Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name change for a country.

13»

Comments

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:
    Argh......don't get me started.

The latest is Kiev. Since all this trouble with Russia the Ukrainians want to go back & call it Kyiv.

The capital of Turkey was Constantinople it's now Istanbul. (Great song about it btw)

Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe.

You get the gist.........

The latest is Kiev. Since all this trouble with Russia the Ukrainians want to go back & call it Kyiv.

The capital of Turkey was Constantinople it's now Istanbul. (Great song about it btw)

Rhodesia is not Zimbabwe😉

Southern Rhodesia is Zimbabwe and Northern Zimbabwe is Zambia
    Was Zambia not Northern Rhodesia?

And what about Burkina Faso/Upper Volta?

I look forward to the demand for a return to using Abyssinia instead of Ethiopia.
    Yes, What was Northern Rhodesia is now Zambia, my mistake in typing.

The other two Southern African countries who changed their names in late 60s or early 70s on independence and that I remember the change from those days were: Bechuanaland (not sure the spelling is right) to Botswana and Basutoland to Lesotho.
    Swaziland is now Eswatini.
    Beat you to it 😉
    Sam beat you to it on Pg1 ;)
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Glad this is finally coming on top, bring back Londinium I say.

None of your woke, post Roman 'London' bollocks, as soon as the last Legionaire left Dover, the Anglo Saxons deserted the place for the sticks and changed its blinkin name! 
    Roman imperialist nonsense.

We need to forget woke SJW England too and use the original Angleland. 

And sod off St George, St Edmund of Bury St Edmunds fame is our true patron saint

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

None of your woke, post Roman 'London' bollocks, as soon as the last Legionaire left Dover, the Anglo Saxons deserted the place for the sticks and changed its blinkin name! 

And sod off St George, St Edmund of Bury St Edmunds fame is our true patron saint

Isnt he the idiot who lost an argument with the Danish?

Dont know if the story is true but seems he tried to baptise the Vikings, which they promised to do so if they saw a miracle... The one chosen was that God would protect him, if they shot their arrows at him.

He lost!! 
  • Options
    And we need to cancel the BBC and Sky metropolitan Liberal elite commentators who call the team from Amsterdam i-axe.

It's A-Jacks.

Same with Due-ventus.

And it's Paris Saint German 
    , not Paree San Jer-main

Thank Darwin it's still Bayern Munich, not Munchen.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Dont know if the story is true but seems he tried to baptise the Vikings, which they promised to do so if they saw a miracle... The one chosen was that God would protect him, if they shot their arrows at him.

He lost!! 
    Viking fake news.

He was English 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

He lost!! 
    Viking fake news.

He was English 
    He'd have done better to write a Song... Bet Alfred would have enjoyed Wessex to Victory
  • Options
    And we need to cancel the BBC and Sky metropolitan Liberal elite commentators who call the team from Amsterdam i-axe.

It's A-Jacks.

Same with Due-ventus.

And it's Paris Saint German 
    , not Paree San Jer-main

Thank Darwin it's still Bayern Munich, not Munchen.
    It should be Bavarian Munich, all English, or Bayern München, all German, but certainly not Bayern Munich.