Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    Come on Scott. Please be able to pass, shoot and dribble when you have a red shirt on. Pleaseeeee!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Good signing this. Get him in the right positions and play to his strengths then could be great. Reckon in place of Albie Morgan with the set up last night at Pompey might be a good shout.
    On current form, it would just as likely to be instead of Gilbey
    We need Gilbey's running, movement and energy in the midfield.

Unless Morgan starts putting on performances to impress Chelsea, Gilbey is the player to team with Scott Fraser.

Agreed, Gilbey gives us real energy, with and without the ball. We become very pedestrian without him. He needs a little more consistency though.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Good signing this. Get him in the right positions and play to his strengths then could be great. Reckon in place of Albie Morgan with the set up last night at Pompey might be a good shout.

Unless Morgan starts putting on performances to impress Chelsea, Gilbey is the player to team with Scott Fraser.

Agreed, Gilbey gives us real energy, with and without the ball. We become very pedestrian without him. He needs a little more consistency though.
    I feel sure Gilbey himself would agree with that!

Right now, he's busting a gut for the team. Trying a bit too hard and losing a bit of composure.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Right now, he's busting a gut for the team. Trying a bit too hard and losing a bit of composure.

I just don't see it, have held my tongue and watched and waited patiently but I do not see what Gilbey brings to the team. Last night he was not awful but he was our least good player. He does not score enough and he does not create enough, what does he bring  to the team. His passing in other areas is not of sufficient quality.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

I just don't see it, have held my tongue and watched and waited patiently but I do not see what Gilbey brings to the team. Last night he was not awful but he was our least good player. He does not score enough and he does not create enough, what does he bring  to the team. His passing in other areas is not of sufficient quality.

Am I missing something?
    Yes, he’s better than the alternatives.

However with Fraser and John coming in, JFC back later in the season and Morgan doing enough to keep his place suddenly he’s got a lot more competition.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    A good compilation here… not just another goals and assists video. https://youtu.be/Y6Px7WP88ao
  • Options
    That's an excellent video. He keeps the ball talking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Swisdom said:
    Left footer
    Great passer
    great assister
    cant run

he is the new Andy Reid I tell ya

and for that reason I have a lazy lob-on
    Andy Reid was like an express train when he had the ball
    Proper Charlton 

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Interesting about assists stats relying on finishers at the club. I can remember Lee laying on a few sitters that people have missed. Leko missing from about three yards out is one in particular I recall. Stockley missing two free headers from close range... I wonder what Lee's Expected Assists are, anyone have access to WyScout?
  • Options
    This was the signing that a lot of us were pushing for in the summer. Many on here have noted that I often mentioned left footed players in transfer target discussions. I found it interesting that Ipswich also signed Aluko and Carroll in the summer. Fraser seems to have been played out of position for them. 

I suspect he is coming here because he will be played in a role to which he is suited and we have actively been pursuing him under three different managers. 
  • Options
    One of the best individual performances I've seen from a player at The Valley in recent times with MK Dons last season. Hopefully can replicate that a lot more with us.
    Did he ever play alongside Gilbey?
    No, replaced Gilbey
    Blimey. No wonder that, by all accounts, Gilbey was shaky at Pompey. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    https://jwp.io/s/ebQS0SlA?s=09 Couple of Ipswich fans talking about Fraser leaving..
    Interesting chat, but they can't be both 'cutting their losses' and 'getting a bit more back.'
    It's either one or the other.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Ferryman said:
    Interesting about assists stats relying on finishers at the club. I can remember Lee laying on a few sitters that people have missed. Leko missing from about three yards out is one in particular I recall. Stockley missing two free headers from close range... I wonder what Lee's Expected Assists are, anyone have access to WyScout?
    And if they do, let me know how you signed up..!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Am I missing something?
    Personally, I am a really big fan and think he is one of my first names on the team sheet. I accept he isn't perfect and really should have had more goal involvements, but I do believe that is coming. His pace, energy and link play are excellent. We look so slow and flat whenever he isn't in the midfield. He allows Dobson to get on with what he does best and then gives him the short option to release it and help us get further up the pitch.

He is a clever player and on Monday, linked up really well with Chuks and Conor on a couple of occasions - including hitting the woodwork when getting clear of his marker. His stamina means that he can keep going at breakneck speed for 90+ minutes which is such a fantastic attribute, especially when we have a few players that aren't capable of that at the moment.

I really want him to start making better decisions in the final third and releasing it quicker, but I do believe that he makes our team better and gets us up the pitch really well.
    Thanks for your considered reply, I see the stamina, hard running and occasional appearance with the ball at his feet in dangerous areas but what I don't see is goals or assists following this. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed and have tried desperately to notice the other qualities that you mention, but I just don't see them.

I thought it was right for him to come in for a misfiring Lee but I saw nothing that made me think he is vital or our best midfielder, which is how some people see it. I think I would be OK with him as a squad player, perhaps coming on to run at tired defenses, but not a starter and nowhere near a vital part of the team.

Actually another quality is that he seems to help young players out on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Redhenry said:

You won't believe his key pass completions....

I can't think of anything that fits the definition of clickbait less than an in depth piece on the strengths and weaknesses of a League One midfielder who has played for Burton, MK Dons, Ipswich, and Charlton. Who on earth would see that headline and think "I know I shouldn't, but I just can't resist clicking on that!"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Am I missing something?
    Personally, I am a really big fan and think he is one of my first names on the team sheet. I accept he isn't perfect and really should have had more goal involvements, but I do believe that is coming. His pace, energy and link play are excellent. We look so slow and flat whenever he isn't in the midfield. He allows Dobson to get on with what he does best and then gives him the short option to release it and help us get further up the pitch.

