Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    Funny isn't it, whoever plays alongside Gilbey isn't good enough...

Maybe Gilbey is the problem after all.
  • Options
    What is his actual thing?
    Pace?
    Trickery?
    Powerful in the tackle?
    Great set pieces?
    Super competitive?
    Passing vision?
    Heading?
    Stamina and fitness?
    A good all rounder?
    A wand of a left foot?

I have not seen any special attribute (yet?) and certainly not one that some of our own doesn’t already have. Indeed a case can be made that Charlie Kirk is better, although that might be a minor case of absence making the heart grow fonder.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny isn't it, whoever plays forCharlton isn't good enough...

Maybe Charlton are the problem after all.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny isn't it, whoever plays for Charlton isn't good enough...

Maybe Charlton are the problem after all.

You're probably right, if only we could give up the clubs we support eh...

YARN  It doesnt feel much like home anymore  Dr Ken 2015 - S02E11 A  Park Family Christmas  Video gifs by quotes  0dc5fd58
  • Options
    I’d been wanting us to get him for years. Before he even went to MK, he was having an impact for Burton. 

Don’t doubt he will be a key player for us moving forward but probably not going to see the best of him before the summer.
    After sterling 12th and 13th place finishes he failed at Ipswich, highly likely we will finish below 12th............... 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Maybe he’s just not very good ?
    We know that's not it - the stats alone show he can do much better and we've been on the receiving end of a properly fired up and functioning Fraser. He is CAPABLE of being much better than his current level. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Maybe he’s just not very good ?
    We know that's not it - the stats alone show he can do much better and we've been on the receiving end of a properly fired up and functioning Fraser. He is CAPABLE of being much better than his current level. 
    Yeah, but he was good against us - so that doesn't really count.

I reckon I might even look half decent against us.
  • Options
    Looks well off the pace. Weak on the ball, weak in a tackle, misplaced passes. Hoping it's just a fitness issue and he kicks on to be the player we expected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d been wanting us to get him for years. Before he even went to MK, he was having an impact for Burton. 

Don’t doubt he will be a key player for us moving forward but probably not going to see the best of him before the summer.
    After sterling 12th and 13th place finishes he failed at Ipswich, highly likely we will finish below 12th............... 
    19/20 he played 30 games, got five goals and 11 assists.

20/21 he played 44 games, got fourteen goals and five assists.

21/22 he’s played 24 games, scored one goal and got three assists.

This season has been a write off for him. Ipswich and Charlton have not been the ideal situations to walk into.

I’m hoping we will have a bit more about us next season and he can get back to his 19/20/21 form where he contributed or goal or assist every other game.

• Options
    I wonder what Nicky Ajose's stats were for the two seasons before he joined us and we Charltonised him.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

I'm guessing this post was tongue in cheek because using a team's finishing position as an indicator of a player's individual performance is mental!

• Options
    Worth remembering that we had George Elek (from NTT20) on CharltonTV who raved about him when he first joined - Said he was surprised that Championship clubs hadn't already brought him in, although added that his lack of physicality was probably a reason for that.

Hopefully at worst we're seeing a player still fully recovering from COVID.

As Chunes says, he's getting the Kirk treatment who apparently was a dud too

Maybe he was and he couldn't adjust to life in the South of England, but he's a strange dud given he's more assists in the Championship than he does League One this season, in half the amount of games.

I was properly excited by both Fraser and Kirk as signings. Still easily giving Fraser the benefit of the doubt given his COVID issues (think he mentioned he was Asthmatic as well in an SLP piece) .

Do wonder what will happen with Kirk in the summer to be honest. Don't know how much he's featuring from the start for Blackpool. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    Worth remembering that we had George Elek (from NTT20) on CharltonTV who raved about him when he first joined - Said he was surprised that Championship clubs hadn't already brought him in, although added that his lack of physicality was probably a reason for that.

Maybe he was and he couldn't adjust to life in the South of England, but he's a strange dud given he's more assists in the Championship than he does League One this season, in half the amount of games.

I was properly excited by both Fraser and Kirk as signings. Still easily giving Fraser the benefit of the doubt given his COVID issues (think he mentioned he was Asthmatic as well in an SLP piece) .

