Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th November 2021 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 27th November 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield

Introduction
Much was made about the Preview produced by the opposition in midweek, it means that I'm fully under pressure to produce something similar. That said I always choose to keep my Previews a bit shorter and sweeter so you shouldn't need too long to read through this latest edition - Tuesday night proved that you cant win every game, and if you're going to drop points, surely its better to do so against those your not competing with for end of season positions.

This Saturday our depleted squad travel to Shropshire; Shrewsbury Town our latest challenger.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (21st) | Manager: Steve Cotterill
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-1 Shrewsbury Town

First off, let me start of by stressing that last season was anything but straightforward for both Shrewsbury Town and Steve Cotterill - Its been four years since their romantic season, which saw them missing out on the Championship by a single game, and in those four years, Salop have never truly been able to mount a repeat of that historic season under Paul Hurst.

Last term saw them once again flirting with relegation, that was until Sam Ricketts got the boot in November. He was then replaced by Steve Cotterill, and had he not struggled with COVID, you could question if Shrewsbury could have gone on to better things. As it was they spent just six games (out of 28) in 17th place last term, so at least they managed to achieve consistency.

Thankfully Steve has been able to return to the dugout this season, and am sure we all wish him well with his health for the future - Unfortunately though, Salop have been unable to show much consistency this term. They find themselves in the relegation zone (albeit by just one point), on the other hand Salop did manage to hold Sunderland at the New Meadow on Tuesday evening, although is that much of an achievement, given the form of the latter?

Charlton Team News
It'll get to the point soon where we'll be forced to follow Oxford's lead in training, with some of the womens team involved in training to make up the numbers - Defenders like Ryan Inniss, Sam Lavelle and Adam Matthews remain absent from the squad, whilst we're a bit touch and go on whether Jason Pearce will be able to make this weekends trip to Shropshire.

Elsewhere and Jayden Stockley serves the last game of his three match suspension, he wont be travelling to the Midlands, and instead will be the latest guest on CharltonTV. On the positive front; Jonathan Leko should be amongst the squad having returned from injury, so could well be on the bench this weekend.

Otherwise I imagine we'll see much the same of late.

MacGillivray
Clare - Gunter - Famewo
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Lee - Gilbey - Purrington
Washington - Davison

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Elerewe - Morgan - Watson - Blackett-Taylor - Kirk - Leko

Prediction
There have been endless calls in recent weeks, calling for Johnnie Jackson to rightfully be named as permanent Manager - Of course its easy to make that call when the squad is doing well, but there will equally be times when we go through a bad patch. Hopefully that wont happen too often, but you could argue that the better Managers are those who can respond to adversity when it happens.

I have no doubt that the squad will respond after a disappointing draw on Tuesday night

But there will be sterner tests to come for Johnnie and his new coaching staff.

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Jonathan Leko will be amongst the squad having returned to injury

That sounds about right
    Cheers, fixed now
  • Options
    Shrewsbury is a lovely town with some great pubs and restaurants; I wish I could make it up there this weekend...

If we are going to struggle for height once more, I'd play Elerewe instead of Gunter or Clare. We also have to manage tiredness, so please don't wait too long to make the subs for DJ and Josh this match Jacko! We have good bench resources now, so use them wisely!

Finally, Salop is the old name for Shropshire, not Shrewsbury, so please use it accordingly!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Shrewsbury is a lovely town with some great pubs and restaurants; I wish I could make it up there this weekend...

If we are going to struggle for height once more, I'd play Elerewe instead of Gunter or Clare. We also have to manage tiredness, so please don't wait too long to make the subs for DJ and Josh this match Jacko! We have good bench resources now, so use them wisely!

Finally, Salop is the old name for Shropshire, not Shrewsbury, so please use it accordingly!
    https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2021/june/marko-maroi-joins-the-salop-family/
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Leko is passed fully fit to start if he will come in place for DJ or perhaps start up top instead of Davison.
  • Options
    Back to winning ways with a 2-0 win.

