Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2021

Comments

• Options
    Raducanu is (deservedly IMHO) the biggest ever certainty since Massive Bobby McCertainty from Certaintyville.  It’s a rhetorical question but what on Earth is Sterling doing on there? Guess someone from England’s glorious near missers had to be involved and Saint Harry fluffed his lines 
  • Options
    It is a complete nonsense that the BBC now limit the options to six contenders - had Hamilton won yesterday then he would have to have been one of those six and presumably Sterling would have been left off. Then think had Sterling scored the winning goal in the Euros. Who would they have left off then?

I understand the need for the focus and the prevention of a campaign vote as a protest for the person that won the World Marbles Championship. But why not allow 10 options? 

why sterling? 
  • Options
    Does George Digweed have a smile that lights up a room?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I agree. I'm not sure why he is so opposed to being on the list but it feels wrong voting for him seeing as he feels so strongly about it

So it seems the issue has gone on since his very public mental health breakdown following his fight with Klitschko. (When he was basically saying shit just to get a reaction)

Fury has had a long-running battle with the broadcaster which began in 2015 following his first world title victory over Wladimir Klitschko.

He caused controversy that year following a string of homophobic and sexist comments with a petition demanding his removal from the SPOTY shortlist attracting more than 140,000 signatures.

Ultimately Fury finished fourth behind Andy Murray, Kevin Sinfield and Jessica Ennis-Hill before apologising for his comments during the live show.

Fury was also included on the six-person shortlist last year before he threatened legal action if his name was not removed.

The BBC declined to do so and Fury finished sixth and last as Lewis Hamilton won the award.

And this year Fury told the Daily Telegraph: "It means nothing to me and I don't need it or want it.

"In fact, they will hear from my solicitors if they do put me on the list. Give it to someone who needs it. I don't."

"We know who the sports personality of the year is anyway - it's me. I am the sports personality. Who does what I do, goes through a war in Las Vegas, entertains the fans, and then sings to the audience?"

In fairness, we can't give to Elton John every year, can we? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If anyone has achieved a bigger win than Emma Raducanu has this year, then they deserve to challenge her for the title.  If not, then it's a shoot-out for distant second place.  
    Can't argue with the scale of ER's attainment but SPOTY ain't about that is it?  And hasn't been since BBC shackled it to an on the night poll.  It's a simplistic popularity contest.
    Storey's lifetime achievements place her in the uppermost echelons of any sporting pantheon, Tom Daley's and Adam Peaty's careers have been exceptional, tall 3 have had remarkable years.
    But none of that will be worth a jot on the night.
    Cards on the table: for me Fury is about as objectionable a carcass as any you can name, his recent attainment in his field suggests he's genuinely useful at what he does.  Boxing remains hugely popular, winning (versions of) the heavyweight title carries loads of kudos, he'll get lots of votes.  I hope he doesn't get close to winning cos I really don't like him.

I hope you're right Chizz.

• Options
    I think Raducanu will win, and that will be quite splendid. What she is winning is more of a mystery.
    Anyway she is a local individual and mixed race so a lot to identify with.
    If it is about pure sport then certainly the Olympians would be ahead of her.
    Anyway she is a really good player with what looks like boundless promise.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It is a complete nonsense that the BBC now limit the options to six contenders - had Hamilton won yesterday then he would have to have been one of those six and presumably Sterling would have been left off. Then think had Sterling scored the winning goal in the Euros. Who would they have left off then?

I understand the need for the focus and the prevention of a campaign vote as a protest for the person that won the World Marbles Championship. But why not allow 10 options? 

why sterling? 
    Raducanu - first woman to win a Grand Slam in 44 years
    Storey - GB's most successful Paralympian of all time 
    Peaty - 100m breaststroke Gold and first British swimmer to retain an Olympic Gold
    Fury - retained World Heavyweight title
    Daley - Olympic Diving Champion
    Sterling - scored three goals in the Euros on way to England finishing runners up

I just don't see Sterling's achievements any way near as those of the other contenders and as sore as it is, we didn't actually win anything. It also takes a team to reach the Euros finals whereas the others have all had to contribute far more as individuals to their success
  • Options
    An unseeded player winning a grand slam is by far the biggest result on there

Stop talking about careers, it is an award for the year

Not sure Daley should be on there but his partner not - they should be (maybe they are) in team of the year.
    Sterling's inclusion is a joke

• Options
    Looked everywhere,  but still can't find Jason Pearce's name on the list . 😕 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I never never really sure what the vote is actually for.  Personality, single achievement, a successful year, a story?  I don't even think it's the same for one person to the next.

