Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2021

13»

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Maybe there should have been a longer not so short-list. Josh Taylor deserves a place as well as Hamilton

Why does Hamilton deserve a place? There's a few people who have achieved more in their chosen sports this year and probably won't have another chance to be nominated. And it ain't like he hasn't already received it, twice
    It doesn't matter if anyone has received it before as it is for 2021 or if they will have another chance, however hard that is only 1 time Olympians or those is a sport with a shorter career. I am not his biggest fan but think he should be included. And the Scottish boxer Josh Taylor, who  became the first Brit to become a four-belt undisputed champion

But I guess, in the same way as we won;t all agree who to vote for, we won't all agree about the nominees. But I strongly feel a list of 6 is not enough, when there have been more nominees in previous years.

I hadn't though about Rachel Blackmore, but her being from the ROI shouldn't exclude her if she competes in the UK, as a footballer wouldn't be excluded if they played for ROI and Barry McGuigan has won it previously.
    Barry McGuigan represented Northern Ireland and is a UK citizen though 
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu will win it but I'd say Josh Taylor deserves it more. Undisputed champion and has fought everyone, most of them undefeated before fighting him 

Raheem Stirling was my personal hero of the summer and I like his attitude towards the shittier elements of the press not to mention his attitude towards carrying the ball and scoring important goals 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Maybe there should have been a longer not so short-list. Josh Taylor deserves a place as well as Hamilton

Why does Hamilton deserve a place? There's a few people who have achieved more in their chosen sports this year and probably won't have another chance to be nominated. And it ain't like he hasn't already received it, twice
    It doesn't matter if anyone has received it before as it is for 2021 or if they will have another chance, however hard that is only 1 time Olympians or those is a sport with a shorter career. I am not his biggest fan but think he should be included. And the Scottish boxer Josh Taylor, who  became the first Brit to become a four-belt undisputed champion

But I guess, in the same way as we won;t all agree who to vote for, we won't all agree about the nominees. But I strongly feel a list of 6 is not enough, when there have been more nominees in previous years.

I hadn't though about Rachel Blackmore, but her being from the ROI shouldn't exclude her if she competes in the UK, as a footballer wouldn't be excluded if they played for ROI and Barry McGuigan has won it previously.
    Barry McGuigan represented Northern Ireland and is a UK citizen though 
    Ah, I wasn't sure which. But an footballer why played for ROI wouldn't be excluded, or would they?

I think Barry McGuigan is from Clones, which I think is in the ROI - edited, as I think it might actually be in both!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Someone from the Republic is only eligible for the overseas award, even if they've made their name in the UK (e.g. Roy Keane)

Have any overseas born cricketers who play for England ever been nominated for the main award? The likes of Morgan, Pietersen, Allan Lamb etc
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Someone from the Republic is only eligible for the overseas award, even if they've made their name in the UK (e.g. Roy Keane)

Have any overseas born cricketers who play for England ever been nominated for the main award? The likes of Morgan, Pietersen, Allan Lamb etc
    Apparently, 'on three occasions a sportsman from outside the United Kingdom has made the podium, on each occasion for sporting success achieved in Great Britain; New Zealand speedway star Barry Briggs (1964 and 1966) and Italian jockey Frankie Dettori (1996). Barry McGuiganGreg Rusedski and Lennox Lewis originally competed for Ireland (McGuigan) and Canada (Rusedski and Lewis) respectively, but had completed their transfer of allegiance to Great Britain by the time of their awards'.
  • Options
    sralan said:
    And Rachael Blackmore doesn't even get a mention !!
    Blackmore has won the GN and some top races at Cheltenham .. she is fortunate in the 'big' races to ride for trainers and owners of really top class horses.. however her overall record in UK is about 16% win rate and Ireland is around 14% .. she is (UK winners) statistically  behind (e.g.) Cobden, Coleman and Skelton, Bryony Frost has a better UK record than Blackmore. 
    My choice for overseas SPOTY would be Sergio Aguero, I doubt we'll ever see the likes of him again .. another possibility is Mohamed Salah who's having a great season for Liverpool
  • Options
    Fury has done almost sod all this year, and Sterling is a loser
  • Options
    It’s Raducanu for me, Hollywood year for her and I don’t even rate tennis that much. Does make me laugh that some think cricketers should be allowed on the list though…
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    It’s Raducanu for me, Hollywood year for her and I don’t even rate tennis that much. Does make me laugh that some think cricketers should be allowed on the list though…
    Agreed re Raducanu but as a batsman (I don't see the need use a gender-neutral alternative) he has scored the most runs in a calendar year and it isn't even over yet. He could score even more, if other ENG players can manage to stay in long enough at the other end!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Agreed re Raducanu but as a batsman (I don't see the need use a gender-neutral alternative) he has scored the most runs in a calendar year and it isn't even over yet. He could score even more, if other ENG players can manage to stay in long enough at the other end!
    It’s a dying sport though, nobody without a beard watches it…it’s just not relevant 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    If Gabby is to be believed the winner has to have a smile that lights up a room.
    If that is the case then Elliot Lee should win as his smile could illuminate the whole of Chislehurst Caves.
  • Options
    No audience. Makes the whole thing a bit shit.
  • Options
    kakaka said:
    You can vote for the 2021 SPOTY winner tonight between 6.45-9pm 

But, as a tribute to F1 racing, they are going to stop the voting at 8.55pm, discard the votes cast up until that point and then restart the process for a frantic 30-40 seconds 

Seems legit……

:-)
    The script for the reset voting has been leaked.

“To vote on a mobile dial 6 22 82, or on landlines dial 09015 22 82.

And add:

01 for Max Verstappen 
    02 for Max Verstappen
    03 for Max Verstappen 
    04 for Max Verstappen 
    05 for Max Verstappen 
    06 for Max Verstappen

Get voting now for your favourite!
  • Options
    Enjoying Gabby Logan’s leg 
  • Options
    Love it - the BBC and Lineker not hiding back on showing their views on the farce from last weekend! Fair play.
  • Options
    Southgate sounded like he was choking up just then 
  • Options
    Tom Daley second, above Adam Peaty?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peaty is clearly an all time great, but Daley's win was more of a story, considering that he first competed in the Olympics in 2008 and finally got his gold 13 years later
  • Options
    Sterling being nominated still seems a bit weird, in a tournament when it was a team effort rather than one player dragging us through singlehanded
  • Options
    Sterling being nominated still seems a bit weird, in a tournament when it was a team effort rather than one player dragging us through singlehanded
    His season with City as well, plus the racist abuse he suffered. There’s always a footballer in there.
  • Options
    Winner never really in doubt
  • Options
    His season with City as well, plus the racist abuse he suffered. There’s always a footballer in there.
    His club form hasn't been that good in 2021 though. 
  • Options
    His club form hasn't been that good in 2021 though. 
    Oh I know but they still won the league and the league cup, plus CL runners up. I’m just saying it’s another reason for him being put forward. 

Euros he was the main man tho, ‘Boy from Brent’ stuff etc.
  • Options
    Peaty is clearly an all time great, but Daley's win was more of a story, considering that he first competed in the Olympics in 2008 and finally got his gold 13 years later
    When's the movie?

😉