levy will try to continue with his strategy of pretending to have ambition just to appease the fans, when really he's happy to keep the big money-making machine chugging along. 

I don't know what top manager in their right mind would take this job. 
  • Options
    It’s true, they rarely win trophies unless the year begins with 1 ….

• Options
    The problem spurs have is they don’t understand how little they are compared with their own jumped up view. 

Average premiership team with an empty trophy cabinet. 

They tried to get a big name in the summer and failed. I’m pretty certain that conte is window shopping and possibly trying to force through something elsewhere rather than 100% keen on the spurs job
  • Options
    The problem spurs have is they don’t understand how little they are compared with their own jumped up view. 

Average premiership team with an empty trophy cabinet. 

They tried to get a big name in the summer and failed. I’m pretty certain that conte is window shopping and possibly trying to force through something elsewhere rather than 100% keen on the spurs job
    Whilst their trophy cabinet is pretty bare in recent times, they're still a big club. 60k stadium, reached a CL final three seasons ago, and three top 3 league finishes in the last 6 seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon Conte will sign for Spurs, a club despite the sniggers is a sleeping giant, great stadium, superb training ground, mixed ability playing staff but one with some great players .. Paratici, the Spurs M D of Football is, like Conte an Italian. The two will work well together and, let's not forget, Conte will be earning absolute shedloads of £,$, or €
  • Options
    Nuno must have known what a snide operator Levy has always been
    Always seemed to come across as a straight up genuine person when at Wolves.
    His whole persona was different as soon as he donned the Spurs kit
    He will have been very handsomely rewarded for such a short gig
    Getting sacked by that snake shouldn't prove too much of a blot on his CV - some will see it as a plus!
  • Options
    What would have kept Nuno his job? Another point?
    What was levy expecting? 

Arteta didn't get sacked and they had a beyond dreadful start.

Incredibly fickle.

I think Nuno got sacked because he most likely openly spoke his mind and complained about certain circumstances.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely stunned that it looks like Conte is gonna take the Spurs job when the Man Utd job is likely to be available by Christmas!!
  • Options
    On the stadium side of things it's hard to argue a much better stadium. It really is an amazing stadium for football. That's the only positive I can see that Levy and Co have done.

• Options
    They're definitely not a tin-pot club, not with a billion pound stadium. I don't like Spurs & I definitely don't like their fans. I do wonder though if you asked the fans, would you rather the old stadium & 10 years of success or the new stadium with no success. I can't help but think they've done it the wrong way around!!
  • Options
    I'm absolutely stunned that it looks like Conte is gonna take the Spurs job when the Man Utd job is likely to be available by Christmas!!
    I feel like he must've got word that if they did sack Ole then they'd go for someone like Zidane instead of him. Otherwise there's no real reason he wouldn't wait.
  • Options
    They're definitely not a tin-pot club, not with a billion pound stadium. I don't like Spurs & I definitely don't like their fans. I do wonder though if you asked the fans, would you rather the old stadium & 10 years of success or the new stadium with no success. I can't help but think they've done it the wrong way around!!
    I'd have Spurs fans listed about 6th in my most disliked London fans.
    Success on the pitch is always the best way to get fans into a new stadium.
    The amount of West Ham fans that vowed to never attend London Stadium. Take a look at their recent attendances. No coincidence that their results and play on the pitch has got the fans onside.

• Options
    Give me Spurs over Arsenal any day of the week.
    100%.  Arsenal are right up there in my list of most hated teams. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feel so sorry for Spurs supporters with what they have to endure.
  • Options
    Levy totally cocked up the Kane deal in the summer, he now has a completely disinterested player on his hands who is, in turn, dragging the team down with him.

Kane did an amazing job for Spurs 230 goals in 350 games over ten seasons so why not just take the money and let him go?

Sure, Spurs would have struggled without him but it is as plain as dogs balls that the bloke doesn't want to be there so they are struggling anyway!

The problem they have now is that he will be a year older when he leaves and in poor form so his value will decrease anyway.

Nuno was on a hiding to nothing but has probably trousered about 2-3 million quid in compensation so let's not feel too sorry for the bloke.
  • Options
    Levy totally cocked up the Kane deal in the summer, he now has a completely disinterested player on his hands who is, in turn, dragging the team down with him.

Kane did an amazing job for Spurs 230 goals in 350 games over ten seasons so why not just take the money and let him go?

Sure, Spurs would have struggled without him but it is as plain as dogs balls that the bloke doesn't want to be there so they are struggling anyway!

The problem they have now is that he will be a year older when he leaves and in poor form so his value will decrease anyway.

Nuno was on a hiding to nothing but has probably trousered about 2-3 million quid in compensation so let's not feel too sorry for the bloke.
    Because the money City offered was nowhere near Spurs' valuation.

As far as i'm aware Spurs wanted 150m and City offered a take it or leave it 100m. Had they offered 125-130 then i'm sure something could've been negotiated, but 100m in todays market for England's star striker with years left on his contract is a bit of a piss take.

