Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm | Match Preview

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic
Monday 31st January 2022 - 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Neil Hair

Introduction
Charlton take a break from Football this weekend. With no Premier League Football (due to its now introduced winter break), SKY are forced to look elsewhere to fill its live coverage slots. This Monday night they've decided to show Portsmouth playing host to a Charlton side that has once again lost its identity. At least this weekend, we can sit back and watch as other results come in, highlighting the ever growing need for three points.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (10th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
Ground: Fratton Park
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-2 Portsmouth

Performances have been so memorable this season, that I had to stop and question if we've even played Pompey at the Valley this season. The two sides ended up playing out a 2-2 draw, with, the now departed; Josh Davison scoring a late equaliser. Which given the stats (and comments) on the BBC website, was no less than what we deserved... If only I could remember.

Life on the South Coast for the Cowley's hasn't exactly been straightforward either though - Like ourselves; Pompey narrowly missed out on the Play-Offs, so their rebuild in the summer could have been minimal... Unfortunately there was an exodus of players, including Craig MacGillivray who headed to SE7.

As a result the Portsmouth form as perhaps been a little indifferent at times this season, a strong start was replaced by seven games without a victory - Result did pick up though, and this fixture has surely been picked for TV coverage, thanks to the run of games for Portsmouth which saw them pick up seven wins in ten games. Our opponents though have stumbled of late, and apart for a solitary win in the EFL Trophy, have failed to win in 2022. Remarkably that leaves Portsmouth just five points ahead of the Addicks. Based on the consistency of both teams, its likely that this will once again be a League One fixture next term.

Charlton Team News
Defeat against Hartlepool United wasn't the ideal scenario, but it certainly provided us with the insight that Ben Watson's best days are now behind him, the ageing midfielder will now be surely used as an ultimate last resort - As a result you'd hope that George Dobson will return to the midfield, our trip to the North East showed that of all our players, he is the key spine of this current Charlton team.

Elsewhere and in recent weeks our ranks have been bolstered with Juan Castillo and Nile John  both joining on loan - The former was unable to play against Fleetwood (due to COVID), yet made a cameo appearance against Hartlepool, so could now come into first team contention - The latter on the other hand could make his debut this Monday night, and comes highly recommended by random ex-player of ours. Although his opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt, given he rarely featured, and never amounted to much whilst in SE7.

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Famewo
Jaiyesimi - Gilbey - Dobson - Castillo
John
Aneke - Burstow

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Purrington - Morgan - Leko - Lee - Washington

Prediction
Its a rare season for our involvement in any cup competition to last until January, so to remain in two of those into the New Year is quite an achievement in itself - Our exit in the EFL Trophy though means that our sole attention returns to ending our League One campaign as strongly as possible - With the Addicks not playing today, its a chance for our rivals to put pressure on us. We of course can return the favour with three points on the South Coast, provided we address our poor away form this season.

Comments

• Good preview.
    Have no idea what to expect from us these days.
    I'm hoping both new boys start and that they have a transformative effect on our play.
    Maybe they can introduce some incisive passing to feet and get the likes of Aneke, Burstow and maybe Washington in behind.
    My gut feeling is they will both start on the bench and be introduced when we are behind and effectively beaten.
    I'd rather not have DJ on the right with his inability to deliver any consistent end product, but as the alternative is the woefully out of form Leko, what can you do.
    2-0 Pompey
  • 1-1 undeserved draw scoreline like hartlepool
  • 2-2 Burstow and Dobson 
  • that's weird. i don't remember the home game either. 
  • No Stockley no party. 

There will be no Stockley..... 
  • Think you have to play Washington. IMO the most intelligent footballer at the club. I’d put Mason on the bench for this one, particularly as the Chelsea youth team vultures are circling. 
    Be good to see Aneke and Washington up top. 
  • Two ex-premier league giants fight it out! I should be writing headlines for Sky. I imagine the neutrals will be salivating at the prospect of this game. I'm afraid I can't raise much enthusiasm for it.