Sporting excellence: toss up between Peaty and Fury I suppose. 

A story: You can't look past Emma.

Personality: Fury or Emma

What's Sterling done that Stones, Walker, Foden et Al haven't.  What about Mason Mount and James?

My sporting personality would be Sinfeild then Rashford. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    An unseeded player winning a grand slam is by far the biggest result on there

Stop talking about careers, it is an award for the year

Not sure Daley should be on there but his partner not - they should be (maybe they are) in team of the year.
    Sterling's inclusion is a joke

Raducanu came through qualifying to win a grand slam, that's unique in modern day tennis. And without dropping a set in her FIRST adult Grand Slam away from home. Months after leaving school to become a full time tennis player, so it's wasn't as if she had been doing nothing but tennis for years either.

That's fairy tale stuff

Less happily she's tested positive, so won't be playing in Abu Dhabi or going to the SPOTY event either...
  • Options
    Laughable that Sterling is on there.

Why is Tom Daley on there? Ok he won a gold medal but lots of others did too and they're not nominated.
  • Options
    Don't understand how the top English batsman in a calendar year ever doesn't get on this list. Emma should win it, but Root ahead of Storey, Stirling, Daley or Fury 
  • Options
    rina said:
     Fairly certain Fury has claimed multiple times he has zero interest in being involved in this too. 
    he  apparently threatened to sue the BBC if they put him on the list, not really sure what for though
    Abuse of his image and naming rights?  They can report news stories of him but have no right to exploit him for their own ends, i.e. promote their programme. 
  • Options
    Peaty for me .. one of, if not THE most prolific and consistent medal winner for the UK .. I doubt he'll win though, Radacanu looks like  a shoo-in for the trophy and good luck to her also
  • Options
    If Emma wins I would love her to give her acceptance speech in Mandarin for the chites and giggles.
    Won't happen though, probably be in Romanian :)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If Emma wins I would love her to give her acceptance speech in Mandarin for the chites and giggles.
    Won't happen though, probably be in Romanian :)
    I think it would most likely be in English. 
  • Options
    Emma ... no question.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fury may not want to be on the list, but he gets my vote. He is a sportsman that won the biggest fight of his career so far and is a massive positive personality for men's mental health awareness. 
    Spot on
    Exactly how I see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe there should have been a longer not so short-list. Josh Taylor deserves a place as well as Hamilton
  • Options
    And Rachael Blackmore doesn't even get a mention !!
  • Options
    Rachael Blackmore and Joe Root would have been on my list as well. Emma's a certainty to win but no problem with me if Peaty or Fury wins.
  • Options
    sralan said:
    And Rachael Blackmore doesn't even get a mention !!
    philcafc said:
    Rachael Blackmore and Joe Root would have been on my list as well. Emma's a certainty to win but no problem with me if Peaty or Fury wins.
    Rachael Blackmore qualifies in the overseas category?
  • Options
    Maybe there should have been a longer not so short-list. Josh Taylor deserves a place as well as Hamilton
    Normally there are 10 people on the list, which is created by a panel of experts most of which have nothing to do with the BBC
  • Options
    Normally there are 10 people on the list, which is created by a panel of experts most of which have nothing to do with the BBC
    That would be better - not sure why only 6 this year, especially after the Olympics
  • Options

Why does Hamilton deserve a place? There's a few people who have achieved more in their chosen sports this year and probably won't have another chance to be nominated. And it ain't like he hasn't already received it, twice
  • Options
    Rachael Blackmore is from THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
  • Options
    Rachael Blackmore is from THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
    And? ;-)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Why does Hamilton deserve a place? There's a few people who have achieved more in their chosen sports this year and probably won't have another chance to be nominated. And it ain't like he hasn't already received it, twice
    It doesn't matter if anyone has received it before as it is for 2021 or if they will have another chance, however hard that is only 1 time Olympians or those is a sport with a shorter career. I am not his biggest fan but think he should be included. And the Scottish boxer Josh Taylor, who  became the first Brit to become a four-belt undisputed champion

But I guess, in the same way as we won;t all agree who to vote for, we won't all agree about the nominees. But I strongly feel a list of 6 is not enough, when there have been more nominees in previous years.

I hadn't though about Rachel Blackmore, but her being from the ROI shouldn't exclude her if she competes in the UK, as a footballer wouldn't be excluded if they played for ROI and Barry McGuigan has won it previously.