Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
One for our older readers: "Then .......the palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob!"

Who'd fancy playing Bolton at their place oop North on a cold, wet and windy Tuesday night in February? It had better be us!
They're on a decent run of 5 unbeaten, including 4 wins on the spin, reinforced by a 104th minute equaliser at Morecambe in their previous match.

Jacko has mumbled something about losing 1-4 at home to Bolton last October as, "it didn't sit right". You bet Jacko. 
“I didn’t like that performance that day. It was something I wanted to put right and I’d like to think the team is in a better place now and is a bit of a different animal to the team they faced back then.”

Stockers and JFC long term absentees plus CBT hamstrung, probably. Both the 2 young Prem loanees played for the U23s yesterday, so they won't be included tonight. Everybody else fit, apparently - with Scott Fraser desperate to get a chance after his cameo last Saturday.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Pearce (c), Famewo; Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi; Burstow, Washington 

Subs: Henderson, Lavelle, Purrington, Lee, Fraser, Leko, Aneke

Charlton TV commences 7.15 tonight.

COYR!

Comments

• Options
    Both teams go into this game on the same points from the same amount of games, same WDL record and the same goal difference, only difference between us is they've scored 4 more goals all season, and obviously conceded 4 more too. Taken all this into account I'm going for a 1-1 draw
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this one, in a positive mood as I feel we could get another 3 points towards our push up the table, and into the 40 + points, Curbs and Minto in the studio are joined by George Elek from the Not The Top 20 podcast, COYR let's keep the bus rolling tonight... B)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Sam Lavelle has travelled, whilst Albie Morgan looks confused as to which way to go off the pitch, already has to improve on the pitch if he wants to get above a very average player mark

• Options
    Pearce in for Innis, and Burstow in for Aneke. Kinda close to what we were expecting, so hopefully our midfield won’t be to leggy from the weekend game. 

It’s still a strong side, but it would have been even better if Stockley was fit. 
  • Options
    Big test this, no Stockley, no Aneke, no Inniss.... 

Hope rather than expection very similar team that got out played by Hartlepools 2 weeks ago....... 
  • Options

Sorry about the late posting of the team tonight, late published on the OS ..... no doubt the comms team were still enjoying their hot pie and Bovril. :wink:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Sorry about the late posting of the team tonight, late published on the OS ..... no doubt the comms team were still enjoying their hot pie and Bovril. :wink:

Was 2 minutes early on twitter :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very small team! 
  • Options
    Good to see Lavelle on the bench

• Options
    I think my prediction is looking even more sound.

Never understand signing players & then not playing them. Might as well just not bother & put the youth on the bench/in the U23's.
  • Options
    I'm a bit concerned we start with no physical presence up front ....... let's hope the ball sticks up top and doesn't get returned straight back to pressure our defence.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Never understand signing players & then not playing them. Might as well just not bother & put the youth on the bench/in the U23's.
    You do understand that every football team ever in the history of football, has signed, and will continue to sign, players who are not better than their current options right?
  • Options
    Oh dear. Can I change my 3 point prediction ? Not knocking him as he is great for the club but I'm not sure about Pearcey up against a free scoring attack ! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Was 2 minutes early on twitter :p
    And 3 minutes late on the OS. To be fair, it's usually published on the OS bang on 60 mins before ko.

I don't suppose anyone really cares, but me for the Match Thread.  It's the nearest I've had to a crisis today.  :smile:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Agree with the above at 7.02.

Washington and Burstow are better running on to the ball but holding up the Ball ?
    Burstow not strong enough in men's football yet and not Washington's game. Can we adapt to the fact all 3 big guys are missing and play to feet more ?

It always come down to the spine of the team with Cafc and this 11 will struggle to defend set pieces without Jayden, Ryan and Chuks.

I hope Charlton can prove me wrong tonight and we do great passes for Mason and Conor.  It just feels the ball will come back too quick and too often for the form team in the division.  They love to attack in numbers so counter attack with accuracy is paramount 
  • Options
    I agree with the decision to keep Fraser on the bench, the current midfield is combining well so there should be no automatic right for someone to break in

Bit concerned about the lack of a target man up front, Conor and Mason are perhaps too similar to be an ideal combination

Plenty of options on the bench
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You do understand that every football team ever in the history of football, has signed, and will continue to sign, players who are not better than their current options right?
    And just more on this point:

I thought it was only Charlton he purchased players but didn’t start them right away?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    @Sage gets bragging rights for the correct starting line up in his Preview this week.
    Are you surprised? 😉
    Not really Johnnie... ;)
  • Options

Just sometimes they have to ready and fully fit, first.

I always remember backalong when I was a kid, we signed Ray Treacy from West Brom at 11 o'clock on the Saturday morning, and he was in the starting line up at 3pm.

Is that what you mean, Golfie? :smile:

• Options
    We're a bit lightweight upfront. Hope we can get a foothold in the game and don't just get the ball coming back at us when we clear it. 

We should be good on the break with those two up there... But we always lack composure
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Love the positive approach from George Elek, can't see Bolton being too much of a problem..he can come again.. B)
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Not going to be doing updates tonight - am visiting family so don't have my laptop here. And just to add to my gaiety for the evening, Dad insisted on listening to Addicks To Victory at full volume in the build up...
    Sorry not to have your additional comments tonight Aliwibble
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!