Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th January 2022, 7pm | Match Preview

Date: 25th January 2022, 7pm k/o
Competition: Papa John's Trophy Quarter Final
Opposition: Hartlepool United

Introduction

14th in League One. Out of the FA Cup. 13 points from the playoffs. An occasional nervous glance over the shoulder at the bottom four. We've already lost as many games as we did last season, where we missed out on the playoffs on goal difference. Even some of the more optimistic fans are wanting the season to be over, planning the clear out and highlighting positions to strengthen in the summer.

But wait a minute... what's that twinkling light in the gloomy skies of 2021/22? ... A cup quarter final..! Turn those frowns upside down and jump on the good ship HMS Piss the PJT, all the way to Hartlepool.

With Wembley just 2 wins away, we should field a strong side for this one. There's a 6 day gap before the next league game, and plenty of time for rest.

Papa John's Trophy Quarter Finals:

Tuesday 25th January

Wigan vs Arsenal u-21
Rotherham vs Cambridge
Hartlepool vs Charlton
Sutton vs Harrogate

The Opposition

Hartlepool United

Nickname - Monkey Hangers
Formed - 1908
Current League Position - 16th (English League Two)
Manager - Graeme Lee
Captain - Nicky Featherstone
Top Goalscorer - Matty Daly* (7 goals), Mark Cullen (6 goals)

Manager Lee was left bemoaning a lack of finishers at the club following their 1-1 draw on Saturday. In fact they've only won 1 league game in the last 3 months. During this time, they've been performing miracles in the knockout round of cups.

In the FA Cup, they've knocked out League One Lincoln and Wycombe, before dispatching Championship Blackpool in the Third Round. They've been rewarded with a 4th round tie at S***urst Park. In the PJT they've beaten Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton to set up Tuesday's night game with us.

The Hartlepool squad contains one former Addick. Winger Jordan Cook signed for Charlton in the summer of 2012, making just 10 league appearances in his 2 season, before moving on to Walsall and has spent his career in the lower leagues.

*Matty Daly had scored 5 goals in the PJT for Hartlepool this year, but was recalled by parent club Huddersfield last week, to be sent out to Bradford instead.

Team News

With usual PJT stopper Nathan Harness going out on loan to Dulwich Hamlet, McGillivray may start in goal after missing a couple of recent games.

Loanee Juan Castillo won't join his new teammates in training until Monday, so its unlikely he will start this one, but may be good for a place on the bench.

With a large squad and 5 subs available on the night, I'm more clueless than ever on this one. Gilbey, Purrington and Leko should come in after only making the bench on Saturday. Sam Lavelle has played twice for the under 23s so it would make sense for him to continue his recovery and return in this one, but not sure how that effects the balance of the back 3.

Other than that, the only 2 players I would be very surprised to see start are Aneke and Inniss.

My predicted team:

Prediction

3-1 to Charlton and the unexpected excitement of a semi.

Comments

• Washington to start?
  • Thanks to your excellent preview Ben I’m actually quite excited.

Wembley?  You never know.
  • I went to that JPT Quarter-Final at Brentford in 2010. A terrible scoreless game on a bitterly cold mid-December evening. Literally the only thing I can remember about it are our missed penalties, including one from Jacko.

Let's hope our hardy travellers are rewarded  on Tuesday with a victory and that elusive passage into a semi-final. I think our only quarter-final win in my lifetime was on penalties at Goodison Park in 1987 in the late and unlamented Full Members Cup.
  • I'm sure Jacko eyes the PJ Cup as a great opportunity for him as a new manager...  a Wembley Final, Silverware and Thomas would love it. I'm hoping Jacko puts out a strong team and Charlton navigate get past the Monkey Hangers on Tuesday night and bury the quarter final jinx.  IF we get past the next 2 games then i'm sure most Addicks would be up for the FINAL in April. Yes it's only the PJ Cup but its' still Wembley and 98,19 experiences will live forever less so 87 Final. Two important games to go, I'll be watching on Charlton TV. 
  • Anyone know if it’ll be available as an online stream?
  • CafcWest said:
    Anyone know if it’ll be available as an online stream?
    Yeah it will be
  • Let's go for it. An fa cup and a meaningless efl trophy on the display on display in a glass cabinet
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope the game is as exciting as your preview Ben, great write up.

