Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nuno is a goner at Spurs after 4 months

Comments

• Options
    conte appointed then
  • Options
    The speed with which Nuno has been replaced smells strongly of Conté having been lined up before NES got the bullet.
    Bang average conduct from the regime at WHL or whateverbullhsitnameitsnowgot.
    Levy's track record also suggests Nuno was a cheap place holder when Spurs didn't get who they thought they wanted, for the price they were prepared to pay at the time
    Levy gambled - and lost
    Same as with Harry Kane - Levy's brinkmanship failed there too.  He held out for a figure and no other club met that figure.
    If Spurs's form and results don't starkly improve before the end of the January window, Kane's departure will come as no surprise.  I'd make a small wager on his fee being 'undisclosed' then as well - Levy will now be doing all he can to keep the amount of egg on his face to the minimum.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    thenewbie said:
    Be interesting to see what happens if Conte does get it. If Kane really has basically given up then it's going to go one of two ways - either Conte manages to get him fired back up again and he gets some form going or there's a power struggle and it all gets messy.

Wasn't it Conte who had a huge falling out with Diego Costa at Chelsea? 
    yes it was, from what I saw on SSN yesterday.  He wont allow passengers, which is exactly what Spurs need right now, a mighty huge kick up the harris.
    @J@JohnBoyUK what do you think Conte has been promised in order to sign?

You'd assume he's been promised a ton of money to spend, but do Spurs have it (i think they had to refinance their stadium last year), and if they don't, do you think he's been told we'll look to let Kane go in January and you can have whatever we get?
  • Options
    This is on BBC Sport today.

Conte has asked Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for a transfer budget of about £237m to buy six Serie A-based players he has identified. (Calciomercato - in Italian)
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Conte has asked Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for a transfer budget of about £237m to buy six Serie A-based players he has identified. (Calciomercato - in Italian)
    Most of that will come from the sale of Kane in January 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Most of that will come from the sale of Kane in January 

And the proceeds from Doherty's sale will make up the balance
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Reading that article there's absolutely no way even half of that will happen.

Why would Chiesa or De Ligt leave Juventus for Spurs? Both could get much bigger clubs. On top of that De Ligt is a centre back, so if they did manage to get him there's no way they'd also be signing De Vrij and Romagnoli. Romagnoli is the best bet as he's out of contract in the summer so won't cost much if they go for him now.

Would also be amazed if they got Vlahovic. He's got Juve, City and Liverpool reportedly interested.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Why would Chiesa or De Ligt leave Juventus for Spurs? Both could get much bigger clubs. On top of that De Ligt is a centre back, so if they did manage to get him there's no way they'd also be signing De Vrij and Romagnoli. Romagnoli is the best bet as he's out of contract in the summer so won't cost much if they go for him now.

Would also be amazed if they got Vlahovic. He's got Juve, City and Liverpool reportedly interested.
    But that's how it works at Spurs. It has always been thus. Levy leaks that they are in for the likes Messi and Ronaldo but, for the money on offer, they end up with Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Thought he was great in Shirley Valentine
  • Options
    Something not quite right with the Spurs squad....it looks to me like a lot of player power there. It seems the players wanted rid of Mourihno. They need to get rid of a few and then buy. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The speed with which Nuno has been replaced smells strongly of Conté having been lined up before NES got the bullet.
    Levy's track record also suggests Nuno was a cheap place holder when Spurs didn't get who they thought they wanted, for the price they were prepared to pay at the time
    Levy gambled - and lost
    Same as with Harry Kane - Levy's brinkmanship failed there too.  He held out for a figure and no other club met that figure.
    If Spurs's form and results don't starkly improve before the end of the January window, Kane's departure will come as no surprise.  I'd make a small wager on his fee being 'undisclosed' then as well - Levy will now be doing all he can to keep the amount of egg on his face to the minimum.
    Haha, you sound you like him as much as I do.

JohnBoyUK said:
    thenewbie said:
    Be interesting to see what happens if Conte does get it. If Kane really has basically given up then it's going to go one of two ways - either Conte manages to get him fired back up again and he gets some form going or there's a power struggle and it all gets messy.

yes it was, from what I saw on SSN yesterday.  He wont allow passengers, which is exactly what Spurs need right now, a mighty huge kick up the harris.

You'd assume he's been promised a ton of money to spend, but do Spurs have it (i think they had to refinance their stadium last year), and if they don't, do you think he's been told we'll look to let Kane go in January and you can have whatever we get?
    Signings.  The one and only thing.  He would never have agreed to join without it.  Kane will go for the righr price, we've always said that.

