Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2021

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are diver Tom Daley, boxer Tyson Fury, swimmer Adam Peaty, tennis player Emma Raducanu, footballer Raheem Sterling and Paralympic cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.

Voting will be open during the show on BBC One on Sunday, 19 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/59607666

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Wow... Sorry but know we'll all equally want our own favourites in there

But surprised that both Mark Cavendish and Kevin Sinfield (He'll probably win another award) arent shortlisted.

As I predicted at the time, had Cavendish achieved what he did in a non-Olympic year it wouldnt be an issue
  • Options
    What on earth is Steling doing on that list? Peaty or Fury for me. 
  • Options
    Presumably Hamilton was chalked off after yesterday's robbery? Sterling still manages to make the list after losing out in a final however. Fairly certain Fury has claimed multiple times he has zero interest in being involved in this too. Based on what we are given, I'd give it:

1st Raducanu
    2nd Fury
    3rd free for all

Reality is I'm unsure how popular Fury is with wider public. Daley has the story/connection with the public and finally winning gold. Peaty cannot knock his achievements but he seems a bit of a tosser. Can't see past Raducanu
  • Options
    Wow... Sorry but know we'll all equally want our own favourites in there

But surprised that both Mark Cavendish and Kevin Sinfield (He'll probably win another award) arent shortlisted.

As I predicted at the time, had Cavendish achieved what he did in a non-Olympic year it wouldnt be an issue
    Couldn’t agree more 
  • Options
    They’re all good.
    Gabby Logan has just been on my television set giving a run down on each of the six.
    Funnily enough she said Emma Raducanu ‘has a smile that lights up a room’, but didn’t say that about Tyson Fury.
  • Options
     Fairly certain Fury has claimed multiple times he has zero interest in being involved in this too. 
    he  apparently threatened to sue the BBC if they put him on the list, not really sure what for though
  • Options
    Peaty is a machine and deserves more recognition. Can see raducanu winning it. Fury only had one fight against someone he'd fought twice before
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    And another thing...I know he's going to be part of something over the next few weeks which will make him seem crap to the unaware, but how is Joe Root not getting a look in for the shortlist. Individual records and carrying a team single handedly at times.

To answer my own question, I guess this reduced shortlist will throw up a number of these, exaggerated in Olympic year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    clive said:

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are diver Tom Daley, boxer Tyson Fury, swimmer Adam Peaty, tennis player Emma Raducanu, footballer Raheem Sterling and Paralympic cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.

Voting will be open during the show on BBC One on Sunday, 19 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/59607666

How is Hamilton not on there? I have mixed views about him personally, but he was publicly very gracious in the circumstances yesterday and still deserves to be on the list
  • Options
    Still waiting for George Digweed to get some sort of recognition for his sporting achievements. Blokes a machine
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Still waiting for George Digweed to get some sort of recognition for his sporting achievements. Blokes a machine
    where would he fit in on the bbc box ticking?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    where would he fit in on the bbc box ticking?
    On a gardening programme?
  • Options
    If anyone has achieved a bigger win than Emma Raducanu has this year, then they deserve to challenge her for the title.  If not, then it's a shoot-out for distant second place.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If anyone has achieved a bigger win than Emma Raducanu has this year, then they deserve to challenge her for the title.  If not, then it's a shoot-out for distant second place.  
    Charlton team in with a shout beating Fleetwood under Adkins then
  • Options
    Fury doesn't want to be on the list and Hamilton should be on it at least. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Chizz said:
    Charlton team in with a shout beating Fleetwood under Adkins then
    Not forgetting pushing MK Dons all the way in a narrow 2-1 defeat…..
  • Options
    Adam Peaty is unlucky that very few people care about swimming. Raducanu wins comfortably for me
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes but one win. Ranked outside the top 10 in her sport. Adam peaty is clearly the world number one and streets above anyone. Raducanu's win was amazing but shouldn't overide somebody's years of dedication. 
    Also to be honest I think she needs to be shown she has a lot to do to be number one. If she wins it will be as much to do with her smile and legs than anything sporting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd vote for Fury but as he doesn't want people to I think it would be a bit disrespectful to do so.
  • Options
    Whether Raducanu gets it this year or not, I reckon she will dominate it in years to come
  • Options
    Peaty probably ought to get it but Raducanu will. It won't be an injustice if she does.
  • Options
    Peaty should win but Raducanu will given the amount of publicity.
  • Options
    I agree. I'm not sure why he is so opposed to being on the list but it feels wrong voting for him seeing as he feels so strongly about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I agree. I'm not sure why he is so opposed to being on the list but it feels wrong voting for him seeing as he feels so strongly about it

So it seems the issue has gone on since his very public mental health breakdown following his fight with Klitschko. (When he was basically saying shit just to get a reaction)

Fury has had a long-running battle with the broadcaster which began in 2015 following his first world title victory over Wladimir Klitschko.

He caused controversy that year following a string of homophobic and sexist comments with a petition demanding his removal from the SPOTY shortlist attracting more than 140,000 signatures.

Ultimately Fury finished fourth behind Andy Murray, Kevin Sinfield and Jessica Ennis-Hill before apologising for his comments during the live show.

Fury was also included on the six-person shortlist last year before he threatened legal action if his name was not removed.

The BBC declined to do so and Fury finished sixth and last as Lewis Hamilton won the award.

And this year Fury told the Daily Telegraph: "It means nothing to me and I don't need it or want it.

"In fact, they will hear from my solicitors if they do put me on the list. Give it to someone who needs it. I don't."

"We know who the sports personality of the year is anyway - it's me. I am the sports personality. Who does what I do, goes through a war in Las Vegas, entertains the fans, and then sings to the audience?"

• Options
    Was gonna say that I think he's got history with the BBC
  • Options
    Adam Peaty is unlucky that very few people care about swimming. Raducanu wins comfortably for me
    Peaty was also on Strictly this year, which will have raised his profile significantly amongst those who don't follow swimming that closely

It feels that Sterling is on the list, as a footballer needs to be acknowledged for England reaching the Euros final, while Root is off the list because of the relative lack of success of the England cricket team
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It is a complete nonsense that the BBC now limit the options to six contenders - had Hamilton won yesterday then he would have to have been one of those six and presumably Sterling would have been left off. Then think had Sterling scored the winning goal in the Euros. Who would they have left off then?

I understand the need for the focus and the prevention of a campaign vote as a protest for the person that won the World Marbles Championship. But why not allow 10 options?