Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Changes To The Highway Code

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I have done a fair bit of driving abroad recently. We are nearing the end of a holiday now. What I can say, and there are exceptions, but driving standards seem strongest in the UK. We do have them of course but far more seem to drive impatiently in Europe. Italy, where I drove last year was by far the worst with a see a gap and go for it principle.
    Generally think motorway driving is better in other Western European countries. Lane discipline exists and there's a lot fewer middle lane hoggers. UK motorway driving is atrocious.

Just got back from Spain and the flip side of that is they seemed to have no idea how to use lanes or indicators on roundabouts. Just had to guess the intent of every driver coming around.
  • Options
    This is reminding me of a conversation I had with someone from one of the African offices of a bank I used to work for. He was telling us about his lifestyle as a single guy, how he had a housekeeper and a cook and how he went out clubbing and would probably drink too much. I asked him if he also had a chauffeur and he said no, he didn’t need one, that he was a good driver and had only crashed his car 4 times…
  • Options
    redman said:
    Drivers should give cyclists 5 feet when overtaking under the new code. Is this much different from before. Out of interest what was it? 
    1.5m on the continent
  • Options
    Seems that some (a lot) of cyclists think the laws physically protect them from serious injury or worse. A bit like people walking straight out on a zebra crossing instead of waiting for vehicles to stop, sure IF there is an accident you'll probably have the law, on your side, but that ain't much help if you've been hurt or killed.

• Options
    My order of precedent designed to remove the ‘right of way’ tyranny would be:

Insects, small animals, children, large animals, elderly pedestrians, general pedestrians, push chair drivers, mobility scooters, scooter riders, cyclists, motorcyclists, small cars, big cars, vans, trucks, lorries, container lorries.

Unfortunately many dickhead car drivers think they have precedent over everybody else.

• Options
    As do many dickhead cyclists!
  • Options
    Does anybody over 30 take any notice of this, if it wasn’t for reading it here I would be oblivious to changes to the HC
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Insects, small animals, children, large animals, elderly pedestrians, general pedestrians, push chair drivers, mobility scooters, scooter riders, cyclists, motorcyclists, small cars, big cars, vans, trucks, lorries, container lorries.

Unfortunately many dickhead car drivers think they have precedent over everybody else.

It's a bit difficult to spot an insect when you are driving a car.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I reckon I"ve nearly had 2 rear enders since the change in the "rules" -  having to allow pedestrians to cross when turning left from a main road into a side street so having to put on the anchors just as I start my turn. Car behind screech to a halt & blast their horn as they think I'm turning & then I dont.

I'm only going to get rear ended once before I decide in future I'll make my turn & damn the pedestrians. 

It isn't difficult to slow down to a crawl as you approach your left turn off a main road - the traffic behind you then has no choice but to do the same.
    How are you supposed to know if they are going to cross or not…..for example, young kids often run on ahead of their accompanying adults and wait for them to catch up.
    This rule is filled with ambiguity and indecision assuming the pedestrian is going to act in a reasonable manner.
    The way it looks at present is that it’s entirely the responsibility of the driver…..surely it’s a dual undertaking?
    Rear enders are surely going to be on the increase!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    A few years back in Indonesia, I saw a moped with a full size commercial oxygen bottle lying at right angle across the back of the seat being driven by a totally oblivious driver.
    This was on one of their main intercity highways!
    No one seemed either surprised or in the slightest bit concerned.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

It's a bit difficult to spot an insect when you are driving a car.
    Maybe that’s because they don’t include insect spotting in the driving test.
    Otherwise you may well be right, insects don’t count.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I reckon I"ve nearly had 2 rear enders since the change in the "rules" -  having to allow pedestrians to cross when turning left from a main road into a side street so having to put on the anchors just as I start my turn. Car behind screech to a halt & blast their horn as they think I'm turning & then I dont.

I'm only going to get rear ended once before I decide in future I'll make my turn & damn the pedestrians. 

It isn't difficult to slow down to a crawl as you approach your left turn off a main road - the traffic behind you then has no choice but to do the same.
    How are you supposed to know if they are going to cross or not…..for example, young kids often run on ahead of their accompanying adults and wait for them to catch up.
    This rule is filled with ambiguity and indecision assuming the pedestrian is going to act in a reasonable manner.
    The way it looks at present is that it’s entirely the responsibility of the driver…..surely it’s a dual undertaking?
    I think in your example if the kids are at the side of the road, the order of events is the driver waits for the kids, the kids wait for the adults, the driver waits for everybody to cross, then proceeds.
    For the sake of safety drivers should assume anybody waiting by the kerb is not lingering purposelessly but is most likely to be waiting (however long) to cross.
  • Options
    I’ve always taken that the underpass at the danson interchange was a 30 limit and stick to that as the OB every now and again will hide behind the bushes or the bus stop as you go round the bend and up the hill. Recently spotted a dual carriageway sign on the road, so is 30 still the limit?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    bobmunro said:

Also worrying if you happen to be in the red light district, could you be done for kerb crawling, when in fact all you doing was waiting for the young lady / gentleman to cross? Just asking for a friend?
  • Options
    I drove over to Turin as a 19 yr old (Italia 90)
    Absolutely loved it.
    Having no insurance added to the thrill.
  • Options
    Does anybody over 30 take any notice of this, if it wasn’t for reading it here I would be oblivious to changes to the HC
    I’m well over 30 and did bother reading about the changes and thought it would  just mean more angry motorists. 

