Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Changes To The Highway Code

Comments

• Options
    Went in to WH Smiths yesterday to try and buy a hard copy of the new Highway Code and was told -its not in shops until 11 April !!!!!!!!  ??
    Brexit.

seriously though. How can someone be prosecuted for a breach of the Highway Code if it isn’t available to the public ?
    You can’t be prosecuted for breaching the guidance in the code. You can be prosecuted for breaking the laws of the road.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:

I was witness to a 32t fixed bed muck-away lorry go over a cyclist on the Goldhawk Road a few years ago. They were both at the lights with the woman on the bike holding onto the railings and the lorry indicating to turn left. As the lights turned green, they both took off and the cyclist ended up under the lorry.

There was no legal case to answer as, I presume, the witnesses gave the same account as what I did, re’ the lorry indicating to turn left, but I was contacted shortly after moving to France by an ambulance chasing law firm who said the lady had suffered “life changing injuries” and they were starting a civil case against the company that owned the lorry (Sure it was Tarmac).

My view is that it was completely the cyclist at fault, and it should be down to her to look for the signs that the bigger vehicle might be turning across her path. As I understand it now though, the lorry driver would need to give way to any cyclists who are on his inside (in his blind spot)? If that is the case, I think its going to lead to a lot more accidents with people getting injured and killed.

I’ve always tried to let pedestrians cross if I’m turning into a road, but only if the road I’m on allows it

You was starring out the window of Cooke’s waiting for that double double to settle, weren’t ya?
    The lorry shouldn't have a blind spot. It there is/was a blind spot, they need to fit additional mirrors so that there isn't one.

Out of interest, did the cyclist undertake the lorry after is indicated i.e. knew it was turning left or didn't know
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    redman said:
    Drivers should give cyclists 5 feet when overtaking under the new code. Is this much different from before. Out of interest what was it? 
    Previously it was ambiguous about this saying that you should only overtake when safe to do so and leave as much room as you would when overtaking a car. 

This rule if followed will make the biggest difference to cyclists day to day in my view.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Drivers should give cyclists 5 feet when overtaking under the new code. Is this much different from before. Out of interest what was it? 
    Previously it was ambiguous about this saying that you should only overtake when safe to do so and leave as much room as you would when overtaking a car. 

This rule if followed will make the biggest difference to cyclists day to day in my view.
    Thanks. Your point "if followed" is of course doubtful. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    redman said:

Thanks. Your point "if followed" is of course doubtful. 
    I can only generally spit phlegm 4 feet so there is a built in margin of error. Closer than that and your cars getting decorated 😉
  • Options
    May be an image of 1 person street and text
    Can anybody explain what this road sign means?
    Extra marks for identifying the location.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Lakedale / Plumstead high Street.
  • Options
    Quite recent change said drivers should give way to pedestrians crossing the road at side street type junctions.
    So you get to the kerb as a car approaches and it is touch and go if the car is going to stop to let you cross or run you down.
    Ignorant morons the ones who don’t stop, proper drivers the ones who slow down and wave you across.
  • Options
    Nearing the end of our holiday through Belgium and Holland. One thing that has amazed me is how bike friendly these places are. We are in Antwerp at the moment which is even more bike friendly than Amsterdam which I thought would be impossible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    clive said:
    I’ve seen one of these before - a green light comes on with a cycle icon to tell them it’s safe to go (iirc)
  • Options
    I reckon I"ve nearly had 2 rear enders since the change in the "rules" -  having to allow pedestrians to cross when turning left from a main road into a side street so having to put on the anchors just as I start my turn. Car behind screech to a halt & blast their horn as they think I'm turning & then I dont.

I'm only going to get rear ended once before I decide in future I'll make my turn & damn the pedestrians. 
  • Options
    I reckon I"ve nearly had 2 rear enders since the change in the "rules" -  having to allow pedestrians to cross when turning left from a main road into a side street so having to put on the anchors just as I start my turn. Car behind screech to a halt & blast their horn as they think I'm turning & then I dont.

I'm only going to get rear ended once before I decide in future I'll make my turn & damn the pedestrians. 

