Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Ah yes, well done India too. Utterly ruthless. 

I think England got a bit lucky with the 'brand' of cricket in the Test. Effectively playing in One day mode with some players in supreme form.
  • Options
    Brain freeze again from Roy. Catching practice for fine leg.
  • Options
    Brain freeze again from Roy. Catching practice for fine leg.
    As much as I like Roy he looks a walking wicket at the moment. 
  • Options
    this current India one day outfit is getting more and more like the very best all time Aussie and England teams .. powerful, aggressive fast bowling, canny spinners, hard hitting, destructive batting and the fielding is almost unrecognisable compared to the Indian sides of yore .. IF Pakistan can find any consistency and New Zealand get back to their best, the next 50 over W C could be a cracker
  • Options
    dont throw away the very good start England
  • Options
    this current India one day outfit is getting more and more like the very best all time Aussie and England teams .. powerful, aggressive fast bowling, canny spinners, hard hitting, destructive batting and the fielding is almost unrecognisable compared to the Indian sides of yore .. IF Pakistan can find any consistency and New Zealand get back to their best, the next 50 over W C could be a cracker
    What a great post!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    What a great post!
    well thank you kindly good sir  :)
  • Options
    Seriously? What was that Livingstone? We have 42 overs to go and need to consolidate and he gives Bumrah, of all people, the charge! Awful cricket.
    We've seen that before!
  • Options
    Livingstone is an amazing finisher who's been forced to come in early two games in a row. I have sympathy - he only knows one way. There's been a case to hold him back until 7 or 8 both games
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Livingstone is an amazing finisher who's been forced to come in early two games in a row. I have sympathy - he only knows one way. There's been a case to hold him back until 7 or 8 both games
    I get that but the issue with doing that is that the tail ends up not wagging - and Livingstone is left stranded especially with someone like Topley at 11. He is a good enough cricketer to recognise, with the damage of 15 in the over, is that there is a time to play the percentages - to get out twice in a row giving a seamer the charge is really poor. In the last game he did it because he was still on zero after 7 balls. So what? We still had 42 overs to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I get that but the issue with doing that is that the tail ends up not wagging - and Livingstone is left stranded especially with someone like Topley at 11. He is a good enough cricketer to recognise, with the damage of 15 in the over, is that there is a time to play the percentages - to get out twice in a row giving a seamer the charge is really poor. In the last game he did it because he was still on zero after 7 balls. So what? We still had 42 overs to go.
    Topley is a throwback. Absolutely clueless with a FC average of 4.12. I know that his old man was a bowler too but surely he could teach him the basics of getting in line. And even if he couldn't I reckon that a mate of his, someone called Graham Gooch, might be able to help!

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Topley is a throwback. Absolutely clueless with a FC average of 4.12. I know that his old man was a bowler too but surely he could teach him the basics of getting in line. And even if he couldn't I reckon that a mate of his, someone called Graham Gooch, might be able to help!

Even Amar Virdi (who Gareth Batty has refused to pick this year - reportedly because of his batting and fielding) has an average of 8.91. Shows the double standards at play here.
  • Options
    Jog on then Virat!
  • Options
    Kohli out
    What a shame 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not a bad bowler, what he is in the team for
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Where did I say he was a bad bowler? My two points were that

(1) If you bat Livingstone at 8, then it's only another three wickets 'til Topley troops out to bat with him and that is, effectively, the end of the innings - look at how we lost our last four wickets for 36 runs. Two totally irresponsible and identical shots have cost Livingstone his wicket. And I reckon that he might be out of the next match having seen how hard he punched his bat due to the frustration at his own stupidity. He's not a 13 year old county age group player. To do it once is an accident. To do it twice is criminal and Moeen and Willy showed what could be achieved with a bit of application.

(2) The days of Tufnell, Panesar, Martin, Malcolm, Mullally etc etc are long gone and unless you are a Bumrah, Walsh or McGrath in great teams where you don't need to bat very often then you really should know one end of a bat from another. Topley, as you are probably aware, is the son of Don who was a bowler too but who managed to average over 15. Don even coached Zimbabwe - did he never coach his son or is Reece really that incapable of taking instruction on how to block a ball? The bloke has a lifetime total of 300 runs from 110 innings in all forms of the game. Being an OK international bowler who has taken a lifetime, at the age of 28, just 37 wickets isn't enough nowadays.

• Options
    bit of sweet revenge for England who have bowled superbly on what has been quite a bowler friendly pitch, nice and bouncy
  • Options
    Not watching, but weird to have 2 bowler friendly pitches in the first 2 ODIs, when flat tracks and big scores are England's favoured style.