I’m not personally seeing that in my area which I accept is rural and most cyclists are recreational users not urban commuters or couriers on a mission.

Just as most drivers slow down and navigate horses with consideration without having to be told, i think the new HC is simply requiring acceptance that cyclists are vulnerable road users and not obstacle to be passed as soon as possible by taking risks.

It means I don’t worry about holding up frustrated macho drivers who don’t know the HC.

• Options
    Having moved from Dartford to the Isle of Wight and had 18 months of enforced non-driving, now that I’m back on the roads I am astounded at the behavioural difference in driving. Around the M25 etc it is cutthroat every driver for themselves with a fair bit of road rage thrown in for good measure. On the island it is, generally very courteous especially with the amount of narrow roads. One issue that is much more obvious now that I’m back is the effect of the new rules with regard to passing cyclists. To be clear, I have nothing against cyclists per se, this isn’t an anti-cycling comment. But when the rules decree that you have to be on the other side of the road when you pass them (when it is perfectly possible to pass safely a bit closer to them) is causing problems. I (and several hundred other vehicle drivers) took 45 minutes to drive from Lake to Newport last week because of a single cyclist meandering along the main road at 8mph. Virtually impossible to pass while obeying the rules. Journey should have taken 10 mins. Even worse on the leafy lanes where it is literally impossible to pass them legally. Frustrated drivers eventually resorted to type and passed in the old fashioned way. If the cyclist had a go-pro as many of them do them do a lot of drivers will be getting a letter in the post. Not sure what the answer is but there are accidents waiting to happen. 
    If you want cut throat, try Coppins Bridge roundabout during the rush hour, Billy!
    There is now a decent cycle path from Sandown to Newport along the former railway track, which is much more pleasant and flatter than the A road. Have you tried driving it as an alternative?
    That'll teach the cycling WAnchors!
  • Options
    On day one of the new rules I got stuck behind three kids riding three abreast on a quiet, wide road.  It was obvious they were testing the new rules - equally obvious they had no intentions of being considerate  :)  

• be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so
    https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/

• Options
    I’m well over 30 and did bother reading about the changes and thought it would  just mean more angry motorists. 

I’m not personally seeing that in my area which I accept is rural and most cyclists are recreational users not urban commuters or couriers on a mission.

Just as most drivers slow down and navigate horses with consideration without having to be told, i think the new HC is simply requiring acceptance that cyclists are vulnerable road users and not obstacle to be passed as soon as possible by taking risks.

It means I don’t worry about holding up frustrated macho drivers who don’t know the HC.

• Options
    Having moved from Dartford to the Isle of Wight and had 18 months of enforced non-driving, now that I’m back on the roads I am astounded at the behavioural difference in driving. Around the M25 etc it is cutthroat every driver for themselves with a fair bit of road rage thrown in for good measure. On the island it is, generally very courteous especially with the amount of narrow roads. One issue that is much more obvious now that I’m back is the effect of the new rules with regard to passing cyclists. To be clear, I have nothing against cyclists per se, this isn’t an anti-cycling comment. But when the rules decree that you have to be on the other side of the road when you pass them (when it is perfectly possible to pass safely a bit closer to them) is causing problems. I (and several hundred other vehicle drivers) took 45 minutes to drive from Lake to Newport last week because of a single cyclist meandering along the main road at 8mph. Virtually impossible to pass while obeying the rules. Journey should have taken 10 mins. Even worse on the leafy lanes where it is literally impossible to pass them legally. Frustrated drivers eventually resorted to type and passed in the old fashioned way. If the cyclist had a go-pro as many of them do them do a lot of drivers will be getting a letter in the post. Not sure what the answer is but there are accidents waiting to happen. 
    If you want cut throat, try Coppins Bridge roundabout during the rush hour, Billy!
    There is now a decent cycle path from Sandown to Newport along the former railway track, which is much more pleasant and flatter than the A road. Have you tried driving it as an alternative?
    That'll teach the cycling WAnchors!
    Yup, Coppins Bridge can be a pain but it's relative.  Anytime I'm stuck in it for ten minutes I think back to the M25/A2 junction delays and the general meltdown around Dartford whenever anything went tits up (i.e. every day").  There are some things I just don't miss,,,,,,The old Railway line cycle paths around the island are brilliant.  The one from Wroxall to Shanklin was a lifesaver for me when I was limited to my mobility scooter.