Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland manager sacked

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sunderland lost 5-1 to Rotherham, 4-0 to Pompey, and 3-0 to Sheff Wed this season which probably contributed to the decision. 
    But also beat Wednesday 5-0 in the reverse fixture, big 5-0 wins v Cheltenham and Morecambe, 4-0 v Crewe, beat Wigan, Plymouth and Portsmouth at home, won at MK Dons, took 4 points off Wycombe and Ipswich.

Seemed to be getting it right more often that not. 7 defeats in 29 shouldn't get you the sack.
  • Options
    When you get the sack on a day when you could go top if you win then you know there's more to it unless football is now a one result business ?

The young Sunderland chairman/owner and Johnson obviously don't see eye to eye.

Just like AFKA and Elf's wouldn't see eye to eye with the Sunderland owner. 
  • Options
    Sunderland lost 5-1 to Rotherham, 4-0 to Pompey, and 3-0 to Sheff Wed this season which probably contributed to the decision. 
    But also beat Wednesday 5-0 in the reverse fixture, big 5-0 wins v Cheltenham and Morecambe, 4-0 v Crewe, beat Wigan, Plymouth and Portsmouth at home, won at MK Dons, took 4 points off Wycombe and Ipswich.

Seemed to be getting it right more often that not. 7 defeats in 29 shouldn't get you the sack.
    I wouldn't expect such heavy defeats given the strength of their squad in L1 - they capitulate when losing. I personally don't think Johnson will be a great loss.

Time will tell if the owner made the right call. A lot of the fans don't seem that upset.
  • Options

I wouldn't expect such heavy defeats given the strength of their squad in L1 - they capitulate when losing. I personally don't think Johnson will be a great loss.

Time will tell if the owner made the right call. A lot of the fans don't seem that upset.
    a lot will depend of course on who gets the manager's job next
  • Options
    discussion on this on Quest .. consensus was that the team goes 2 down and just packs it in .. lack of bottle, the team needs motivation and that was perhaps not being provided by Johnson
    which unlike us as we only need to go 1-0 down before packing it in.
  • Options
    When you get the sack on a day when you could go top if you win then you know there's more to it unless football is now a one result business ?

The young Sunderland chairman/owner and Johnson obviously don't see eye to eye.

Just like AFKA and Elf's wouldn't see eye to eye with the Sunderland owner. 
    AFKA at 5ft 1 towers above elf’s. 
  • Options
    Mick Mccarthy 👀👀
  • Options

I would normally agree,  but Johnson is a complete fist
  • Options
    I fancy them to nick one of their rivals managers. Maybe even going as far as to get Karl Robinson in! 
  • Options
    Duncan Ferguson is the favourite for the job. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5000 sunderland fans made the trip to bolton - and it looked a pretty gutless performance - i think the worry is they will be in playoffs again and will lose. 
    They all live in London  Bolton only a short 140 mile trip for them 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Duncan Ferguson is the favourite for the job. 
    Going to fight big Mick for it live on PPV.  We will see who has to stick it up their bollocks. 
  • Options
    It's all going the shape of a pear isn't it..... 
  • Options

Sunderland have been plunged into fresh chaos after the revelation that former owner Stewart Donald is still a prominent stakeholder in the club.

The Black Cats ' fanbase have reacted negatively after the news was confirmed by current owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus.

The Swiss-French billionaire completed his takeover of the League One club a year ago and it was confirmed at the time that the Madrox group consisting of Donald, Juan Sartori and Charlie Methven retained what was believed to be a minority shareholding.

Now, after months of unanswered questions and radio silence, Louis-Dreyfus has revealed he owns just 41 per cent of the Wearside club.

Donald, who bought Sunderland back in 2018 from previous maligned owner Ellis Short, retains a 34 per cent stake, Sartori 20 per cent and Methven five per cent - a cumulative total that would exceed the stake Louis-Dreyfus holds.

In a letter written to a Sunderland fans' group, 25-year-old Louis-Dreyfus wrote: "As previously stated, I have executive control of the running of the football club — something that was a fundamental requirement upon the purchase of my shares — and the executive management team inclusive of Steve Davison and Kristjaan Speakman report directly to me on a day-to-day basis.

“All major strategic decisions relating to the running of the club continue to be taken by the board of directors, compromising of myself, Maurice Louis-Dreyfus, David Jones, Steve Davison, Igor Levin, Patrick Treuer, Juan Sartori and Simon Vumbaca."

Whilst Donald rarely watches Sunderland games nowadays, Methven has become a regular presence in recent weeks at away games - much to the chagrin of the club's fans.

Charlie Methven left and Stewart Donald remain prominent stakeholders in Sunderland
    Charlie Methven (left) and Stewart Donald remain prominent stakeholders in Sunderland

Methven became a figure of ridicule among the Black Cats' support for his portrayal in the popular Netflix series 'Sunderland 'Til I Die'.

Methven, who left as a director in 2019, was recently pictured sitting with Louis-Dreyfus in the directors' box away at Cheltenham, a game the Black Cats lost.

He was also in attendance for the 1-1 draw at AFC Wimbledon - the first game in charge for new manager Alex Neil.

Independent fan group Red and White Army said of his recent appearances: “The club needs to realise that Methven attending away games and sitting with club employees/board members is a slap in the face for many fans.

Just before he had to resign from any official role, he was condescending, patronising and ignorant towards Sunderland supporters."

Methven has previously claimed that the reason he left the club was “personal”.

After this week's revelation, both Donald and Methven spoke to the Athletic.

A spokesperson for Donald said: "Stewart’s only active involvement has been covering his pro-rata funding commitment.

“He has made it clear throughout that he is happy to sell the remainder of his shares internally to the other shareholders at the same level he has already accepted initially.”

• Options
    Message from my Sunderland mate yesterday:

’we have just discovered that the club wasn’t taken over fully by Dreyfus he only has 41% the others still have 59% so he is only an investor and basically a front for the other clowns 🤡 they have totally f*cked it up since we beat sheff wed 5:0 to go top of the league on dec 30th 
    We may not make the play offs at this stage. Sacked Johnson without a replacement and took 2 weeks to appoint Neill left us short in defence (the worst aspect of the team) I could go on. The natives are restless ! Talk of protests 🪧’
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Message from my Sunderland mate yesterday:

’we have just discovered that the club wasn’t taken over fully by Dreyfus he only has 41% the others still have 59% so he is only an investor and basically a front for the other clowns 🤡 they have totally f*cked it up since we beat sheff wed 5:0 to go top of the league on dec 30th 
    We may not make the play offs at this stage. Sacked Johnson without a replacement and took 2 weeks to appoint Neill left us short in defence (the worst aspect of the team) I could go on. The natives are restless ! Talk of protests 🪧’
    My Sunderland supporting mate is boycotting....... 
  • Options
    Maybe Roland still owns 59% of us?
  • Options
    They don't want to get to the final anyway, as won't be playing us
  • Options
    I'm a bit gutted they bought Alex Neil in as manager. He is a class act and achieved wherever he has been in charge 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022