Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please help me identify a song that stuck in my head for 50 years. solved: 'Girlie' by the Peddlers

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Don't think it's anything by 'Yes', Supertramp maybe?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    https://youtu.be/YP-Cu8mvacI

Slightly different tempo, but lyrics are very similar?
  • Options
    Definitely seems to be a non-English twang in the vocals but there are hundreds of bands in that genre. Good luck.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Unfortunately no... someone will post the right one, I'm quite confident, then you'll see what I meant about the significant of the organ part. but I realize this is not eazy...
    Thanks
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Unfortunately no... someone will post the right one, I'm quite confident, then you'll see what I meant about the significant of the organ part. but I realize this is not eazy...
    Thanks
    I love this sort of challenge mate, I'll have a good research this evening 👍 
  • Options
    Try the people who put Heart 70s radio out. They seem to have a wide range of stuff they are playing. Somebody there must be having the time of their lives researching songs to put in their playlists so might have come across the song you are searching for or something similar. To me your effort sounds somewhere between pinball wizard and that Richard Harris song
  • Options
    Stick it on Reddit or Twitter, I'm sure there will be someone out there that recognises it
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Stick it on Reddit or Twitter, I'm sure there will be someone out there that recognises it

Yep, pretty sure reddit would solve this in five minutes.
  • Options
    Jethro Tull ?
  • Options
    Vanilla Fudge used organ late 60's early 70's band.   American though.

In their version of 'You Keep Me Hanging On' their is a rift that is similar to a rift in your link but obviously not same song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Una Gadda me Vida by Iron Butterfly ?
    (or whatever it’s called). 
  • Options
    Sounds a bit like the Nice, but as others have said, van der graph generator or curved air also possible.
    There was also a band called Egg who were organ led (Dave Stewart on organ). Also another ‘Canterbury scene’ band Caravan possibly? 
    The first 25 seconds of your Sound Cloud thing sounded naggingly familiar though. 
  • Options
    Download Shazam?
  • Options
    Download Shazam?
    But you need the track for Shazam to work I think. 
  • Options
    I thought it would be Focus from Lenny’s description. The opening bars of his version made me think this even more. Sadly, I can’t offer anything more helpful. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Best I can do is offer a few band suggestions although I don't think they all had hit singles

Tangerine Dream
    Camel
    Wishbone Ash
    Uriah Heap (more rock based but used Hammond organ a lot) 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Download Shazam?
    But you need the track for Shazam to work I think. 
    If Lenny plays his version into Shazam, it could come up.

I can't find it so giving up. Currently watching Ozarks
  • Options
    Also sounds a bit like the start of Child in Time by Deep Puple
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Download Shazam?
    I Shazammed it and it told to me to eff off.
    I really did and unsurprisingly it says no result.
  • Options
    Also sounds a bit like the start of Child in Time by Deep Puple
    Exactly what I thought...but figured the OP would have surely noted and mentioned, in memory, the high pitch wailing/singing which is so prominent on the track. He doesn't so that threw me off. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Road to Cairo, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmlJEESUEvo
  • Options
    Have you tried Songtapper?  Other alternative are available 
  • Options
    Just listened to both Deep purple and Julie Driscoll,  both great blasts from the past, we are in the right era but not there yet. 
    I am confident that my memory of the tune is pretty spot on so when someone comes across the right song, they will have no doubt they got it right.
    Maybe I should tart it up, release it, and wait to be sued....💪🕺🕺
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Have you tried Songtapper?  Other alternative are available 
    Like I said, kept singing into apps my sister through in front of me all friday night...
  • Options
    Una Gadda me Vida by Iron Butterfly ?
    (or whatever it’s called). 
    Just heard it for the first time.
    What a great tune 👋👋
    But not the one...
  • Options
    Thought of The Nice and Greenslade but neither seem to fit. Israel had its own prog rock musicians of which I know very little. The German band Can may be a possibility from that era.
  • Options
    Thought of The Nice and Greenslade but neither seem to fit. Israel had its own prog rock musicians of which I know very little. The German band Can may be a possibility from that era.
    Can assure you it is not Israeli...the German direction is interesting.
  • Options
    I have played it to a couple of my prog fan mates and drawn a blank, although they are confident it is not Focus, ELP or Yes.
    I don't think it is Jethro Tull as I have most of their albums. Might be from A Passion Play, but would have expected to hear a flute at some point.
    It does sound like what little I have heard of Van der Graff Generator, but I am not really familiar with their work.
    That organ riff at the beginning is so familiar, but maybe I recognise it from another song.
    (It's not unlike Sunset by Roxy Music, although it's obviously not that)
    It;s gonna keep me awake tonight unless somebody nails it soon
  • Options
    I have played it to a couple of my prog fan mates and drawn a blank, although they are confident it is not Focus, ELP or Yes.
    I don't think it is Jethro Tull as I have most of their albums. Might be from A Passion Play, but would have expected to hear a flute at some point.
    It does sound like what little I have heard of Van der Graff Generator, but I am not really familiar with their work.
    That organ riff at the beginning is so familiar, but maybe I recognise it from another song.
    (It's not unlike Sunset by Roxy Music, although it's obviously not that)
    It;s gonna keep me awake tonight unless somebody nails it soon
    Great investigating work. I know nothing about Van der Graff, will look (him? Or is it a band name..?) Up. My hunch is that it is either European, or very theatrical dramatic, Roxy music type (but earlier) this song stayed in my head because of the dreamy drama it invoked. It is especially effective when not knowing the language frees you to constract your own scene. I hate understanding music.