Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name change for a country.

Comments

• Options
    I vaguely remember the Daily Telegraph being siller buggers by refusing to refer to Peking as Beijing for a long time after the name was changed. They might have done the same thing with Bombay/Mumbai too. 
    what about Burma/Myanmar ?
  • Options
    I vaguely remember the Daily Telegraph being siller buggers by refusing to refer to Peking as Beijing for a long time after the name was changed. They might have done the same thing with Bombay/Mumbai too. 
    In that case, Peking was an incorrect romanisation of the Chinese name, rather than China renaming the city!
  • Options
    I thought it was always "Turkiye" internally but they used "Turkey" externally.

Now they want to use "Turkiye" externally. 
    Well, externally isn’t in their gift is it.
  • Options
    iainment said:

And Never trust someone who cannot spell Ian 
  • Options
    Are they going to stop calling us Büyük Britanya?
  • Options
    It is now a three syllable pronunciation  “tur-kay-ah”.

Who decided that? Mark E Smith?
    Tur kay ah, my lord
    Tur Kay ah
    Oh lord, tur kay ah 
  • Options
    This is bullshit. We call Spain Spain, not Espana, Italy not Italia etc. It's Turkey. 
  • Options
    25May98 said:
    I have a tea towel from there with ‘Turkey’ emblazoned on the front. 
    Feeling robbed now. 
    I have a turkey with a tea towel on its front.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    The place we have hitherto called Turkey is officially changing it’s name to (I don’t know how to put an umlaut on the ‘u’) Turkiye.
    One reason given (well two of them actually) is to lessen the association with the bird, and also something being a ‘turkey’ being a dud.
    The football connection is we once played some ‘friendlies’ over in Turkiye.
    Here you go, Seth.

On a Windows machine:
    Hold down the “alt” key on your keyboard and type one of these codes:
    1. ä : Alt + 0228
    2. ö : Alt + 0246
    3. ü : Alt + 0252
    4. ß : Alt + 0223 (that's the German double S).
    5. Ä : Alt + 0196
    6. Ö : Alt + 0214
    7. Ü : Alt + 0220
    On a Mac:
    Press and hold the Option key while typing the letter u. Then type the letter to which you want to add the umlaut.  E.g. ü.

If you use Android, you can find it out yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I’ve petitioned Sturgeon to change the name of my homeland to the more historically accurate Scotlandnil. 
  • Options
    The nearest town to our kibbutz was called Ofaqim untill the Hinglish volunteers arrived...
  • Options

Who decided that? Mark E Smith?
    Certainly someone who'd been on the White Lightninnah. 
  • Options
    Argh......don't get me started.

The latest is Kiev. Since all this trouble with Russia the Ukrainians want to go back & call it Kyiv.

The capital of Turkey was Constantinople it's now Istanbul. (Great song about it btw)

Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe.

You get the gist.........

For anyone that's not heard it: https://open.spotify.com/track/38qLvs3obCzzePUxYLtAG7?si=42a90ee958fa4221
  • Options
    Alan Curbishly and Steve Brown are now Curbs and Brownie. 🧐
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The place we have hitherto called Turkey is officially changing it’s name to (I don’t know how to put an umlaut on the ‘u’) Turkiye.
    One reason given (well two of them actually) is to lessen the association with the bird, and also something being a ‘turkey’ being a dud.
    Here you go, Seth.

On a Windows machine:
    On a Mac:
    Press and hold the Option key while typing the letter u. Then type the letter to which you want to add the umlaut.  E.g. ü.

And on an iPhone or iPad, press and hold a letter and the various accented options will pop up. 😎
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Here you go, Seth.

On a Windows machine:
    On a Mac:

And on an iPhone or iPad, press and hold a letter and the various accented options will pop up. 😎
    Cheers @lordromford. I’d always wondered how to do that. Easy when you know how 👍
  • Options
    Does that mean that Turkish Delight will become Turkiyeish Delight?
  • Options

The latest is Kiev. Since all this trouble with Russia the Ukrainians want to go back & call it Kyiv.

The capital of Turkey was Constantinople it's now Istanbul. (Great song about it btw)

Rhodesia is not Zimbabwe😉

Southern Rhodesia is Zimbabwe and Northern Zimbabwe is Zambia
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Here you go, Seth.

On a Windows machine:
    On a Mac:

That‘s how it works on my Mac as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    iainment said:

And Never trust someone who cannot spell Ian 
    Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    Türkiye.

Yay.
  • Options
    ×÷^&(":;,!#
  • Options
    25May98 said:
    I have a tea towel from there with ‘Turkey’ emblazoned on the front. 
    Feeling robbed now. 
    I think if you email their marketing department they'll switch it for an up to date one free of charge. Class that.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Was Zambia not Northern Rhodesia?

And what about Burkina Faso/Upper Volta?

I look forward to the demand for a return to using Abyssinia instead of Ethiopia.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I look forward to the demand for a return to using Abyssinia instead of Ethiopia.
    Yes, What was Northern Rhodesia is now Zambia, my mistake in typing.

The other two Southern African countries who changed their names in late 60s or early 70s on independence and that I remember the change from those days were: Bechuanaland (not sure the spelling is right) to Botswana and Basutoland to Lesotho.
  • Options
    And of course, another recent name change for a country in Southern Africa is Swaziland to Eswantini, in 2018.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

The other two Southern African countries who changed their names in late 60s or early 70s on independence and that I remember the change from those days were: Bechuanaland (not sure the spelling is right) to Botswana and Basutoland to Lesotho.
    Swaziland is now Eswatini.
  • Options
    Glad this is finally coming on top, bring back Londinium I say.

None of your woke, post Roman 'London' bollocks, as soon as the last Legionaire left Dover, the Anglo Saxons deserted the place for the sticks and changed its blinkin name! 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

Swaziland is now Eswatini.
    Beat you to it 😉