0-2 loss. Hope I'm wrong.
  • got a feeling the viewing figures are gonna be pretty big. what with the fact that apart from Championship rugby league and Eastenders there isent much else on. 
  • Thought the home game was a decent match but it's all relative I suppose!

Lee needs to come out for a while and I wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan start as he has put in a couple of decent performances.  If Nile John isn't quite ready perhaps Gilbey plays the more advanced midfield role and could well see Washington partner Chuks up top and have Burstow to come off the bench. 

Our away form is woeful and can't see that changing here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at the fixtures today and midweek, if we get beat on Monday we could be in the serious brown stuff before we play Wimbledon.  Then it's Bolton away and the reverse of our opening 4 fixtures.......

We COULD be in the serious shit by the end of February.  I am not wetting the bed yet but 3 or 4 points in the next 7 games and I will be .
  • Burstow must start. Reckon he and Chuks will score. 
  • We continue to go down the plug hole. 

Were we not their bogey team for donkeys?  Sad times.

3-0 to Pompey
  • Thanks for a great preview. 
    Sadly, our season is over - save for two things. 
    A good show away at Pompey on Monday and a win at home to Gillingham. 
    My prediction for Monday is 1-1 and a brilliant game. 
  • We are awful. 

And even worse away from home.

And never win on Sky.

And who cares anyway ?

I don't. 

Much.

2.1  Aneke 96. 

• I can't see John starting. He's 18 and never played senior football before. Could see him not even making the bench. I think it's Lee instead of John despite Lee's dip in form. I could also see Purrington instead of Castillo, but think that's harder to call.

My head says Washington because he's a better, more rounded player at this point. But my heart says Burstow, and I struggle to see Jacko dropping him after he's scored two in two. 
  • 1-0 win. Mason Burstow to be the 2022 Nicky Ajose.

• We need to ring the changes sooner rather than later. Been carrying too much dead wood. 
  • that's weird. i don't remember the home game either. 
    If I remember correctly, They were going over like nine pins without anyone bowling the ball. Hopefully we get a 2-1 as 2 of us Addicks are watching it round a Pompey mates house with a few beers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Morecambe Shrewsbury and Doncaster all winning. Yep that’s right, our season is over
  • Stewart said:
    Morecambe Shrewsbury and Doncaster all winning. Yep that’s right, our season is over
    Season won’t be over until we are safe.
  • 2-0 away win.

Innis & Fraser with the goals.
  • McG
    Gunter  Inniss  Famewo
    Clare       Dobson       Castillo
    John  Gilbey
    Aneke  Washington

Do not want to see either Leko or DJ at RWB,
  • Stewart said:
    Morecambe Shrewsbury and Doncaster all winning. Yep that’s right, our season is over
    And shit John Marquis has put Lincoln ahead.....

We are very near the bown stuff. 
  • comfortable home win 4-0
  • I think JJ said in one of his interviews, Quote” I don’t look at the table, we’re just trying to win games”… maybe he ought to take a picture of the table, put it up on the dressing room wall and remind the players what an absolute shite job they have done this season!!. Pathetic,embarrassment of a team at the moment. I do usually try and be positive and like a silly comment/joke on here trying to not be too serious. But this week really has hit home what a pile of shit weve seen this year, when all we all want is a bit of respite from the daily things that really do matter. We just want entertaining….. we are not entertained!!!!!!…. Unless you go down the oak after a game!.🤣. 

Nicky Ajose was mr big billy bollocks who was all puff and nonsense. Mason seems an honest grafter who cannot be compared to Ajose who wasn’t 

Nicky Ajose was mr big billy bollocks who was all puff and nonsense. Mason seems an honest grafter who cannot be compared to Ajose who wasn’t 
    To be fair, Ajose had a stretch when Bow first came in where he really worked hard for the team, put himself about, made some good runs and got into some good positions. He didn't score much, maybe only got one, but it was AGAINST PORTSMOUTH, which I think is what SWA is referring to here. 
  • edited January 2022
    1-0 win. Mason Burstow to be the 2022 Nicky Ajose.

To clarify. Ajose scored his final two goals of his Charlton career at Fratton Park in to separate matches.That was the reference I was making.