He is a clever player and on Monday, linked up really well with Chuks and Conor on a couple of occasions - including hitting the woodwork when getting clear of his marker. His stamina means that he can keep going at breakneck speed for 90+ minutes which is such a fantastic attribute, especially when we have a few players that aren't capable of that at the moment.

I really want him to start making better decisions in the final third and releasing it quicker, but I do believe that he makes our team better and gets us up the pitch really well.
    Thanks for your considered reply, I see the stamina, hard running and occasional appearance with the ball at his feet in dangerous areas but what I don't see is goals or assists following this. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed and have tried desperately to notice the other qualities that you mention, but I just don't see them.

I thought it was right for him to come in for a misfiring Lee but I saw nothing that made me think he is vital or our best midfielder, which is how some people see it. I think I would be OK with him as a squad player, perhaps coming on to run at tired defenses, but not a starter and nowhere near a vital part of the team.

Actually another quality is that he seems to help young players out on the pitch.
    Yep, hard to disagree with your gripes on him. I do wonder if the signing of Fraser (who also seems to take set pieces for his teams) allows Gilbey the chance just to be the box to box midfielder that I think he is.

I find one of my biggest issues with Charlton Over the last 18 months, isn’t against the best teams, but the weaker ones where I feel we get out worked too often. I guess I see this far less when Gilbey and Dobson are on the pitch. 

100% agree with you that he needs to improve his goal involvement though.
  • Options
    Didn't Gilbey play with Fraser at MK Dons? Did they have a good partnership there ? Wouldn't be surpised if they are played together 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ct_addick said:
    Didn't Gilbey play with Fraser at MK Dons? Did they have a good partnership there ? Wouldn't be surpised if they are played together 
    No, but I think their games would complement each other nicely. Fraser has great passing and close control, as well as a knack for finding space between the lines. 

Alex Gilbey has enough in his engine to cover Fraser and still make intelligent attacking runs for Fraser to either pick out or use to create space. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Am I missing something?

Yep, hard to disagree with your gripes on him. I do wonder if the signing of Fraser (who also seems to take set pieces for his teams) allows Gilbey the chance just to be the box to box midfielder that I think he is.

I find one of my biggest issues with Charlton Over the last 18 months, isn’t against the best teams, but the weaker ones where I feel we get out worked too often. I guess I see this far less when Gilbey and Dobson are on the pitch. 

100% agree with you that he needs to improve his goal involvement though.
    I certainly have to say I agree somewhat with this. It could be confirmation bias, but I feel at least going back to the end of Bowyers reign we would often lose games against ‘weaker’ opposition at home.

I think I remember Curbs et all in Charlton TV discussing how it was something to do with teams coming to the valley and being ‘up for it’, and I who am I to dismiss their expertise, but I do feel like there was much more involved than just that. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gilbey was noticeably playing a bit more advanced vs Portsmouth, getting alongside and in front of the strikers more, with Albie playing a bit deeper. When Lee has been playing it's been Gilbey operating a bit deeper. I'm not 100% convinced by Gilbey, even now, but he certainly has some real strengths to his game and I think his best form was under Adkins at the end of last season, when he had a similar role as the most advanced midfielder. If there's one thing he can do it's run and drive us up the pitch so I think the more license he has to do that the better,

I expect Fraser will be more in the role Albie played on Monday, sitting a bit deeper and as more of a playmaker. I hope he will work as hard without the ball as Albie has started to.
  • Options
    Gilbey was noticeably playing a bit more advanced vs Portsmouth, getting alongside and in front of the strikers more, with Albie playing a bit deeper. When Lee has been playing it's been Gilbey operating a bit deeper. I'm not 100% convinced by Gilbey, even now, but he certainly has some real strengths to his game and I think his best form was under Adkins at the end of last season, when he had a similar role as the most advanced midfielder. If there's one thing he can do it's run and drive us up the pitch so I think the more license he has to do that the better,

I expect Fraser will be more in the role Albie played on Monday, sitting a bit deeper and as more of a playmaker. I hope he will work as hard without the ball as Albie has started to.
    Well said. Some people do seem to focus on and remember only a player's handful of  mistakes - rather than the 90% of stuff he does right.

It's evident that Gilbey is a key player in Jacko's thinking. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Ferryman said:
    I have a Wyscout account
    signing up was easy - just send them £120 a month and you’re good to go
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Chunes said:
    Ferryman said:
    I have a Wyscout account
    signing up was easy - just send them £120 a month and you’re good to go
    Thanks. I will take another look.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Am I missing something?
    This is why I enjoy this forum (most of the time), if you replaced the word Gilbey for Morgan I’d agree!!,  but that one word makes me completely disagree with you. I’m probably being a little harsh on Morgan to be honest based his play on Monday. But I doubt Albie will continue to be first choice once the other players are up to speed.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:

Am I missing something?
    This is why I enjoy this forum (most of the time), if you replaced the word Gilbey for Morgan I’d agree!!,  but that one word makes me completely disagree with you. I’m probably being a little harsh on Morgan to be honest based his play on Monday. But I doubt Albie will continue to be first choice once the other players are up to speed.
    But we don't have a significant number of people saying that Morgan is our best midfielder and that he should be in every team. I think that most people on here had all but written him off as a first team player prior to the last few games.

I am really pleased that Albie has stepped up, I hope Alex does the same.