Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    I may have missed something, but is Jason Roy completely out of the running to play Test cricket again?
  • Options
    I may have missed something, but is Jason Roy completely out of the running to play Test cricket again?
    Missed something, like watching him bat against the Aussies?
  • Options
    Yeah, sure - I mean it was lucky we had all those runs at the top of the order this time around.

Also Liam Livingstone has a better technique than Burns or Hameed IMHO. Given a chance, he could turn out to be our Matthew Hayden.
  • Options
    Yeah I think Livingstone deserves a chance. I reckon he could become the next Ali and double up as a spinner. Although Parkinson deserves a chance first. 
  • Options
    Yeah I think Livingstone deserves a chance. I reckon he could become the next Ali and double up as a spinner. Although Parkinson deserves a chance first. 
    Get them both in. 
  • Options
    Yeah, sure - I mean it was lucky we had all those runs at the top of the order this time around.

Also Liam Livingstone has a better technique than Burns or Hameed IMHO. Given a chance, he could turn out to be our Matthew Hayden.
    and the top 3 in this series have also all been dropped.

Roy has a test average of 18.7 including 72 against ireland. Take out that knock and he has an average of 12.7!!  If Roy's name is ever mentioned in a selectors meeting ever again, the selector who mentioned him should be sacked on the spot.
  • Options
    Let Roy and Buttler do what they were born to do. What makes them happy. It isn't just that they're no good for Test cricket. Test cricket is no good for them. Let them soar on the wings of ballstriking bliss
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Ben Foakes good choice 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Let Roy and Buttler do what they were born to do. What makes them happy. It isn't just that they're no good for Test cricket. Test cricket is no good for them. Let them soar on the wings of ballstriking bliss
    It's a sad fact of England test cricket, that only Root, Stokes and Bairstow have a better test average in test cricket than Buttler of the current players, with only Root with an average over 40
  • Options
    edited February 2022

and the top 3 in this series have also all been dropped.

Roy has a test average of 18.7 including 72 against ireland. Take out that knock and he has an average of 12.7!!  If Roy's name is ever mentioned in a selectors meeting ever again, the selector who mentioned him should be sacked on the spot.
    In 5 matches.

Roy has a fairly orthodox technique but, I agree, he probably wouldn't make much impact in Test cricket were he given another chance.
    I'd say that would mainly come down to shot selection and pushing too hard at the moving ball.

For all that Livingstone is a brutal hitter, he also has a decent technique.
    Why not give him a chance at the top of the order.
    It's not like we have loads of better options.
    As I say, he could just turn out to be our Hayden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    It's a sad fact of England test cricket, that only Root, Stokes and Bairstow have a better test average in test cricket than Buttler of the current players, with only Root with an average over 40
    Although Foakes averages 31.53 as against Buttler's 31.94. That differential of half a run per innings is far, far less than the runs Buttler has given away as a result of his numerous dropped catches and missed stumpings.
  • Options
    Cant see is getting many wickets with that bowling attack. 
  • Options
    I know I've mentioned this lad a few times in the last couple of years but, the Aussie batsman, Will Pucovski, has suffered yet again from concussion - this time it was in the warm up in the middle of a Sheffield Shield game this week which he ended up being subbed out of. This is the 11th known time it has happened - most of them have been as a result of being hit by a cricket ball but the first one was in an Aussie Rules game, he knocked himself out diving to complete a run, did so while fielding and he's even done so walking into a door!

Pucovski is a real talent but he simply cannot carry on playing as it is obvious that he has an inherent weakness when receiving a blow to the head and that he also cannot play the short, fast ball. There will have been numerous other times that he would have been hit that wouldn't have been reported because it did not result in concussion. I've seen a couple of the instances but this particular one shows that he simply does not have the technique - he gets himself in a position where he is neither ducking nor pulling the ball and this one isn't actually short enough to duck anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkcLM2gOu_0

The game has a duty of care and a responsibility to persuade him not to carry on. That duty doesn't just apply to him but to the bowler who ends up causing him even worse damage than concussion alone. I don't think anyone would want to have been Sean Abbott knowing that it was his delivery that killed Phillip Hughes.  And Sean Abbott has already knocked Puckovski too.
  • Options
    He was only for by a football this time I think, he's obviously very susceptible now, you've got to think he needs to stop being around contact sports at this stage, health has to come first.
  • Options
    735 k goes to Mark Wood in the IPL auction not bad for a couple of months work. 
  • Options
    It is unbelievable money. I don't know how long Wood will be there for with the final Test against the Windies ending on 28th March with the first game in the IPL on 2nd April and the Final on 3rd June
  • Options
    IPL is brilliant for fast bowlers. Max 4 overs a game when you can go full tilt

Wood is a decent Test bowler, but to me Archer is a better white ball bowler than red ball one. I can see him eventually concentrating on white ball cricket
  • Options
    Liam Livingstone went for an unbelievable £1.125m. Billings was picked up for £200,000 whereas there were no offers for Morgan. At least he can now concentrate all his energies on convincing us that The Hundred is the greatest short form white ball competition in the world!
  • Options
    A few other English players got contracts as well today, Benny Howell being the most unknown

England pace bowler Jofra Archer joined Mumbai Indians for £783,000.
    Archer is unlikely to play in this season's IPL as he continues his recovery from elbow surgery, but was given permission to enter this year's auction with a view to playing in the 2023 and 2024 tournaments.
    England one-day captain Eoin Morgan, who led Kolkata Knight Riders to the IPL final last year, went unsold.
    England's Dawid Malan, the fifth-ranked T20 batsman in the world, was also unsold but all-rounder Chris Jordan was signed by Chennai Super Kings for £352,300.
    England pace bowler Tymal Mills went to Mumbai Indians (£146,790), all-rounder David Willey signed for Royal Challengers Bangalore (£195,700) and wicketkeeper Sam Billings joined Kolkata Knight Riders for £195,700.
    Billings is joined in Kolkata by former England opener Alex Hales (£146,790) while uncapped English all-rounder Benny Howell was signed by Punjab Kings for £39,142.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you did the rounds of IPL , BBL ,CPL,  Hundred and Blast that could make you pretty wealthy , very quickly. 

