Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton fans in strange places….

Comments

• On holiday in Mojacar Spain right now visiting a mate, 'The President', sadly banned from here.
    Met a guy in a bar, very modest fella,  we eventually find out he's Viv Busby played for Newcastle & Luton among other clubs back on the day.
    Next day we visit Valerie's sports bar to watch England in T20 semi final.

Met Joe ' Addicted to the reds ' !
    Running the bar owned by his parents.
    Wall to wall TVs including one in gents urinals.
    @Addictedoldgit - how is The President ?
    did he enjoy the Hundred !!!

always liked his posts but just went a bit far/personal which led to his ban

is he no longer in Luxembourg ?
  • edited November 2021
    Coincidentally also in Berlin we were having a quiet wander around Checkpoint Charlie and who is walking around in a bright red Charlton jacket, it's only the beer monster @Stewart

A hostel in Buenos Aires is the furthest away I've met another supporter.
  • In September this year my wife and I had a holiday in Northumberland with a couple of friends. We went to Edinburgh one day and spent the afternoon in the castle.

I was wearing one of my Charlton fleeces and as we were walking down to the Scottish War Museum a bloke walking past me said "nice jacket". I turned round and said "I assume you're extracting the urine?" to which he replied "Nah, I'm Charlton, we get ****ing everywhere!"

On the way back to the holiday cottage we stopped off at Jedburgh to find somewhere for dinner. We ended up in a curry house but we'd wandered into a couple of pubs first to see if they'd be OK for food ... and come out straight away as we'd decided "no". Walking out of one of these pubs an English-sounding woman gave a little cheer, having seen my fleece, calling out "I'm Charlton too!"

Finding one other Charlton fan on our day trip to Scotland was strange enough but then a second person, in a small Scottish town in the middle of nowhere?!
    Probably @Weegie Addick whose anglicised these days, having her late afternoon tipple 😉
  • I met an old boy in NZ about 20 years ago now whom said he was named Charlton after the club. Thing is he must have been 70-75 odd at the time meaning he would have been born around 1925-1930.  Wish I had asked him more at the time.

I also saw a Charlton sticker in a car on Unst, the most northerly inhabited UK isle which only has a tiny population which was certainly strange.
    When did you spot the car on Unst? Lived in Shetland 79/83 and visited Unst a few times. Was back there in September.
  • MrOneLung said:
    On holiday in Mojacar Spain right now visiting a mate, 'The President', sadly banned from here.
    Met a guy in a bar, very modest fella,  we eventually find out he's Viv Busby played for Newcastle & Luton among other clubs back on the day.

So The President  left Luxemburg just before Covid struck, he's spent time in South Africa ( he saw England play at Cape Town )  then in England. I think he's here in Spain for about a month.

I know he did enjoy The Hundred despite his reservations.
    Although he blew his top at England snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the world cup semi final !
  • I was in a backwater in Malaysia back in the days when we were in the Premier League. I saw two young women in a market area; one was wearing a Charlton shirt. Finding this rather remarkable, I had to ask her how long she had supported Charlton. She looked confused briefly as I pointed to her shirt. “Oh, very cheap in market. Manchester United more expensive.”
    Hello TMA.  What happened to the Prediction League this week - or did I just miss it.  I’m not too worried as my prospects for glory this season are not great.
  • Sponsored links:

• International break 
  • MrOneLung said:
    On holiday in Mojacar Spain right now visiting a mate, 'The President', sadly banned from here.

Does the President have South African links? If it is him, why is he banned?
  • Was wandering around Toronto Island 12 years ago and bumped into a chap in a Charlton top (centenary version, I think). Can’t remember who he was or why he was there, though (apologies if you’re reading this).

Also met Wyn Grant of blog fame while I was there, but had actually arranged that as we knew our paths were crossing.
  • RedChaser said:
    In September this year my wife and I had a holiday in Northumberland with a couple of friends. We went to Edinburgh one day and spent the afternoon in the castle.

I was wearing one of my Charlton fleeces and as we were walking down to the Scottish War Museum a bloke walking past me said "nice jacket". I turned round and said "I assume you're extracting the urine?" to which he replied "Nah, I'm Charlton, we get ****ing everywhere!"

On the way back to the holiday cottage we stopped off at Jedburgh to find somewhere for dinner. We ended up in a curry house but we'd wandered into a couple of pubs first to see if they'd be OK for food ... and come out straight away as we'd decided "no". Walking out of one of these pubs an English-sounding woman gave a little cheer, having seen my fleece, calling out "I'm Charlton too!"

Finding one other Charlton fan on our day trip to Scotland was strange enough but then a second person, in a small Scottish town in the middle of nowhere?!
    Probably @Weegie Addick whose anglicised these days, having her late afternoon tipple 😉
    Not guilty @RedChaser, though I’m as English-sounding as they come despite c30 years living up here. I know of a couple of other female fans in S Scotland (thanks to the Charlton Fans in Scotland group) who could be in the frame.

I did accost a man and his son, both in Charlton shirts, at Glasgow Queen Street station once. They looked very surprised and worried and hurried off. 
    Not when you've got the hump, you're not ;)<3
  • _MrDick said:
    On a Thursday, I do some work for a school that is sited deep in Crystal Palace territory. I was in the head teachers office today and this Y2 pupil was marched into the office with the teacher to be told off. Thursday is PE for Y2 and they’re allowed to wear what they want. The lad being told off was wearing a Charlton shirt! I left the room whilst he was being reprimanded. When I went back in I asked what the problem was. The lad had been telling the kids wearing the Palace shirts that they were Shite .. tried hard not to laugh and wanted to say good lad but that wouldn’t have been very professional.
    That lad will go far.  Trust me i'm a teacher!
  • Sponsored links:

• Off licence cum souvenir and postcards shop backstreet of Skala Kefalonia about 10 years ago
    Chap on the till gave no clue he had a word of English when we were asking for whatever it was we were in there for, had a Charlton fridge magnet stuck on the shelf behind him
    Me & the missus spot the magnet thing and speculate who left it there and how long ago
    Shop fella hears 'Charlton' and perks up gabbles something at us in (presumably) Greek
    Combination of pointing and his very sparse tourist English established that he used to see them on the telly but now they were rubbish, fair comment.
    Probably a stretch to call him a fan but seems Charlton's premier league adventure had permeated at least one dusty corner of the Ionian Sea
  • WPAddick said:
    Chiang Mai, Thailand. 
    Night of the 2019 play off final. 

Nah, you’re mistaken. Big Crewe fan base in Chiang Mai.
  • edited February 2022
    Tuesday night, went to a brewery near the Boston Garden before the Bruins game. Pretty empty as it was only just after 4pm. Had the Man U / Burnley game on. Bartender asks me who I support. When I say Charlton, the next guy along the bar says he’s been to the Valley when he was inLondon and starts showing me pix of the game on his phone  
  • edited February 2022
    Cracking looking bar that Elf.  @Davo55 reminds me of The Shack!