Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Matt Smith is about the last forward you would want if you plan a pressing game. Can't run. Great to bring on when you are losing with twenty minutes to go, which is how Millwall use him. They will probably stick with him until the end of the season.
    He’d be a replacement for Stockley who also can’t run…
    To be fair, I quite like Matt Smith the third, but he makes Stockley look like Usain Bolt.
  • Options
    Just throwing it out there apologies if already mentioned but our old friend John Marquis has apparently been frozen out at Portsmouth and they're actively looking to move him on.

A possible short term option and might be happy to settle for a place on the bench when Stockley is back?
    We need short term options like a hole in the head. If we are going to bring in a striker they need to be signed on a 2.5-3 year contract. No more rebuilding every summer  PLEASE  !!

And we don't need short term as this season is over (league wise). Build for the future, not for the next 4 months. 
    Yes because we're only 6 points clear of relegation at present and can't score goals.

We could do a lot worse than someone who knows where the back of the net is in this league.

I'd love to see us splash the cash and sign a proven young goal scorer at this level too, any suggestions?
    No suggestions here as its not my job to find one.

Ask Steve Gallen if he can predict where the FTSE will be on June 30th & if he can get closer than 0.1%  then I'll find you that striker. 
    You have a 50% success rate then. But moan when the footballing recruitment team have the same...
    I feel obliged to point out that there have been four rounds of guess the FTSE on the Savings and Investment thread. Given his performance there so far, if I were Golfie, I wouldnt go down that road 🤣🤣😉
     I'm happy to put my record up from the S&I thread against that of Gallen's from the transfer one.

I might not have been in the top 2 or 3 in all  4 "rounds" but I havent had a Kirk, Arter or Schwartz. Given my showing in the Dec 31st prediction Gallen needs to be signing the next Killer, Super Clive or Kermorgant  😄.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Just throwing it out there apologies if already mentioned but our old friend John Marquis has apparently been frozen out at Portsmouth and they're actively looking to move him on.

A possible short term option and might be happy to settle for a place on the bench when Stockley is back?
    We need short term options like a hole in the head. If we are going to bring in a striker they need to be signed on a 2.5-3 year contract. No more rebuilding every summer  PLEASE  !!

And we don't need short term as this season is over (league wise). Build for the future, not for the next 4 months. 
    The future starts tomorrow, right?  If we wait until the summer, we just replicate much of the same team rebuilding situation we've faced every close season for the past 10 years.

Not sure if you are replying to me or not, if you are then you are preaching to the converted.

I am advocating bringing in at least one striker NOW, but on a permanent not a loan. Someone who can score 20 goals + & get us out of this League next season.

As I've said many many times....our current crop of strikers/forwards/front men aren't up to the job. Stockley & Washington are ok but neither will get 20 goals - combined might get you 30 a season. 

And even if they did get 35-40 between them you need your midfield chipping in......and ours just don't. Currently Purrington looks the best bet at being higher than any of our midfield in the goal scoring charts. 

Aaargh....
    I agree with most of what you’ve said.  I do think Stockley is capable of 20 however.  He has 7 in 20 League One games at the moment and I think he, like a lot of other players were hamstrung under Adkins, and he’s now injured.  Him getting sent off at Burton was his own fault, so I have no sympathy, but on the whole, I think we may have someone who can 20.

Washington I like, but he’s definitely not a 20 goal forward, and you’re right that the midfield need to step up - 3 in 36 combined for Lee & Gilbey.

The only thing I worry about and I don’t think is achievable, is bringing in long term quality in Jan.  I think it’s hard enough for the big teams, let alone us.  I know you said you don’t want another rebuild over the summer, however, I think it’s better to do it then, as long as plans are being made and executed early on.  

This season’s dead.  As a few have mentioned, we don’t want to get sucked into a relegation scrap, so perhaps a forward on loan is a good option, but I don’t fancy our chances of landing quality for the long term in Jan 
  • Options
    Sounds like things are really hotting up. 

Is it just me or is every Charlton transfer window about 20% more disappointing than the previous one?

Nothing will be worse than the infamous deadline day when Southall was here when we spent more on snacks from the corner shop than we did on players.
    That was our entire transfer budget from ESI1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Well 11 days in and not a single rumour, not even the crap accounts want to make stuff up about us !! Something is not right at the club maybe it is right Thomas just hasn't got the money to take us forward !!!
    What he should do is leak daily fake rumours so us fans have something to talk about and make it look like the club is busily working away on signings.
    I thought they did that as a matter of course anyway!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    cabbles said:
    Oggy Red said:

The future starts tomorrow, right?  If we wait until the summer, we just replicate much of the same team rebuilding situation we've faced every close season for the past 10 years.

Not sure if you are replying to me or not, if you are then you are preaching to the converted.

I am advocating bringing in at least one striker NOW, but on a permanent not a loan. Someone who can score 20 goals + & get us out of this League next season.

As I've said many many times....our current crop of strikers/forwards/front men aren't up to the job. Stockley & Washington are ok but neither will get 20 goals - combined might get you 30 a season. 

And even if they did get 35-40 between them you need your midfield chipping in......and ours just don't. Currently Purrington looks the best bet at being higher than any of our midfield in the goal scoring charts. 