We've always been told money is available but the signings have been questionable in recent years.

iaitch said:

But that's how it works at Spurs. It has always been thus. Levy leaks that they are in for the likes Messi and Ronaldo but, for the money on offer, they end up with Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente
    And thats EXACTLY how it works.

Redknapp asked for Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill but Levy got him Louis Saha and Ryan Nielsen.  A manager coach asks for target A, yet Levy and Steve Hitchen always come up with alternative target B & C.

Frankie Kessie will be on a free.  Dont forget we've already bought and loaned back Pape Sarr to Metz in France, a very highly rated DM that all the major clubs in Europe wanted.  From what I've seen of him, he looks very good and would be ideal for Conte's favoured 3-4-2-1.  Definitely need 1 if not 2 strikers though.  Assuming Kane goes of course.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

The NFL games take precedence.

Very good point.  I really liked the Spurs team a few years ago, when Kane was emerging.  I’m not even a Spurs fan but Levy really winds me up.  Said it before, looks like a budget Jeff Bezos and I think his approach to the footballing side of running the club has caught up with him.  If Conte doesn’t work out, I see them being unable to attract any sort of ‘top’ manager again.  I don’t know why they don’t give Ryan Mason a go to be honest.  I think the fans would get behind that in the way we have with Jackson 

I also think Kane has properly let himself down.  After the Euros, he should’ve been riding high.  I was always interested to see if he could run Shearer close on record Prem goals, but this season he’s absolutely dicked it.  There’s no guarantee there’s a move away now either.  Yes, City still need a forward, but at the asking price Levy wants?  I’m not so sure
  • Options
    Offered Conte an 18 month contract. Levy not looking for Conte to build a footballing dynasty then
    Conte is a manager who comes in and turns a club around, but generally after a while he upsets people and then he'll be gone. There's a reason he's never spent more than 3 years at a club.

But you can't argue with his record.

Juventus finished 7th, he took over. Champions.
    Chelsea finished 10th, he took over. Champions.
    Inter finished 4th, he took over. Champions.

I think Spurs might break that run though.
    I think it does work around the other way.

Instead of him turning them into Champions, they will turn him into a Spud 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

And Danny Murphy 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Levy gambled - and lost
    Haha, you sound you like him as much as I do.

JohnBoyUK said:
    thenewbie said:

Signings.  The one and only thing.  He would never have agreed to join without it.  Kane will go for the righr price, we've always said that.

We've always been told money is available but the signings have been questionable in recent years.

iaitch said:

And thats EXACTLY how it works.

Redknapp asked for Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill but Levy got him Louis Saha and Ryan Nielsen.  A manager coach asks for target A, yet Levy and Steve Hitchen always come up with alternative target B & C.

Frankie Kessie will be on a free.  Dont forget we've already bought and loaned back Pape Sarr to Metz in France, a very highly rated DM that all the major clubs in Europe wanted.  From what I've seen of him, he looks very good and would be ideal for Conte's favoured 3-4-2-1.  Definitely need 1 if not 2 strikers though.  Assuming Kane goes of course.
    Good luck getting decent money for Kane now. Value has dropped 
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Conte's methods work at Spurs. 

He has a six man team, three of whom are conditioning experts. One of the three, Gian Piero Ventrone is notorious in Italian football and was nicknamed the Marine by the Juve squad.  Among his techniques is the 'bell of shame', which the players have to ring when they can't go on.  Conte has booked in a number of double sessions for the next two weeks, he obviously feels that fitness (or lack of) is a major problem. 

I thought we'd moved away from these old fashioned killer sessions, players humping bags of cement up and down the terraces for eight hours a day etc.

It seems back in 65 and 66 Charlton relied heavily on their hurdling techniques for fitness and stamina levels.

While superior players concentrated more on the skill side

... and Millwall ...  well they didn't bother with either it seems.

Unlikely to be of interest, but there's a great Spurs podcast called The Extra Inch and they had an interview with an Italian journalist and Inter Milan fan last week and he gives a great insight into how Conte works behind the scenes.  

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-extra-inch-spurs-podcast/id1337670733?i=1000540501170
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair to say Conte has realised he has a bit of a job on his hands.

"I did not like what happened tonight," said Conte. "I must be honest and tell you that after three-and-a-half weeks, I am starting to understand the situation."

"I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest and tell you we need to work a lot to improve the quality of the squad. If someone thinks that a new coach arrives and Conte won in the past and then I am a magician... But the only magic I can do is to work. To bring work and work to improve, to bring my methods, my ideas of football. But we have to understand that we need time."

