Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    talalsrightfoot said:
    arny23394 said:
    Paying Chuks off and getting somebody else in on lower wages does not save any money though?
    It does if you actually read it
    Would be useful if people actually used maths
    How you saving money if you're paying Chuks contract up?

I get the frustration with Aneke, obviously it's annoying paying someone who you know is barely going to be available, and when he is it's with a short cameo. Naturally the best thing for the club is for him to retire or go somewhere else so his wage can be used on a 4th striker who even if he isn't great, gives us another, more reliable option. 

But if you're going to pay him what you would pay him over the next 2 years anyway, it makes more sense to keep him and just use him occasionally as it costs nothing more but gives you the extra option. 
    I mean its up to the club if they feel they can get something from him great but it doesnt change the fact he is one of our highest earners you could pay him up by reducing wage budget and still sign another player. When the money ahs been saved you increase wage budget again.
    Yeah but if the owners have enough money that they can afford to pay Aneke 500k and then sign someone else for (using your example) 10k per month, why not just keep Aneke and sign someone for 10k a month? It's not costing you anymore, you're not saving by tearing Aneke's contract and you still get to use him an option, even if this is 5th choice. 
    Because football teams are run on budgets and we ahve to deal with FFP.

In an ideal world we are owned by a mega newcastle like fund but we arent.
    Yes but you're not saving any money by paying someone's contract up! You're just paying it all up front rather than over the next 2 years. I'm not sure how you're not getting that?
    Answer my points above ive already proved how.

Christ alive.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    So here it is for the last time, also making clear i dont wish to take money out of chuks hand.

Firstly we pay chuks the rest of his contract - so we lay out 500k agreed however we now dont have a player who CAN NOT play and reduces the associated costs of having an employee on the club which could be tens of thousands or even over 100k over a 18 month period but thats debateable what isnt is that keeping a player employed costs the clubs more than just their salary.

This reduces our wage bill circa 20k a month (according to other posters). We use this to sign a replacement on 10k. Thats a 10k reduction on wage budget. Over a year thats a 120k saving, plus we get a player who can actually play.

500k - 120k = 380k (lets ignore all the other savings of not having him employed and dealing with injury)

After just one year you have recouped almost a quarter of the layout and replaced an asset who offers no benefit and replaced with a cheaper one who could.

Chuks would still receive every penny he is entitled too so no way am i happy to take food out his mouth as one illogical poster commented.

The key here is if the club are willing to shell out 500k in one go ? I understand why they wouldnt but its a risk how much football is he going to actually play and is he gonna cost more to keep employed.

Now please if you do choose to reply at least have the ability to read all of it and not just pick the points to suit your own agenda.

What this boils down to is if the club see value in chuks ability on the pitch.
    What utter nonsense.
    IF Chucks is on £5K pw and has roughly 2 years left, roughly he will receive £5K x 100 weeks = £500K.
    We can agree on that rough assumption.
    It doesn't matter whether we pay him £500K now or spread over 2 years, we will still pay him £500K.

If we then sign a player now and pay him £2500 pw over let's say 100 weeks, the additional cost is £250K
    Your proposal costs us an extra £250K (less any medical costs spent on Chucks).
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    So here it is for the last time, also making clear i dont wish to take money out of chuks hand.

Firstly we pay chuks the rest of his contract - so we lay out 500k agreed however we now dont have a player who CAN NOT play and reduces the associated costs of having an employee on the club which could be tens of thousands or even over 100k over a 18 month period but thats debateable what isnt is that keeping a player employed costs the clubs more than just their salary.

This reduces our wage bill circa 20k a month (according to other posters). We use this to sign a replacement on 10k. Thats a 10k reduction on wage budget. Over a year thats a 120k saving, plus we get a player who can actually play.

500k - 120k = 380k (lets ignore all the other savings of not having him employed and dealing with injury)

After just one year you have recouped almost a quarter of the layout and replaced an asset who offers no benefit and replaced with a cheaper one who could.

Chuks would still receive every penny he is entitled too so no way am i happy to take food out his mouth as one illogical poster commented.

The key here is if the club are willing to shell out 500k in one go ? I understand why they wouldnt but its a risk how much football is he going to actually play and is he gonna cost more to keep employed.

Now please if you do choose to reply at least have the ability to read all of it and not just pick the points to suit your own agenda.