Also as short form players are able to play long into their 30’s or maybe 40’s , I can see why players give up red ball to be white ball only cricketers. 
  • Options
    If you did the rounds of IPL , BBL ,CPL,  Hundred and Blast that could make you pretty wealthy , very quickly. 

Also as short form players are able to play long into their 30’s or maybe 40’s , I can see why players give up red ball to be white ball only cricketers. 

This is very true of course. But very, very few English players will actually get to play in the IPL because you have to offer something they don't have plenty of already (i.e. bowling all rounders or keeper/batsmen) to get a contract in the IPL now. Livingstone isn't just a prolific hitter. He has the ability to bowl 4 overs and turn the ball away from both left and right handers. Despite there now being two extra franchises, the likes of Morgan, Malan, Smith, Zampa, Labushagne, Finch and Adil Rashid didn't get one. 

The Smiths and Labushagnes, because they play Test cricket and are top quality 50 over white ball players, will still earn a decent living. The Morgans and Malans will play in the domestic competitions short form white ball comps and command a fee for doing so. But what about the up and coming, less established, players? Those that struggle to find some consistent form in white ball? Do they become revolving doors in the sense that their time at the professional end of the sport ends up becoming somewhat short.

To that extent, I keep coming back to Banton as an example of someone who may end up as an "if only". Yes there was a glimpse in the Windies of how he impressed when he first came on to the scene - but he still only contributed, in a meaningful way, in one of his five innings and despite that one innings of 77, he averaged just 24.40 over the course of the series. This was his overall record in 2021:

T20 - 421 runs @  15.60
    T10 - 318 runs @ 22.70 
    The Hundred - 96 runs @ 12.00

Banton's average for 55 innings and 53 times out (no small sample) in 2021was just 15.75. On the back of those stats, he seriously shouldn't be anywhere near the England team. He averages 22.91 in the CC and has never hit a ton in that comp. He fails to average 30 in red ball, short form white ball or 50 over cricket.

Banton really is a "step and hit" merchant with an element of sweeps, ramps and switch hits. But bowlers through their analysts have, I suspect, worked him out. So, unless he re-invents himself then I suspect, he will be lost to the game within a couple of years - before he gets to the age of 25. And he could be one of just many to go on that journey in this country. Not I said "in this country". Because the batsmen here, far more than those that come from the Indian sub continent, don't have the basic technique to layer the big shots on top of. And following the edict of Strauss years ago, there has been no incentive whatsoever for counties to work with their batsmen on basic technique.  
  • Options
    He was only for by a football this time I think, he's obviously very susceptible now, you've got to think he needs to stop being around contact sports at this stage, health has to come first.
    The latest episode came when he kicked a volleyball into his own head. If that is capable of giving him concussion then he really does have an inherent weakness and walking on to a cricket pitch facing a bowler at 90mph, with a poor technique to combat that, makes him a walking time bomb.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
     If you guys love cricket so much you should move here to Australia- A F L in winter. Then it moves swiftly over to horse racing, then swooning on to the cricket, in the summer, along with the A League (soccer) . Here soccer is very conveniently neglected. Even so, in rugby loving N S W and Queensland. We should follow ALL sports, as my Aussie wife says. I say when they show some respect for soccer, I'll consider it. Until then all sports ,and cricket can get fucked.
    My son has loved his time out there - will be back in the UK in six weeks time after a six months stint out there and the wife worries that he likes it so much out there he might end up emigrating! He also confirms all that you say about their love of other sports. All the younger lads play Aussie Rules in the winter and one of the older ones can't wait to get back to the dressing room at breaks - to check on the racing results! 
  • Options
    A few other English players got contracts as well today, Benny Howell being the most unknown

England pace bowler Jofra Archer joined Mumbai Indians for £783,000.
    Archer is unlikely to play in this season's IPL as he continues his recovery from elbow surgery, but was given permission to enter this year's auction with a view to playing in the 2023 and 2024 tournaments.
    England one-day captain Eoin Morgan, who led Kolkata Knight Riders to the IPL final last year, went unsold.
    England's Dawid Malan, the fifth-ranked T20 batsman in the world, was also unsold but all-rounder Chris Jordan was signed by Chennai Super Kings for £352,300.
    England pace bowler Tymal Mills went to Mumbai Indians (£146,790), all-rounder David Willey signed for Royal Challengers Bangalore (£195,700) and wicketkeeper Sam Billings joined Kolkata Knight Riders for £195,700.
    Billings is joined in Kolkata by former England opener Alex Hales (£146,790) while uncapped English all-rounder Benny Howell was signed by Punjab Kings for £39,142.

• Options
    For those who missed out in the Lord's ballot or want more opportunities to see an England batting collapse, the deadline for people who were successful in the ballot to pay for their tickets is the 28th February

At 10am on March 7th, the remaining tickets go back on sale.
  • Options
    Jason Roy has pulled out of the IPL due to not wanting to be away from his family for two months. He's just returned for the PSL and his second child was only born in January.