Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    I can't see John starting. He's 18 and never played senior football before. Could see him not even making the bench. I think it's Lee instead of John despite Lee's dip in form. I could also see Purrington instead of Castillo, but think that's harder to call.

My head says Washington because he's a better, more rounded player at this point. But my heart says Burstow, and I struggle to see Jacko dropping him after he's scored two in two. 
    Got to play him sometime! Why sign him in first place?
    Good preview. 1 nil Famewo bundles in 10 minutes from time. 
  • Options
    I don’t think Castillo will start.
  • Options
    Pompey will mark Aneke and "Chelsea-bound"(!) Burstow out of the game. Fancy someone Gilbey or Dobson to nick it. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I can't see John starting. He's 18 and never played senior football before. Could see him not even making the bench. I think it's Lee instead of John despite Lee's dip in form. I could also see Purrington instead of Castillo, but think that's harder to call.

My head says Washington because he's a better, more rounded player at this point. But my heart says Burstow, and I struggle to see Jacko dropping him after he's scored two in two. 
    Got to play him sometime! Why sign him in first place?
    Good preview. 1 nil Famewo bundles in 10 minutes from time. 
    Jacko said they'd asses him as he hadn't trained with the team as of I think Friday. You can play him Saturday or Tuesday week up at Bolton, rotating the squad when we have two games in four days. It doesn't have to be tomorrow. 

As to why sign him, which I know was meant rhetorically but which I'm going to take seriously because I've been thinking about it a lot: it's a good question. We'll know more once we see him play in terms of where he is. I think he's been signed as cover for Lee. We don't have any natural cover for Lee. I don't think he's been signed to start 18 games.

I also suspect it's something similar to when we signed Jay DaSilva that first year. He's young and raw and perhaps not fully physically developed. Anything he can contribute in the next six months is great, but we have our eye on potentially keeping him around for 18 months. If he's brilliant, then great, he keeps us up and he probably goes to a Championship club on loan next year. If he's not any good, then we can send him back with our best wishes. But if he shows he's got something about him then I'm thinking we'll try and get him back in next season. 
  • Options
    It will come down to how they deal with our threats which I see as Innis and Aneke and if the can get on top of our midfield. These are the key areas where the match will be won or lost I suspect.
  • Options
    Anybody allowed to suggest a moody stream?
  • Options
    Just looked at the table.

A win tonight means we could reach second place in the lower half of the third division.

No wonder people can't contain their excitement.
  • Options
    Tonight’s game will be live on BBC Radio London on digital (DAB radio or the BBC radio London channel on digital tv but not online) 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Tonight’s game will be live on BBC Radio London on digital (DAB radio or the BBC radio London channel on digital tv but not online) 
    Do you know who will be relaying the action?
  • Options
    Would like to see a change of tactics/formation for away matches, as what we’ve been doing so far isn’t working. 
    Whether that’s 442, 4231 or whatever, I’ve no idea (just for a change). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Would like to see a change of tactics/formation for away matches, as what we’ve been doing so far isn’t working. 
    Whether that’s 442, 4231 or whatever, I’ve no idea (just for a change). 
    Agreed, something to just make the other team think .
  • Options
    I think it is more personnel than the tactics. If players are off form, you need to drop them. The two strikers need to occupy opponents for our system to work and there has to be goal threat from other areas.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Anybody allowed to suggest a moody stream?
    Hesgoal is very moody.
  • Options
    Expect us to lose but hope we don't.
  • Options
    Will be watching on Now TV. We always do rather well at Pompey but if Jackson sets up a defensive formation it will probably be 2-0 to the home side.

• Options
    no idea how tonight will go - we know that we have the capability to win it but we also know we have the capability to put in a crap performance 
  • Options
    I'm confident about tonight.

I'm confident that we're going to turn in one of our "Live on Sky"-style performances, coupled with ropey recent form, and get humped.

Pompey 3-0 :(
  • Options
    The only thing in our favour is that Pompey never seem to turn up against us - it's a bit like us against Millwall.
  • Options
    This will kick off at 1:30am where I am in Sri Lanka, and I have no coverage, so I’ll be missing this one. I’ll catch up with the match thread when I greet Tuesday from my balcony:

• Options
    The only thing in our favour is that Pompey never seem to turn up against us - it's a bit like us against Millwall.
    Well that’s well and truly put the mockers on us!! You do know we are the most charitable club there is when records need correcting?!!😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you've got the best option there @AddicksAddict :smile:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Think you have to play Washington. IMO the most intelligent footballer at the club. I’d put Mason on the bench for this one, particularly as the Chelsea youth team vultures are circling. 
    Be good to see Aneke and Washington up top. 
    He's a terrible finisher, I'm hoping he's only a squad player next season. 
    He’s terrible when he shoots with his right from left of the goal. He should pass when in that position. Otherwise, he’s OK. 
  • Options
    Tonights predicted Line up 

Mac 
    Famewo - Pearce - Innis
    Clare - Dobson - Gilbey - Purrington
    Morgan
    Washington - Burstow

Subs -
    Henderson , John , Castillo , Lavelle , Lee ,Morgan , Aneke .

And a 2-1 away win on sky . 

• Options
    This will kick off at 1:30am where I am in Sri Lanka, and I have no coverage, so I’ll be missing this one. I’ll catch up with the match thread when I greet Tuesday from my balcony:

That view is a bit grim...
  • Options
    Nice shed roof.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    seth plum said:
    LouisMend said:
    Do you know who will be relaying the action?
    The excellent Nick Godwin, with Sam Parkin summarising and myself pitching in with my pearls of wisdom 
  • Options
    That was a nice goal Clare scored V Pompey at home in the draw.
  • Options
    unfortunately will be driving for most of the game any way i can get it on radio? 
  • Options
    unfortunately will be driving for most of the game any way i can get it on radio? 
    If you have a DAB radio in the car then BBC London Digital will have it, not on 94.9fm though