Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham festival 2022

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    What does make me laugh is he has all the media round for the stable tour etc promoting his sponsors etc and then hardly has any runners. 

Maybe he is missing his usual *special* feed 🤣

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-10486977/amp/Champion-trainer-Paul-Nicholls-checking-feed-stable-slump-form.html
  • Options
    Nicholls has hinted at focusing on Aintree and I wouldn’t be surprised if he bypasses Cheltenham in future to focus on getting better results at the Grand National meeting. Of course owners have a say so we’ll see him at Cheltenham but I would put decent money on some of Nicholls better horses skipping Cheltenham next year. 
  • Options
    Going to the Gold Cup this year, can't wait. Never been before - any tips on food, drink, etc? 
    It will be the most rammed place you've ever been.
    I can confirm this was true. 
  • Options
    Nicholls has hinted at focusing on Aintree and I wouldn’t be surprised if he bypasses Cheltenham in future to focus on getting better results at the Grand National meeting. Of course owners have a say so we’ll see him at Cheltenham but I would put decent money on some of Nicholls better horses skipping Cheltenham next year. 
    I agree, but that won't interest owners who all want a Cheltenham runner.
  • Options
    He's also gambling on the Irish sending their flagship horses to Cheltenham and/or Punchestown 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I think if you said to an owner "would you prefer a runner at Cheltenham that might run into a place or one at Aintree that has a real chance of winning" then they would probably opt for the latter. Let's also not forget that a lot of these owners have more than one horse and have also tasted what having a runner at Cheltenham is about so would rather see their horse in with a chance of winning.

Last season Harry Skelton sent one of the top rated novice hurdlers, My Drogo, to Kelso a few days before Cheltenham and the owners picked up £22K for winning that race. It then won at Aintree some five weeks later and collected another £42K. There is absolutely no argument that My Drogo isn't suited to Cheltenham - he has actually run there three times in his career from just seven total outings, came second there in a bumper on his racecourse debut and also won a novice chase at the course after which he was made 7/1 for the Turners Novice Chase.  Unfortunately My Drogo was ruled out for the season after that race in December.
  • Options
    I think if you said to an owner "would you prefer a runner at Cheltenham that might run into a place or one at Aintree that has a real chance of winning" then they would probably opt for the latter. Let's also not forget that a lot of these owners have more than one horse and have also tasted what having a runner at Cheltenham is about so would rather see their horse in with a chance of winning.

Last season Harry Skelton sent one of the top rated novice hurdlers, My Drogo, to Kelso a few days before Cheltenham and the owners picked up £22K for winning that race. It then won at Aintree some five weeks later and collected another £42K. There is absolutely no argument that My Drogo isn't suited to Cheltenham - he has actually run there three times in his career from just seven total outings, came second there in a bumper on his racecourse debut and also won a novice chase at the course after which he was made 7/1 for the Turners Novice Chase.  Unfortunately My Drogo was ruled out for the season after that race in December.
    as I posted earlier, trainers like Nicholls and Skelton are pragmatists, they will very often seek cash rather than glory, a winner at Market Rasen might be preferable to a geegee finishing tenth at Cheltenham .. it's also noticeable how many wealthy English/British owners with very good, expensive horses are increasingly having those horses trained in Ireland. It seems the green green grass, wide open spaces and Irish feedstuffs are much more conducive to Equine well being than the more humdrum facilities available in the UK  :):smile:  
  • Options
    Minus a load of rain my 12/1 on a plus tard is looking like a good ticket 
    Managed to pay for my hotel, racing tickets and betting. After it won had a large bet on elimay which put me in profit

bravemansgame being a non runner was gutting.

the 4 horses that didn’t come back RIP. 

weds was hard going Being soaked all day. 
  • Options

as I posted earlier, trainers like Nicholls and Skelton are pragmatists, they will very often seek cash rather than glory, a winner at Market Rasen might be preferable to a geegee finishing tenth at Cheltenham .. it's also noticeable how many wealthy English/British owners with very good, expensive horses are increasingly having those horses trained in Ireland. It seems the green green grass, wide open spaces and Irish feedstuffs are much more conducive to Equine well being than the more humdrum facilities available in the UK  :):smile:  
    There is another difference of course. Martin Pipe, Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls were the forerunners in buying French bred horses. Over time the likes of O'Leary, McManus, Ricci etc etc have themselves done so and outbid the English based owners - so they end up with a greater percentage of the best of the Irish and French breds 
  • Options

There is another difference of course. Martin Pipe, Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls were the forerunners in buying French bred horses. Over time the likes of O'Leary, McManus, Ricci etc etc have themselves done so and outbid the English based owners - so they end up with a greater percentage of the best of the Irish and French breds 
    dead right ..  and Coolmore has untold top quality stallions and mares for breeding hot flat and (especially) hurdling top quality horses
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On weds actually watched the horses being sold as quite interesting.

310,315,330 they sold for - huge money for jumps horses. 

Regarding the English trainers we just aren’t good enough - the small fields almost every Saturday and for most English grade ones is a telling sign, which it has been for a while now. 

Nicky is the only one that is still held in quite high regard. 

Also Gordon Elliot had a pretty poor week when you look at the amount of runners he had.
  • Options

Regarding the English trainers we just aren’t good enough - the small fields almost every Saturday and for most English grade ones is a telling sign, which it has been for a while now. 

Also Gordon Elliot had a pretty poor week when you look at the amount of runners he had.
    We're not, but the ground doesn't help. Every year it's soft which just plays into the Irish hands. No coincidence that the trainer who I always think of when it goes soft in England had a decent week (V Williams). 

• Options

We're not, but the ground doesn't help. Every year it's soft which just plays into the Irish hands. No coincidence that the trainer who I always think of when it goes soft in England had a decent week (V Williams). 

our jumps season runs from october - april same as the irish. 

we have our fair share of wet weather. 

im annoyed they watered the track tuesday evening - with the weather predicted on weds. 
  • Options
    Tickets on sale for 2023.

Prices…

Day 1,2,3: £35 Best Mate, £52 Tattersalls, £83 Club

Gold Cup: £50 Best Mate, £67 Tattersalls, £98 Club
  • Options
    price of drinks was extortionate but both days we managed to drink plenty the weds went carling bar which was a bit rough but done the job and was covered. 

the thursday got a table in the arkle bar and took it in turns manning the table while others went out for the races. 

have purchased tatts weds and club thursday for next year 

( how are they going to know what badge is from 22 ;) )
  • Options
    Badge changes colour I think. 
  • Options
    Ginto. Was hard viewing. 
    I know nothing of racing and never watch it, but somehow I landed on that race whilst channel hopping. Thought the occasion looked quite spectacular so stayed with it.

Half way through the race I noticed Ginto make a move and I said to myself there's the winner,  within seconds the commentator said he'd made a mistake and a little later said, 'it's tragic and he's being dealt with now'.   

I was absolutely gutted.  How on earth did this happen?  Is it the fault of the horse or the jockey?   
  • Options
    Hard to blame anyone.

Horse could have stepped on a false piece of ground. Maybe horse had a weakness that's not shown before.

Jockey wasn't doing anything excessive.

I know the horse died but just one of those tragic things.