Aaargh....
    I agree with most of what you’ve said.  I do think Stockley is capable of 20 however.  He has 7 in 20 League One games at the moment and I think he, like a lot of other players were hamstrung under Adkins, and he’s now injured.  Him getting sent off at Burton was his own fault, so I have no sympathy, but on the whole, I think we may have someone who can 20.

Washington I like, but he’s definitely not a 20 goal forward, and you’re right that the midfield need to step up - 3 in 36 combined for Lee & Gilbey.

The only thing I worry about and I don’t think is achievable, is bringing in long term quality in Jan.  I think it’s hard enough for the big teams, let alone us.  I know you said you don’t want another rebuild over the summer, however, I think it’s better to do it then, as long as plans are being made and executed early on.  

This season’s dead.  As a few have mentioned, we don’t want to get sucked into a relegation scrap, so perhaps a forward on loan is a good option, but I don’t fancy our chances of landing quality for the long term in Jan 
    Ordinarily I would agree with you, but COVID has put clubs under enormous financial strain, and the lower down the league you go the worse it is as income from fans attending is a higher % of income.
    For instance, Gillingham were allegedly asking for £1m a pop for their players in the summer as they knew that there were clubs about with new cash available. Ipswich, Sunderland and us in league 1 for example. Unfortunately for them there were no takers. 
    Being in the relegation places, no manager, and being chased by Revenue and Customs will not help. Neither will players getting closer to the end of their contracts. 
    There will be quite a few clubs that will need to cash in on a player or two to make it through to summer.
    Going for one or two targets now so that they are part of the squad and have a pre-season with us could make financial sense as well.
    This is true but if we're after a player then i'd also expect other clubs in our league to be interested as well, Sheff Weds, Oxford, Portsmouth etc. And if we're competing against a side higher up the table for a signing then that player is likely to choose the team with play off hopes.

Our season being pretty much over in January may well have hindered our chances of getting anyone decent on a permanent until the summer.
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind a prem loan at this stage if there is an agreement that if they do well, then we have first choice on whether to loan them next season, or at least until Christmas.
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind a prem loan at this stage if there is an agreement that if they do well, then we have first choice on whether to loan them next season, or at least until Christmas.
    Agreed. You don't want to do a Millar, develop them and then lose a target for next season. But think someone mentioned Dasilva which worked out well albeit he had zero impact in his first loan. 
  • Options
    i really don’t understand why there is this obsession with waiting until the window is about to ‘slam’ shut before doing any business. I get that some clubs might be reluctant to sell and are practicing brinkmanship but money talks and the number of games any new players are missing during the window could be critical. 
    How many proper transfers there been in all leagues so far … there your answer 
  • Options
    Interesting that the young Villa lad Ramsey is off on loan to Cheltenham.
    Played well last night I thought.
    Confirms what Jackson said about things opening up after the cup games?
    Aaron Ramsey is off to Cheltenham, his brother Jacob Ramsay played last night.

Aaron is very highly rated as well though.
  • Options
    Defo his brother, Jacob a part of the first team squad 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i really don’t understand why there is this obsession with waiting until the window is about to ‘slam’ shut before doing any business. I get that some clubs might be reluctant to sell and are practicing brinkmanship but money talks and the number of games any new players are missing during the window could be critical. 
    Several. On the other thread I noted that both MK Dons and Wimbledon have both signed loan strikers
  • Options

Ready to play against us on Saturday

Unless Cheltenham have signed the Juventus Aaron Ramsey  :D
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    that is a real surprise and Cheltenham have had a right result with that coup .. I guess Gerrard wants to keep both Ramseys match fit and of course Coutinho is coming into Ramsey senior's spot .. I hope that if we go for a loanee or two, we can get similar quality to Ramsey.
     (T b h,  I abhor the loan system, BUT recognise it's a necessary 'evil')
  • Options
    No idea but at least 4 players scored on their debuts over the weekend.....so there's your answer. 
  • Options
    Agreed but why can’t we be ahead of the game for a change?
    In the summer I had no issue unlike many with us waiting to do business late on, because we had 42 games after the window shut to make something of 21/22.

However now I’m leaning towards urgency, we all know the gap is massive, and points dropped this month could kill the season off for certain.  We’ve got 5 games left this month, we all can see how toothless we are without Stockley.  I doubt many would disagree with me that in that 5 game window we could see play offs and pizza trophy dreams dashed.
  • Options
    Agreed but why can’t we be ahead of the game for a change?
    In the summer I had no issue unlike many with us waiting to do business late on, because we had 42 games after the window shut to make something of 21/22.

However now I’m leaning towards urgency, we all know the gap is massive, and points dropped this month could kill the season off for certain.  We’ve got 5 games left this month, we all can see how toothless we are without Stockley.  I doubt many would disagree with me that in that 5 game window we could see play offs and pizza trophy dreams dashed.
    Play offs gone, my fear is, we bring no one in or get some cast off who is struggling toward the end of his career.
    Relegation is a more likely scenario than play offs given we are only 6pts above 4th bottom and a number of teams below have games in hand.
  • Options
    Still think we have a better chance of being in the play off race than a relegation battle but fear neither is most likely 
  • Options

D’oh!
    Thanks for putting me straight 😁😂😂