Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chuks injury Record at Charlton

Chuks Injury record before Charlton:

That list is not even including this latest spell out which started on February 25th and appears to be still ongoing
    2 different injuries. This week's is a fresh calf injury.
    So what you mean to say is there's actually another 2 injuries still missing from an already extensive list
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    stonemuse said:
    Chuks Aneke has picked up a fresh calf problem in the close-season, Dean Holden tells @BBCLondonSport #cafc

Ridiculous, given the amount of time he’s had to recover 

Time to retire 
    Yeah, after another difficult setback he should just give up and retire aged 30. Do you think he's got loads of other career prospects lined up?
    Do you think he has loads of other clubs waiting to offer him a contract ?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chuks injury Record at Charlton

Chuks Injury record before Charlton:

That list is not even including this latest spell out which started on February 25th and appears to be still ongoing
    2 different injuries. This week's is a fresh calf injury.
    So what you mean to say is there's actually another 2 injuries still missing from an already extensive list
    Yep

• Options
    Why the hell did we resign him? I wonder who's decision it was? JJs? 
    Even though we knew he was fragile, his injuries have reached a whole new level since returning.

In 20-21 he appeared in 41 games. We knew he couldn't really start many but he was still available.
    In the first half of 21-22 he appeared in 21 games for Birmingham. Not sure how many he started but he was clearly fit to play some part.

Since his return........28 appearances in 18 months.

Aneke started one game in the Championship for Birmingham and came on as sub 17 times for a total of 378 minutes or an average of 21 minutes per appearance. In the League Cup he started two games and played 136 minutes or 68 minutes per game (these were both in his first five appearances) and made one appearance in the FA Cup in his very last game for the club for two minutes. So overall, 3 starts and 18 subs for a total of 516 minutes at an average of just under 25 minutes a game. 

In three and a half years with us, in the League, he has started 18 matches and come on as sub 62 times scoring 21 goals in total. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Even though we knew he was fragile, his injuries have reached a whole new level since returning.

In 20-21 he appeared in 41 games. We knew he couldn't really start many but he was still available.
    In the first half of 21-22 he appeared in 21 games for Birmingham. Not sure how many he started but he was clearly fit to play some part.

I know everyone criticises the decision to bring him back (in hindsight it was obviously a bad one!) but to defend the club he played 41 games for us and scored goals, then was available every game for Birmingham for 6 months. So at the time it looked like he’d just be able to continue to be available in his super sub role which we know is worth having so I can see why we wanted him back as he’d been pretty much injury free for 18 months. 

Really unfortunate how it’s worked out but I can’t see any solution other than we keep trying to get him fit for the next 2 years and use him when we can 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I know everyone criticises the decision to bring him back (in hindsight it was obviously a bad one!) but to defend the club he played 41 games for us and scored goals, then was available every game for Birmingham for 6 months. So at the time it looked like he’d just be able to continue to be available in his super sub role which we know is worth having so I can see why we wanted him back as he’d been pretty much injury free for 18 months. 

Really unfortunate how it’s worked out but I can’t see any solution other than we keep trying to get him fit for the next 2 years and use him when we can 
    I used to say the same about an old washing machine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should just cut our loses with Chucks. On his day a top player is this league, and if could stay injury free he would certainly be in the championship minimum.
    No doubt he is one of the top earners at the club, but given his injury record, I would call time and part our ways.
  • Options
    We should just cut our loses with Chucks. On his day a top player is this league, and if could stay injury free he would certainly be in the championship minimum.
    No doubt he is one of the top earners at the club, but given his injury record, I would call time and part our ways.
    And pay him anyway?
  • Options
    If this is the definition of 'cheat code', maybe its time to learn to play properly ? 
  • Options
    The club do owe Chuks a duty of care and all the time he wants to keep going then as he’s under contract I think the club should 100% support him but it’s a two way street. I do think the conversation needs to be had with Chuks as unpalatable as that is. He can’t be too many months away from calling it a day. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    If we are going to pay him anyway, knowing how important our community work is, perhaps we should just give him the whole year off - keep him working in some kind of ambassador role and take some pressure off of him on the playing side, at least for the year. Put him on some kind of coaching course? Maybe he could learn a few bits at the same time personally and would also keep him busy. Just think outside the box a little bit instead of these cycles of injury/over trains to catch up/gets injured again. At least both parties could potentially get something out of that?
    Sounds great. I think I'll have some of that at my work.
    it's already been said many times before that comparing footballers/their contracts to "normal" jobs is a waste of time. If you were off "sick" for 75% of your working year you would be in the office having disciplinary procedures. As much as you may not like it, DH can't bring the Bradford index in to get rid.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    If this is the definition of 'cheat code', maybe it’s time to learn to play properly ? 
    For me, it’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard in years.  Ultra cringe and completely wrong.  The talent was there, but the body, unfortunately isn’t.  I’m not adverse to keeping him on given the fact it could cost the club a lot to release him that will likely impact budget for others.  I’m completely adverse to all the hype and the super sub stuff.  Time moves on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    All this talk of he should retire, he hasnt been seen etc. Anyone considered that he could be back in training and that he is undergoing a special training programme in a gym, working on strengthening his body in a way that he will be ready for the season, rather than doing sprints in hot temperatures which would increase the risk of injury?
    If that's the case why the radio silence? If that is what we are doing with him then that doesn't need to be a secret does it?