In hindsight given Kane has practically downed tools, it's easy to say they should've taken 100m but at the time they'd have been mad to accept that.
  • Options

As far as i'm aware Spurs wanted 150m and City offered a take it or leave it 100m. Had they offered 125-130 then i'm sure something could've been negotiated, but 100m in todays market for England's star striker with years left on his contract is a bit of a piss take.

In hindsight given Kane has practically downed tools, it's easy to say they should've taken 100m but at the time they'd have been mad to accept that.
    100 million would have still been huge money, especially for a near 30 year old player.

What will Spurs get for him at the end of the season?

Its far worse for Spurs having him in the team like this, all his team mates know he wanted to leave and that he does not want to be there.

Levy has ended up with the worst of all worlds.
  • Options

But look at the situation Spurs are in now.

Poor hindsight from Levy there. Great hindsight from city!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I don't think it will be. The United board really, really, really don't want to sack Solskjaer. They like him, and he's an unproblematic manager for them behind the scenes. he's upbeat, doesn't create problems or shout about money, doesn't criticise them publicly for their handling of the club or funds and mostly keeps the players happy. United aren't really a football club like they were, they're a multimedia empire. They bring in noodle sponsors, tyre sponsors, laundry sponsors, they have an official wine sponsor, a mattress & pillow partner and, genuinely, an official global lubricant sponsor (sadly it's Gulf Oil International). As long as Utd qualify consistently for the Champions League and continue to be a big name Ole will stay, and he'll get a big name signing every so often that doesn't cater to what he needs but what the club profile demands to keep the hashtags coming in and the online engagement numbers looking healthy. That's why Woodward kept his job for so long; Alexis Sanchez might have been terrible but did you see the numbers on that stupid piano announcement video they did? Big money for the Glazers' pockets that. Ronaldo isn't a holding midfielder, but in shirt sales alone he's probably bought Joel Glazer another yacht or Lego Batman playset or whatever the hell he spends his money on. The only way Ole goes is if he absolutely falls apart and they lose 10 in a row and the noise around him becomes just too loud. That takes some doing though, it wasn't until the European Super League stuff that Woodward was finally forced to turn it in and he's presided over Utd's worst trophy drought since the 80s. Solskjaer will probably go on a winning run here, a losing run there and end up roughly between 4th and 6th depending on how badly teams like West Ham tire and general luck. If Utd qualify for the CL 3 years out of 4 that will be good enough until Woodward is replaced by someone who actually wants Utd to compete as a football team, and that person is unlikely to come in while the Glazers are there drinking the club's milkshake. I can see why Conte wouldn't hold out for that job, but he's not going to have a much happier time at Spurs to be honest.
  • Options

£75m cash (spread over 3 years, not up front) and £25m in unrealistic add ons.
    That has been confirmed by 4-5 different sources close to the THFC board, including Alastair Gold, the Spurs journalist closer than anyone to the board.
    As much as I hate Levy and the way he runs Spurs as a business rather than a football club, no one can argue against why he told City to do one.

Yes, Kane has downed tools, its pretty clear he has but thats down to him.
    You can bang on about the alleged Gentlemen's agreement but that would only ever have been he could go if the clubs valuation was met.  It wasn't anywhere close to being met.  So here we are.  If City come back in at £120m cash, with at least £100m up front, then I'm pretty sure Levy would let him go.  Cash flow is king.

Kane's Spurs legacy is damaged beyond recognition now.  I liken it to dating a blonde for years.  She was utter filth in the bedroom and you was so happy.  You just couldnt get enough of her.  Then you find out she was flirting with the fella just up the road.  Not just flirting, then you find out she slept with him.  You accept it, you move on in your head yet one day she turns up back on your doorstep.  You accept her back, just when you was eyeing up some fun with the two sisters next door.  You suggest getting jiggy with it but she's not interested and all you can do is think about her with the fella up the road.

If Kane wants to blame someone for his non-move, its his idiotic brother Charlie who pretends to be a football agent.  More fool him for not putting in a release clause.

--

Re: Conte.  Blimey.  When Nuno was sacked, I was expecting Ryan Mason & Chris Powell for a while, or maybe even an Spurs man like Chris Hughton short term.  Never in a million years thought Levy and Paratici would persuade Conte to join.  Still wouldn't be surprised if it falls through at the last minute.

No doubting his pedigree but Levy and ENIC need to back him.  We ALL know what Levy and ENIC are like.

• Options
    Be interesting to see what happens if Conte does get it. If Kane really has basically given up then it's going to go one of two ways - either Conte manages to get him fired back up again and he gets some form going or there's a power struggle and it all gets messy.

Wasn't it Conte who had a huge falling out with Diego Costa at Chelsea? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Be interesting to see what happens if Conte does get it. If Kane really has basically given up then it's going to go one of two ways - either Conte manages to get him fired back up again and he gets some form going or there's a power struggle and it all gets messy.

Wasn't it Conte who had a huge falling out with Diego Costa at Chelsea? 
    yes it was, from what I saw on SSN yesterday.  He wont allow passengers, which is exactly what Spurs need right now, a mighty huge kick up the harris.