Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fans in strange places….

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    @RedChaser introducing himself to me in the toilets at Bolton for our 2-1 win.
    Very sussy geezer.
    Actually we spoke the week before at Walsall in the Saddlers club when you was up at the bar (yes it’s true folks) having some bants with the owner of the site who shall not be mentioned for banning you. I’m not sure if you was looking for back up but I didn’t wait to find out 😉
    He assaulted me with a peanut.   I had to react.
  • Options
    I met an old boy in NZ about 20 years ago now whom said he was named Charlton after the club. Thing is he must have been 70-75 odd at the time meaning he would have been born around 1925-1930.  Wish I had asked him more at the time.

I also saw a Charlton sticker in a car on Unst, the most northerly inhabited UK isle which only has a tiny population which was certainly strange.
  • Options
    Was on a response driving course in North Wales, on the motorcycle course was a Paramedic, got chatting over a beer or 2, yep he's an addict. 
    Later was on a road check, when a LAS bike went past, flash of the blues and an "Up the addicks"
  • Options
    Worked for a wine company from ‘08-‘10.
    Was preparing a stand at the HIA Home Show expo in Sydney. Started chatting football to the guy who dropped off the plants for our stand. He said he supported a team back in London called Charlton.
  • Options
    Was in Valencia doing a tour of the stadium and it turned out another Charlton fan was on it - his season ticket was a few rows behind mine. 
    Forgot about this one. Went on a Ajax stadium tour about 10 years ago.and there was a fella in a charlton shirt. He was a season ticket holder at the time. Not a clue if he posts on here. 
  • Options
    Also another that I remembered. I went to split in 2011 and went to a Hajduk home game. Got taking to a bloke sitting next to me - an Aussie who was sailing around the world. The last football match he went to was a Charlton home game - he went to a game in each country and chose Charlton as his “English team”
  • Options
    On a plane back from a work trip to Kenya. Like me was Scottish and although he was already retired, he worked for the same employer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread should be called '........unexpected places' instead of ' ........strange places.'
  • Options
    Whilst backpacking around Mexico I got a bus to Teotihuacan (an ancient Mesoamerican site which attracts some tourists, but not that many!).

When I got off the bus I was greeted by a trinket seller wearing a Charlton top, in my rudimentary spanish I understood when he told me he was a fan but it ws probably a way to get me to buy something (I didn't).

Also when backpacking in Laos I met a local on the Mekong River in a Charlton shirt but he really had no idea about us.
  • Options
    In the days when you could have a Charlton Athletic credit card I used it to pay for petrol at a filling station in the middle of Death Valley.  To my surprise the guy at the cash desk was reasonably knowledgeable about the club.
  • Options
    Years ago I was perusing the cheese selection in our local Whole Foods and the head cheesemonger (that was his official title) comes over to see if I need any help. I had my Charlton cap on, and he starts telling me about going to our games as kid growing up in Dartford. 
  • Options
    Melbourne Aus 1971, first day at new job, the paymaster came to me. He had been looking at my details and noticed the school I had attended in Blackheath and asked me if I knew his brother. Well, I did as he had quite a reputation at the school (not good). Then he asked if by chance I followed Charlton. Turns out he did also. Small world.
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    Melbourne Aus 1971, first day at new job, the paymaster came to me. He had been looking at my details and noticed the school I had attended in Blackheath and asked me if I knew his brother. Well, I did as he had quite a reputation at the school (not good). Then he asked if by chance I followed Charlton. Turns out he did also. Small world.
    Sacked the following week?
  • Options
    Once saw Kevin Nolan at Lulworth Cove, not far from where we now live &  and small village in France where we have a holiday gaff, Vouvant, there’s a Charlton fan, only because he was raised in Swanage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to the Eiffel tower as you do when in Paris, and bumped into a Charlton fan at the very top. Turns out he sat a few rows down and in the next block in the East stand as me.
  • Options
    I’ve seen Hertha play a few times in Berlin, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me. I struggle to recognise which are my kids when picking them up from school
    I was several beers in when it happened.... love going to the games there.
    Me too, there can’t be a more historically significant venue to watch a football match anywhere in the world and at the times I have been the atmosphere has been cracking
    The history there is just incredible, did the stadium tour last time we were there, its an incredible venue, and the atmosphere in and out of the stadium is top notch.
  • Options
    I met an old boy in NZ about 20 years ago now whom said he was named Charlton after the club. Thing is he must have been 70-75 odd at the time meaning he would have been born around 1925-1930.  Wish I had asked him more at the time.

I also saw a Charlton sticker in a car on Unst, the most northerly inhabited UK isle which only has a tiny population which was certainly strange.
    I know a Charlton season ticket holder who lives on Shetland so it was probably him on a visit to Unst. 
  • Options
    On holiday in Mojacar Spain right now visiting a mate, 'The President', sadly banned from here.
    Met a guy in a bar, very modest fella,  we eventually find out he's Viv Busby played for Newcastle & Luton among other clubs back on the day.
    Next day we visit Valerie's sports bar to watch England in T20 semi final.

Met Joe ' Addicted to the reds ' !
    Running the bar owned by his parents.
    Wall to wall TVs including one in gents urinals.
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    Sacked the following week?
    No. Retired 2013, same company but different role.
  • Options
    We found Charlton in a souless place....
  • Options
    I boarded a bus in Vancouver about 10 years ago with my Charlton beanie on.  The driver had emigrated to Canada many years previously from Plumstead, but was still a fan.  We talked bollocks for a few minutes like you do, until a fellow passenger politely enquired if the bus was actually going anywhere?   

Hope he did not charge you a fare.