This plan would cost us £120k rather than save us £380k. You would bring forward Chuk’s £500k (although that’s probably already accounted for over the next 24 months) and ontop of that pay someone else £120k that isn’t already accounted for. So total expenditure goes from £500k to £620k. 

Additionally, I’m not sure what sort of striker we could get for £2.5k per week, nobody particularly good I would imagine.

Realistically Chuks isn’t going to retire and we probably aren’t going to pay him off. We just need to manage him as well as possible and get some minutes whenever we can - we know he’s a good option in this league when fit. 
    No you have misread or misunderstood its saves us 120k after one season and has 380k left to recoup.

So your by paying chuks his contract in full your saving 20k a month roughly on wage bill. If half of that (10k) is spent on a new signing your still saving 10k a month on wage bill each month, month or month that equals 120k savings plus all the costs of keeping chuks employed.

If chuks payment was 500k and your take away the 120k saved on budget youve recouped 120k and got 380k left to recoup.

Today the club has a liability of £500k, which is (apparently) the remainder of Chuks contract.

You are suggesting the club pays Chuks this £500k to terminate his contract. In addition you suggest that the club should pay £120k for a replacement. 

To summarise:

Today - liabilities of £500k

Under your plan - liabilities of £500k + £120k = £620k. 
    No you dont understand.

Ok so we have a monthly wage budget ok ?

Lets say its 150k a month. The club could choose to pay 500k from its accounts and then reduce the wage budget by 20k (chuks wages) until the 500k they spent is covered.

Or they could reduce it by 10k and pay a new player 10k a month hwnce the new wage budget without chuks and adding a new palyer would be - 140k over a year the saving would be 120k. Which is nearly a quarter of the 500k the club spent.
    With respect, it's really you that doesn't understand, what you're proposing as a "saving" is utterly bizarre. 
    Its clearly over your head. Insane.

Its a saving on the wage bidget to subsidise the outlay.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

This plan would cost us £120k rather than save us £380k. You would bring forward Chuk’s £500k (although that’s probably already accounted for over the next 24 months) and ontop of that pay someone else £120k that isn’t already accounted for. So total expenditure goes from £500k to £620k. 

Additionally, I’m not sure what sort of striker we could get for £2.5k per week, nobody particularly good I would imagine.

Realistically Chuks isn’t going to retire and we probably aren’t going to pay him off. We just need to manage him as well as possible and get some minutes whenever we can - we know he’s a good option in this league when fit. 
    No you have misread or misunderstood its saves us 120k after one season and has 380k left to recoup.

So your by paying chuks his contract in full your saving 20k a month roughly on wage bill. If half of that (10k) is spent on a new signing your still saving 10k a month on wage bill each month, month or month that equals 120k savings plus all the costs of keeping chuks employed.

If chuks payment was 500k and your take away the 120k saved on budget youve recouped 120k and got 380k left to recoup.

Today the club has a liability of £500k, which is (apparently) the remainder of Chuks contract.

You are suggesting the club pays Chuks this £500k to terminate his contract. In addition you suggest that the club should pay £120k for a replacement. 

To summarise:

No you dont understand.

Lets say its 150k a month. The club could choose to pay 500k from its accounts and then reduce the wage budget by 20k (chuks wages) until the 500k they spent is covered.

Or they could reduce it by 10k and pay a new player 10k a month hwnce the new wage budget without chuks and adding a new palyer would be - 140k over a year the saving would be 120k. Which is nearly a quarter of the 500k the club spent.
    Cool.
  • Options
    Many of these comments ignore the fact that all English professional football clubs insure their players. (And most football players also insure themselves.) So in the event that it was deemed that Chuks' career was over, neither the club nor he would lose out. At least in terms of his current contract.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

To summarise:

No you dont understand.

With respect, it's really you that doesn't understand, what you're proposing as a "saving" is utterly bizarre. 