"It is not simple because, in this moment for sure, the level of Tottenham is not so high. The situation now is starting to be very clear in my mind. I like to win and I play to win in every competition. This must be the same for my players. This road could be one metre or 100m. I am not scared, I am ready to go and do this path. But at the same time I want to be very honest - we have to work a lot and improve in many, many aspects."

"We need time, but we have to do better in everything, everything, everything."

• Options

"I did not like what happened tonight," said Conte. "I must be honest and tell you that after three-and-a-half weeks, I am starting to understand the situation."

"I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest and tell you we need to work a lot to improve the quality of the squad. If someone thinks that a new coach arrives and Conte won in the past and then I am a magician... But the only magic I can do is to work. To bring work and work to improve, to bring my methods, my ideas of football. But we have to understand that we need time."

"It is not simple because, in this moment for sure, the level of Tottenham is not so high. The situation now is starting to be very clear in my mind. I like to win and I play to win in every competition. This must be the same for my players. This road could be one metre or 100m. I am not scared, I am ready to go and do this path. But at the same time I want to be very honest - we have to work a lot and improve in many, many aspects."

Granted there was 9 changes from Sunday and we played with 10 men for the best part of an hour but christ, we'd expect our U23s to turn a bunch of Eastern European Goat Herders over.  I've never witnessed such a lack of effort.  Dele, Ndombele, Doherty have likely played their last games for Tottenham after last night, cant see Conte putting up with lack of effort.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the post-game meeting today.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Granted there was 9 changes from Sunday and we played with 10 men for the best part of an hour but christ, we'd expect our U23s to turn a bunch of Eastern European Goat Herders over.  I've never witnessed such a lack of effort.  Dele, Ndombele, Doherty have likely played their last games for Tottenham after last night, cant see Conte putting up with lack of effort.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the post-game meeting today.
    Oi!
    Us Goat herders can be pretty nifty you know 😜
    Hubbys words were, ‘they’re the same lot who got two managers the sack’.
    Says it all imho 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    The decline of Dele’s career is bizarre. Always thought he was a bit overhyped and quite selfish on the ball but has massively underachieved considering where he was a few years ago. 
  • Options
    The decline of Dele’s career is bizarre. Always thought he was a bit overhyped and quite selfish on the ball but has massively underachieved considering where he was a few years ago. 
    He has been stealing a living for a while now - in 2016-17 he scored 23 times and that is more than he's managed in the last four seasons put together.

The starting point and "given" is effort and work rate. The rest should follow. He looks like he just can't be bothered. Too much too early? I always default to Vardy as the yardstick - he'll be 35 in January and things don't work out for him in every match but he never ever gives less than 100%. And that probably goes back to his rejection at the age of 16 by Sheffield Wednesday for being too small and the "muscle memory" of having to do long hours working in a factory. At that age Dele was already playing for MK Dons and made his England debut at 19 and probably thought he'd made it. I'm sure the comfort of earning £50m plus in the last decade probably doesn't help to fuel the desire either.
  • Options
    Not quite sure what's gone wrong with him, he was so good at 20-21 years of age, he made the premier league team of the season 2 years running and it was only 3 years ago he started for England in a world cup semi final.
  • Options
    Didn't he get in with EA Sports as one of the faces of the FIFA video games? Did this go to his head and distract from his development?
  • Options
    Dele's a strange one.  We've discussed this a few times on here havent we?  He played his best football as a secondary forward in behind Kane, almost like a false 9.  His workrate was his biggest asset.  He cant play centre mid, he cant play wide midfield.  He's like a 10 but he doesnt have the ability of a 10.  Eriksen was a proper 10.  So was Modric, Hoddle... Dele just hasnt got that in his locker.

But, the key was that first big contract.  When he first broke into the side, he was a breath of fresh air.  Then he had that big season of something like 20 goals and Levy threw the big money at him.  That was when he stopped working for the team.  I lose track of the seasons now.  I think he got the big deal at the end of 16/17 and that started the decline.  He stopped the work rate, he stopped pressing, Spurs stopped pressing and we've never hit the same heights since.  He seems much more interested in his life outside of football.  Sad to see really.  He had some bloody talent but he's wasting it.  He reminds me of David Bentley.  He could and probably should have been the next David Beckham with a wand of a right foot but lost his way.  Funny how Tottenham have a habit of ruining players lol... 
  • Options
    Of al the youngsters in the league, I thought Dele was the one gonna make it bigger than the rest