Especially with the current weather and big county championship scoring 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

(1) If you bat Livingstone at 8, then it's only another three wickets 'til Topley troops out to bat with him and that is, effectively, the end of the innings - look at how we lost our last four wickets for 36 runs. Two totally irresponsible and identical shots have cost Livingstone his wicket. And I reckon that he might be out of the next match having seen how hard he punched his bat due to the frustration at his own stupidity. He's not a 13 year old county age group player. To do it once is an accident. To do it twice is criminal and Moeen and Willy showed what could be achieved with a bit of application.

(2) The days of Tufnell, Panesar, Martin, Malcolm, Mullally etc etc are long gone and unless you are a Bumrah, Walsh or McGrath in great teams where you don't need to bat very often then you really should know one end of a bat from another. Topley, as you are probably aware, is the son of Don who was a bowler too but who managed to average over 15. Don even coached Zimbabwe - did he never coach his son or is Reece really that incapable of taking instruction on how to block a ball? The bloke has a lifetime total of 300 runs from 110 innings in all forms of the game. Being an OK international bowler who has taken a lifetime, at the age of 28, just 37 wickets isn't enough nowadays.

You must be right, you think  you always are
  • Options
    Well done Topley MOM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Well done Topley on taking six wickets on a track that suited you. Shame that you might discarded once all the first string bowlers are back.

On another note, are you sure you and Chiz aren't one and the same. Because both of you never ever offer a coherent argument but come out with those classic one liners attempted at winding me up. Or, in your case, it's usually one word - "sigh". At least Chiz manages occasionally to string a sentence together by way of a counter argument!

Sigh!

• Options
    Well done Topley MOM
    Sigh!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The guy takes 6-24 and you moan because he isn't don bradman with a bat in his hands.

I really don't care if he averages 1 with the bat if he keeps on bowling like that
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The guy takes 6-24 and you moan because he isn't don bradman with a bat in his hands.

I really don't care if he averages 1 with the bat if he keeps on bowling like that
    Well said sir
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Again you aren't reading what I said and not linking the two - Livingstone having to bat with Topley. I do note the very big "if he keeps on bowling like that" because his figures against India in ODIs, prior to today bowling on a track that could not have suited him more, are 17-3-138-3. 

• Options
    Leuth said:

Well said sir
    Sigh!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Well done Topley on taking six wickets on a track that suited you. Shame that you might discarded once all the first string bowlers are back.

On another note, are you sure you and Chiz aren't one and the same. Because both of you never ever offer a coherent argument but come out with those classic one liners attempted at winding me up. Or, in your case, it's usually one word - "sigh". At least Chiz manages occasionally to string a sentence together by way of a counter argument!

Sigh!

Leuth said:

Sigh!

My argument was I would pick Reece Topley, because he is a very good bowler not worried about he's batting average, you went out of your way to moan about how bad a batter he is
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Sigh!

Leuth said:

Sigh!

My argument was I would pick Reece Topley, because he is a very good bowler not worried about he's batting average, you went out of your way to moan about how bad a batter he is
    So, where exactly did I say he was a bad bowler or that I would not pick him, especially given the current list of injured fast bowlers such as Archer, Wood, Mahmood, Fisher, Robinson, Tom Curran, Woakes and Stone to name but eight of the top of my head.

I'm not moaning. I am stating a fact. He cannot even defend a ball and it is totally ridiculous that a professional cricketer, let alone the son of a former pro and top coach, has never tried to learn how to do so. Even Monty Panesar managed eventually to do so and he probably never had an ounce of coaching as to how to bat, let alone field, in his life. But more of the issue was Livingstone giving his wicket up and the need for Topley to bat at all. The fact that we did not use up all of our overs could have been the difference between winning and losing.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Again you aren't reading what I said and not linking the two - Livingstone having to bat with Topley. I do note the very big "if he keeps on bowling like that" because his figures against India in ODIs, prior to today bowling on a track that could not have suited him more, are 17-3-138-3. 

Who cares what they were before today.

they are now 26.5-5-162-9

judge him when his career is finished, not half way through it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Who cares what they were before today.

they are now 26.5-5-162-9

judge him when his career is finished, not half way through it.
    But I never said he was a bad bowler - you and that Johnny Summers bloke have said I have. Where? Either of you please point me to where I said that!

His actual ODI record is 28 wickets at 24.42 with an E/R of 5.01. His T20I record is 12 wickets at 28.41 with an E/R of 8.28.

The real issue with Topley is that he has always struggled with injury - he played just one England game in five years because of it. He should still be able to defend a bloody cricket ball though - nurture and nature, he had them both and still couldn't!