yes I get that, it reduces the wage budget. But it doesn't save the club any money. So to put it bluntly, what's the fucking point?
  • Options
    The outlay has to be depreciated over time, so in effect reduces your wage budget. That analysis above is correct. The only way to maintain the budget is to pay Chuks to do another job, ie forwards coaching on his pay and free up the playing squad budget, but a) I do not believe coaches are on anywhere near that and b) the first time Chuks goes to demonstrate the shot type he means, he would likely do his hammy and have to sit the coaching out… Last point in total jest, of course want him back and fit asap. 
    Reduces the wage budget yes, but the wage bill cap was scrapped so we don't have to worry about. It will still count towards club expenditure, not that we have to worry about any of that. All we need to worry about is how much the owners have to spend. Releasing Aneke doesn't ease that does it?
  • Options
    The outlay has to be depreciated over time, so in effect reduces your wage budget. That analysis above is correct. The only way to maintain the budget is to pay Chuks to do another job, ie forwards coaching on his pay and free up the playing squad budget, but a) I do not believe coaches are on anywhere near that and b) the first time Chuks goes to demonstrate the shot type he means, he would likely do his hammy and have to sit the coaching out… Last point in total jest, of course want him back and fit asap. 
    Reduces the wage budget yes, but the wage bill cap was scrapped so we don't have to worry about. It will still count towards club expenditure, not that we have to worry about any of that. All we need to worry about is how much the owners have to spend. Releasing Aneke doesn't ease that does it?
    We still have a wage budget ? 

You do know that ? Right ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

To summarise:

No you dont understand.

yes I get that, it reduces the wage budget. But it doesn't save the club any money. So to put it bluntly, what's the fucking point?
    Jesus so dense light must bend around you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    Many of these comments ignore the fact that all English professional football clubs insure their players. (And most football players also insure themselves.) So in the event that it was deemed that Chuks' career was over, neither the club nor he would lose out. At least in terms of his current contract.
    Nobody is ignoring that but I doubt that would be useful if we pay his contract up, would only come into play if he is forced to retire. 
  • Options
    This looks like one of those brain teasing conundrums, like how long would it take for a snail to escape from a barrell of lard  if for every two inches it progressed up the side, it slides back one 🤔 
  • Options

Yes? I get it, you are proposing to reduce the wage budget by releasing Chuks and replacing him with a cheaper option. 

However, it's not saving the club any money. I presume you accept that? So how is it advantageous to the clubs financial position to do so? Please keep it in my mind I am incredibly dense so if you could make your answer as clear as possible that would be appreciated. 
  • Options

What utter nonsense.
    IF Chucks is on £5K pw and has roughly 2 years left, roughly he will receive £5K x 100 weeks = £500K.
    It doesn't matter whether we pay him £500K now or spread over 2 years, we will still pay him £500K.

If we then sign a player now and pay him £2500 pw over let's say 100 weeks, the additional cost is £250K
    Yeah but it reduces the wage bill don't forget...
  • Options

Do we have a separate paying up contracts early budget? Where is that money coming from?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

To summarise:

No you dont understand.

Jesus so dense light must bend around you

Correct
  • Options

What utter nonsense.

It literally doesnt if you actually understand.

Also dont ignore the point regarding different budgets.
  • Options
    We have no issues with FFP and are not even close to having to worry, so Talal is effectively just costing us money for no reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What utter nonsense.

Who gives a toss about different budgets, the money still has to come from somewhere. 

Your proposal would work if the salary cap was still in play because although it would cost the club money over the 2 years, it would reduce the wage bill and give us a little room. That cap has been abolished though. 
  • Options
    The sooner the season starts the better, then we will have something else to read other than these pointless arguments 
  • Options

What utter nonsense.

OK - you got me.

I literally don't understand, well apart from there could be different budgets. 

In my world, budgets are subsets of one pot. Irrespective of the budget line, the company still pays out of the one pot.
  • Options
    Me wandering into this thread and realising it’s actually an advanced maths lesson:

• Options
    My understanding is that professional footballers, or their clubs, take out an insurance policy that covers both the players and the clubs in the event of long term illness or injury.

Chucks barely played last season. 
    Indeed he has hardly been fit throughout his entire Charlton career.
    His latest injury was sustained in February 2023 and he hasn’t been fit since the then.

If the club has taken out an insurance policy, then surely now is the time to consider implementing it.

• Options
    My understanding is that professional footballers, or their clubs, take out an insurance policy that covers both the players and the clubs in the event of long term illness or injury.

Chucks barely played last season. 
    Indeed he has hardly been fit throughout his entire Charlton career.
    His latest injury was sustained in February 2023 and he hasn’t been fit since the then.

If the club has taken out an insurance policy, then surely now is the time to consider implementing it.

I very much doubt it covers 'wear and tear' issues.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ross1 said:
    The sooner the season starts the better, then we will have something else to read other than these pointless arguments 

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Me wandering into this thread and realising it’s actually an advanced maths lesson:

It’s not that bloody advanced to be fair! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!