What can possibly be said about Chuks Aneke now that hasn't already been said ?
    I feel sorry for all the medical staff and the thousands of hours that have gone into trying to help Aneke. 

Before Chuks left for Birmingham there were issues but at least he was available for selection in 36 out of 46 matches even though Aneke wanted to be sub and come off the bench. 
    When Jayden Stockley got injured for those 6 weeks or so the season before last, so many staff members and management tried to convince Chuks he would be fine to start the games; Including Stockley. 

Since coming back and JJ played him for the whole match plus added time on his second debut he has become a non player and It would be easier to say what's not wrong with him. His body and mind can not take a contact sport like football.

I'm not mocking him but that is the situation but there probably isn't one injury which you could claim the insurance money on.

It's catch 22 and no winners but how the hell did Chuks get more than an 18 month contract 🤦🏻‍♂️ total blind faith.
  • Options
    To be honest this season is crunch time for Chuks. If he doesn’t break back into reckoning this time it’s very hard to see a way back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    If we are going to pay him anyway, knowing how important our community work is, perhaps we should just give him the whole year off - keep him working in some kind of ambassador role and take some pressure off of him on the playing side, at least for the year. Put him on some kind of coaching course? Maybe he could learn a few bits at the same time personally and would also keep him busy. Just think outside the box a little bit instead of these cycles of injury/over trains to catch up/gets injured again. At least both parties could potentially get something out of that?
    it's already been said many times before that comparing footballers/their contracts to "normal" jobs is a waste of time. If you were off "sick" for 75% of your working year you would be in the office having disciplinary procedures. As much as you may not like it, DH can't bring the Bradford index in to get rid.
    Who said I have a "normal job"?
  • Options
    The fact is, nobody is going to take him off our hands so we might as well try to sort out his issues even if it is unlikely we will. There are no other options.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    Why not ? Gets the money off our wage budget if we are willing to take the hit, saves a place in squad. Worst case scenario offer him 50% or 75% to cancel his contract and he may be willing to gamble he can go elsewhere and make more money than he would of had he stayed here.
  • Options
    The fact is, nobody is going to take him off our hands so we might as well try to sort out his issues even if it is unlikely we will. There are no other options.
    Agree. There’s no way he will accept a pay off that is less than the full amount he is owed, so we might as well pay it to him over 2 years and get him on the bench when we can
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    Who said I have a "normal job"?
    lol ok sorry George Clooney.

the rest of us mere mortals understand my point
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    Why not ? Gets the money off our wage budget if we are willing to take the hit, saves a place in squad. Worst case scenario offer him 50% or 75% to cancel his contract and he may be willing to gamble he can go elsewhere and make more money than he would of had he stayed here.
    There's not a hope in hell he's getting a better deal at any other club and given that i can honestly see him being not far off retiring, i highly doubt he's going to accept a pay off for less than we owe him. Unless something drastically changes in the next 2 years, this is probably his last decent contract.

So given that we have a duty of care to him and we have to keep paying him anyway, all we can really do is plan ahead without him and if he returns at any point then it's a bonus.
    You have misunderstood. Im not saying he will get more than we pay him. What im saying is he could he stay here for rest of contract and get 100% what we owe him, ok ? Or we offer say 70% of his contract to offload and IF a team offer him say 40% of what he earns here on a 1 year contract he would have earned 10% more by cancelling his contract and signing a less paid contract elsewhere and we save 30%. Everyone is happy. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And pay him anyway?
    There's not a hope in hell he's getting a better deal at any other club and given that i can honestly see him being not far off retiring, i highly doubt he's going to accept a pay off for less than we owe him. Unless something drastically changes in the next 2 years, this is probably his last decent contract.

So given that we have a duty of care to him and we have to keep paying him anyway, all we can really do is plan ahead without him and if he returns at any point then it's a bonus.
    You have misunderstood. Im not saying he will get more than we pay him. What im saying is he could he stay here for rest of contract and get 100% what we owe him, ok ? Or we offer say 70% of his contract to offload and IF a team offer him say 40% of what he earns here on a 1 year contract he would have earned 10% more by cancelling his contract and signing a less paid contract elsewhere and we save 30%. Everyone is happy. 
    He has 2 years left on his contract 

But still....your point is clearer 
  • Options
    I really do feel sorry for Chuks, and for Charlton, because if he was able to stay fit there would be a big chance that we could get out this league.

However the point is he has not, and the problem is seemingly getting increasingly worse. 

The club has a duty of care to look after him and support him with his progression into the next stages of his career. However, unless we’ve absolutely messed up the transfer window again, I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the first team.

Getting minutes into him before he inevitably breaks down again is just a barrier for another player to either gain experience or maintain form for the future.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!