Do wonder what will happen with Kirk in the summer to be honest. Don't know how much he's featuring from the start for Blackpool. 
    Would love to know whats going on with Kirk up @ Blackpool... Seems very strange with him - Been getting some sporadic minutes, then when he does get an assist - He doesnt even start in the next game

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlie-kirk/leistungsdaten/spieler/421443

I fully expect to see a repeat of the Owen Dale saga from Blackpool

Seems they took him on loan with an option to buy from Crewe, yet he didnt get involved much (injury), so they sent him back in January, and THEN signed him permanently a few days later - The Crewe commentators, in the game against us, seemed to hint that they sent him back, so they could simply re-negotiate the transfer fee.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    MarcusH26 said:

Would love to know whats going on with Kirk up @ Blackpool... Seems very strange with him - Been getting some sporadic minutes, then when he does get an assist - He doesnt even start in the next game

Seems they took him on loan with an option to buy from Crewe, yet he didnt get involved much (injury), so they sent him back in January, and THEN signed him permanently a few days later - The Crewe commentators, in the game against us, seemed to hint that they sent him back, so they could simply re-negotiate the transfer fee.
    Ah from the Lee Bowyer school of management I see ;).

Fraser to me looked like he had been growing stronger with each game, and against (an admittedly poor) Doncaster he really started to tick things over for us.

But took a massive step backwards against Lincoln - though let’s face it, we were very one dimensional for most of that game.

He’s a playmaker who is good at getting the ball, making space for himself and picking out an attacking pass. But he needs a fluid attacking line up for that - and when was the last time we played that way. 

Even Gateshead managed to get more players forwards and in attacking positions than us. We are never going to see the best out of Fraser if we continue to play slow, rigid football where we always aim to go down the flanks. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I'm guessing this post was tongue in cheek because using a team's finishing position as an indicator of a player's individual position is mental!
    Partly and partly to highlight the fact he has spent the last 3 years playing for bang average (by the very definition of average) league one teams. 

Look at some of the players we have lost to the championship in the last few years, Bonne, Kirk, Magginis even your favourite Williams.  If he is that good why is he still a bang average league one player?

Apart from the game we gave him the freedom of the Valley to stroll around in I have seen no evidence that he is even as good as JFC. 
  • Options
    We can do the “why did no-one else sign him” argument to death.

Why did no-one in the Championship sign Yann Kermorgant in 2011?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Fraser to me looked like he had been growing stronger with each game, and against (an admittedly poor) Doncaster he really started to tick things over for us.

But took a massive step backwards against Lincoln - though let’s face it, we were very one dimensional for most of that game.

He’s a playmaker who is good at getting the ball, making space for himself and picking out an attacking pass. But he needs a fluid attacking line up for that - and when was the last time we played that way. 

Even Gateshead managed to get more players forwards and in attacking positions than us. We are never going to see the best out of Fraser if we continue to play slow, rigid football where we always aim to go down the flanks. 
    While our overall passing play if way below that of other teams like MKD, I do think JFC showed him up with his FORWARD passing, I remember in particular one glorious eye of the needle pass through the middle he made. To the same forward line up
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

While our overall passing play if way below that of other teams like MKD, I do think JFC showed him up with his FORWARD passing, I remember in particular one glorious eye of the needle pass through the middle he made. To the same forward line up
    Indeed. I even commented as much at the time. However he did come on when the game had been ripped wide open, so feels somewhat harsh to compare.

Hopefully we get to see more of JFC, and more of that forward thinking play as the season finishes. Will certainly give us something to be excited about for next season. 
  • Options
    I've not seen much so far to make me think Fraser will be the answer to our prayers. He's been fairly anonymous so far. Not having the excuse that he's unfit. He may have been when he arrived  but he's had a fair few games now to get up to speed. His stats suggest he can do the business at this level though, so we need to work out a way of playing to his strengths and getting the best out of him.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We can do the “why did no-one else sign him” argument to death.

Why did no-one in the Championship sign Yann Kermorgant in 2011?
    "If Blackett-Taylor is any good, why has he just been released by a league two club? Poundland signing"

"Dobson failed at Sunderland, they hated him up there, and before that he was bang average league one player. Not what we need."
    I have seen no evidence........ 

What evidence have I missed?  I have seen him play against us 3 times, that I noticed, and twice he didn't do anything. 

I think it's quite funny that he has a lower stat bank average than Gilbey, Morgan and Matthews.  Of course there are reasons. 

I have seen no evidence that he is good enough for a team competing at the top end of the table and until I do I will remain sceptical. 

I think that's fair enough and I don't think that's sticking the knife in. 
  • Options
    as I wrote at the time .. I see Fraser as a 'panic buy' .. in that 'we had to sign someone'
  • Options
    Charltonising is strong jou jou...

We can turn a relatively accomplished player into a Hackney Marsh top gun in 3 months i reckon.

Think it would probably take 6 months with Messi though, but what a challenge for our coaching team!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    as I wrote at the time .. I see Fraser as a 'panic buy' .. in that 'we had to sign someone'
    He’s also someone we’d tried to sign for the last couple of years
    ongoing poor scouting decision then