Fancy Lee to bag one
  • Options
    Lee & Davison score in a 2-0 clean sheet win. 
  • Options
    Go West .. Life is peaceful there .. the Addicks wagon train sets off once more for the wild wild west .. the Shrews are struggling but managed a home point v Sunderland on Tuesday .. another game we can't take for granted but I expect us to get all three points after a tough game

Shrewsbury Town 1 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    Still hoping for a 7 point week, so that means a rewarding 1-3 away win for the travellers. 
  • Options
    Heart says narrow win, head says draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No more Gunter at centre hslf. Shrewsbury will match their bggest striker against him and we will be undone. This is a good game to introduce Elerewe alongside Famewo.
    I might even go for a back four with Clare and Purrington as full backs. The defence is our weakpoint just now and until our CBs are fit. So
    Mac
    Clare Elerewe Famewo Purrington
    DJ Gilbey Dobson Lee
    Washington Leko

Solid defence and bags of skill going forward.

If Pearce is fit we could stick with a back three, but not otherwise.
  • Options
    If we manage to play at a high tempo we should win. Blackett-Taylor and Leko look like ideal substitutes to throw on against tiring defenders, I hope they both get a run out.
  • Options
    On paper a great chance to pick up another win and continue our recent good form and momentum, football isn't played on paper and on that note 1-1 draw 

COYA!
  • Options
    I feel confident we will win the preview this week- end.

It was an embarrassing defeat on Tuesday which we need to put behind us.  We just  couldn't compete with their guest contributors,  video clips and social media links.

Saturday will see that the short one touch comments and the  classic route one approach  still has its merits. 

• Options
    Please no more Gunter at centre half. 
    Hopefully Leco will be fit to start and I reckon another win for the mighty Addicks. 
    2.1 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Please no more Gunter at centre half. 
    Hopefully Leco will be fit to start and I reckon another win for the mighty Addicks. 
    2.1 Charlton. 
    I'm not sure about Leko at centre half either.😉
    Very good 🙄
  • Options
    Sorry to say that I've got a bad feeling about this one and I think that Jacko will finally 'do a Norway.'

I hope I'm wrong and that I just have a case of the 'golfienegativitis'
  • Options
    I think we'll win this one if only because I feel like our players wont be as tired as they were in the Morecambe match. Leko is back too thats a huge plus. I'll give it a score prediction Shrewsbury 1 Charlton 2 we need pearce back.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Southbank said:
    No more Gunter at centre hslf. Shrewsbury will match their bggest striker against him and we will be undone. This is a good game to introduce Elerewe alongside Famewo.
    I might even go for a back four with Clare and Purrington as full backs. The defence is our weakpoint just now and until our CBs are fit. So
    Mac
    Clare Elerewe Famewo Purrington
    DJ Gilbey Dobson Lee
    Washington Leko

Solid defence and bags of skill going forward.

If Pearce is fit we could stick with a back three, but not otherwise.
    I expect JJ to stick with his system which he introduced for the Sunderland game. I think Davison will start with Leko on the bench. Leko to likely come on for DJ at some point. I can’t see any changes at the back unless Pearce is fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like a better solution that Gunter as our main CB but I don't think there is one at present. Moving Famewo into the middle takes away the link he has with Purrington. He also likes to do some strange stuff with the ball that will be suicidal as the central defender. 

Am glad Leko is back and would like him used as a forward. He's a Championship level player and need it to show. 
  • Options
    On Tuesday, DJ seemed to need resting, so perhaps CB-T will start and perhaps Souaré will be on the bench, but then, what do I know?  :) 
  • Options
    Possible team......
    McG
    Clare  Famewo  Souare
    Leko          Dobson        Purrington
    Gilbey  Lee
    Davidson   Washington  
  • Options
    Agree with the preview team other than i'd be tempted to put Famewo in the middle and Deji on the left - Leko being back is a huge boost but guess he will be given the last half hour or so 
  • Options
    See Stockley is on Charlton TV - i do wonder how many viewers it gets when only people outside the country can see it - anybody know? 
  • Options
    Pearce definitely not going to be fit enough for the game, Pearcey is still a little bit sore in that knee. We were hopeful that he might be ready for Saturday but unfortunately it’s come a little bit too soon. I don’t know a timeframe for him but we’re hopeful that’s not too serious." 

Quote from here: https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61a0cbc2c1475/jackson-were-optimistic-about-the-future
  • Options
    re "Fill the Valley" -haven't bought season ticket since a few years post premiership- but really regretting it this season-