COYR
  • CafcWest said:
    Anyone know if it’ll be available as an online stream?
    Yeah it will be
    It'll also be live on TalkSport 2.
  • edited January 2022

Superb preview. I had no idea they were called the Monkey Hangers but having been to Hartlepool a few times I can guess why.

When I got out of my car the first time, I remember thinking I must have stumbled on to the film set for a remake of Mad Max.

At least they have a Tory MP now so that will help them. Poor sods.

Hope they win. They need cheering up and this is all a waste of time anyway except for the previews of course. 

We will lose on penalties after a tortuous display of ineptitude in sub-zero temperatures. 

• I reckon we'll have a pretty strong team out but I'd expect Watson, Elerewe and Henry to start.
  • Great preview. I know some dont fancy this comp and thats fine but I do hope its something we look to win.

Could be a dodgy one but fancy us to see it through. 

2-0 Charlton. Burstow and Gilbey
  • Our away form hasn't been good this season so I am hopeful that we can manage this game and start improving. We need to take the chances so maybe for once we can be more clinical. 
  • Great Preview.

I don’t think Dobson will be involved, expect Watson to start and Aaron Henry to be called up to replace Watson on the bench. 

1-0 Charlton. Almost Wembley bound.

• Hartlepool v Charlton Athletic on a Tuesday night on a bitterly cold North east night in January in a tournament where a Pizza buffet (all you can eat) has turned into a meal at the Ritz.

Will the Players be up for it ?
    Will CAFC fans/critics realize that the Papa John's is a worthy successor to watching Johnston's paint dry ?
    Will Terry Smith on Charlton TV contest every free kick given or not Shay Given ?

The days of beating Chelsea at the Bridge are over, (no shit Sherlock) this is our European Champions League quarter final.

Bravo to the fans going, you will be able to tell your grandchildren you were there, just like I will one day after being at the full members cup game against Bradford at Selhurst with 816 others; 10k insist they were there but they are mistaken.

Monkey hangers 1 Charlton Athletic 4

Have a slice of the action.

• Good luck to all those travelling,  
    I will be watching from afar on Charlton TV. 
    COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022
    Lose this and the season really would be over. 

If we do win and draw a home semi-final, it would be interesting to see how many would turn up. There are plenty who are "meh" about this cup and wont bother until the final if we got there so that would be a big factor. Probably about what we get for a league game I reckon, unless TS does another free ticket push, not sure if the EFL would allow that though.

• edited January 2022
    Great preview.
    I think I would play Watson instead of Dobson. Only because he is so important that I would not want him getting injured in this game.
    May even play Davison up front for Barstow for same reason.
  • edited January 2022
    Club website thinks it's a league game 
    When I click on the ticket link on club website, I'm taken to the Portsmouth game? 
  • Recall Sunderland v Portsmouth had a huge attendance for the final a few years ago. 
    Our play off year I think ! 

• Superb preview. I had no idea they were called the Monkey Hangers but having been to Hartlepool a few times I can guess why.

When I got out of my car the first time, I remember thinking I must have stumbled on to the film set for a remake of Mad Max.

Hope they win. They need cheering up and this is all a waste of time anyway except for the previews of course. 

We will lose on penalties after a tortuous display of ineptitude in sub-zero temperatures. 

During the Napoleonic Wars there was a storm and a frigate got sunk off the Hartlepool coast - A monkey that had been on the ship made it to shore, but because the locals had never seen one before - They thought it was a French Spy so hung it.

• Superb preview. I had no idea they were called the Monkey Hangers but having been to Hartlepool a few times I can guess why.

During the Napoleonic Wars there was a storm and a frigate got sunk off the Hartlepool coast - A monkey that had been on the ship made it to shore, but because the locals had never seen one before - They thought it was a French Spy so hung it.
    I just checked that...that is hilarious haha!

Pedant alert: hanged