It isn't difficult to slow down to a crawl as you approach your left turn off a main road - the traffic behind you then has no choice but to do the same.
  • Options

• Options
    I was particularly meaning walking down a main road with lots of side roads, you get to the kerb of the side street, even a bit before a vehicle gets there from the side street. Instead of stopping to let you across many drivers carry on, leaving you standing in their exhaust fumes while they stop, creep, look around and then proceed.
    If feels like they reckon it would be wrong to obey the Highway Code, even if you’re waiting in the rain.
  • Options

Go for a double ender next time 
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:

Go for a double ender next time 
    Isn’t this another example of a golfie? 
    Having someone come from behind at least twice.
  • Options
    I have done a fair bit of driving abroad recently. We are nearing the end of a holiday now. What I can say, and there are exceptions, but driving standards seem strongest in the UK. We do have them of course but far more seem to drive impatiently in Europe. Italy, where I drove last year was by far the worst with a see a gap and go for it principle.
  • Options
    I have done a fair bit of driving abroad recently. We are nearing the end of a holiday now. What I can say, and there are exceptions, but driving standards seem strongest in the UK. We do have them of course but far more seem to drive impatiently in Europe. Italy, where I drove last year was by far the worst with a see a gap and go for it principle.
    Germany are by far the best in my experience, France and Italy the worst.
  • Options
    You lot should see the driving in Africa......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    India is one of my favourite holiday destinations. 
    But the driving is mental. 
    I was on a coach out there once going along a motorway. 
    A heard of cows was being herded along the motorway straight towards us.
    The driver never batted an eyelid he just swerved around them.
    Also it's quite common to see a whole family on a motorbike. Two adults Two kids and a dog in a basket. 
    I kid you not these are common things to see.
  • Options
    Also it's quite common to see a whole family on a motorbike. Two adults Two kids and a dog in a basket. 
    Recent trip to Kenya. Turning right off a 3 lane highway crossing the other carriageway is allowed. Its not unusual to have a Lorry (ridiculously overloaded so it has a top speed of about 20kph) stop an entire carriageway so it can turn right. Alternatively if you want a smaller right turn off the highway there might not be a gap in the central reservation at the right place so you take the previous right turn and drive the wrong way down the carriageway until you get to your turnoff. Plenty of Donkey or hand pulled carts on the highways, even saw an entire school of children being walked down the inside lane. And the highways were the best regulated part of it! Roundabouts were a whole different experience! 
  • Options
    India's in Asia mate ;)
  • Options
    India's in Asia mate ;)
    Explains why I failed my geography exams 😔 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Having moved from Dartford to the Isle of Wight and had 18 months of enforced non-driving, now that I’m back on the roads I am astounded at the behavioural difference in driving. Around the M25 etc it is cutthroat every driver for themselves with a fair bit of road rage thrown in for good measure. On the island it is, generally very courteous especially with the amount of narrow roads. One issue that is much more obvious now that I’m back is the effect of the new rules with regard to passing cyclists. To be clear, I have nothing against cyclists per se, this isn’t an anti-cycling comment. But when the rules decree that you have to be on the other side of the road when you pass them (when it is perfectly possible to pass safely a bit closer to them) is causing problems. I (and several hundred other vehicle drivers) took 45 minutes to drive from Lake to Newport last week because of a single cyclist meandering along the main road at 8mph. Virtually impossible to pass while obeying the rules. Journey should have taken 10 mins. Even worse on the leafy lanes where it is literally impossible to pass them legally. Frustrated drivers eventually resorted to type and passed in the old fashioned way. If the cyclist had a go-pro as many of them do them do a lot of drivers will be getting a letter in the post. Not sure what the answer is but there are accidents waiting to happen. 
  • Options
    If I was going to do a table of worst to best over the last couple of years driving in europe I would go (best first) 1. Switzerland, 2. Netherlands, 3.Belgium, 4. France and 5. Italy
  • Options
    Sail before steam.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    In a Fiat Multipla taxi in Rome, taxi driver has music radio on full burst, he's talking into his mobile using his right hand, working the radio to his cab office periodically with his left, steering with his knees and waving to a policeman on point as we go through the lights on piazza at about 40mph, whilst also having a slurp of coffee every now and then, and smoking. We got to Sistine Steps in about 5 minutes.