Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Hoping for something like this - I see no point in playing two strikers when we haven’t got the players to play those roles. 

1-3 Oxford
    Playing 2 strikers when you haven't got any is inverse Adkins/Robinson, which they both got, rightfully, dogs abuse for.

Saying that we haven't got the player to play one up front either. 
    True, but I feel like we’ll get more joy out of Leko or Lee (or any striker understudy) when played a bit deeper/wider.

It will be very telling to see how we go.
  • Options
    Somebody is going to have to bang in a couple of goals to get anything out of this game, can't really see that happening unfortunately so the best I'm expecting is a draw, 1-1.
  • Options
    Hoping for a home win in the turd division against Oxford Utd.

Reckon
    1-2

• Options
    Hopefully trains are back up and runnin tomorrow!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    That's a powder puff attack. We are very unfortunate to be missing all our strikers. I will be at the game but my expectations are as low as they have ever been. I simply cannot see any realistic way we can win this. I can't see us scoring either, so a depressing prediction of 0-2. PS. Please do not play Leko up front (or at all ideally)!
    We are unfortunate to be missing Stockley and Washington at the same time .  We knew what we were getting with Aneke
    There no team at any level who would not be affected by missing their 3 main experienced Strikers 
    Yes because we are world beaters with any combination of them FFS!!!! Please stop making stupid excuses for our shit football team, the reality is enough.
  • Options
    The race for 12th place is really hotting up and the excitement is building. Robinson is coming out with some real rubbish about him building for the promotion season before he left/sacked for Oxford. Really? They were 5 points off the play offs despite a dismal draw at home to Fleetwood. Bowyer sneaked us in there? He talks so much you end up believing him?
    Sadly he will be grinning again on Saturday, 2-0 to Oxford.
  • Options
    Our inconsistent form is due to show a win so I am going for:

The Inconsistent's 2 Oxford 1

This of course will be swiftly followed by two defeats.
  • Options
    Hasn’t Lee played as a striker before? Maybe that could be an option.

Only heading to this as I have a mate who’s an Oxford fan so meeting up before and after the game. Couldn’t be less enthused to watch us at the minute though
  • Options
    I agree that Lee should be played up top, so that we can play Dobson, Gilbey and Morgan together in midfield, or if  Fraser is back him in place of one of them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with the extra midfielder some have mentioned, why force the two strikers when they’re both anonymous anyway.  This is not what I think will happen just what I’d like to see:

MacG
    Lavelle, Innis, Famewo 
    Dobson
    Clare, Gilbey, Morgan, Jaiyesimi
    Lee
    Kanu
  • Options
    Can’t remember more than a small handful of hard shots from outside the area this season. CBT’s a few weeks back the most recent maybe? None of our lot seem to put their laces through the ball. Just an observation. 
  • Options
    Didn't we lose to them 4 times in one season a few years ago?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Can’t remember more than a small handful of hard shots from outside the area this season. CBT’s a few weeks back the most recent maybe? None of our lot seem to put their laces through the ball. Just an observation. 
    I agree I was saying this at the last home game, we don’t shoot from outside the box, I don’t even mind a few flying over the bar!!, the times other teams shoot, our GK parry’s and the rebound ends up with the opposition scoring. LEKO, is one of the biggest culprits of getting in a shooting position and trying something fancy or trying to take the man on again, it’s infuriating!!🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
  • Options
    That really is a poor looking likely line-up
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Defensively, that is probably as good as we can muster, but we select that line-up and win the game I will eat my own penis hat.
    No hoofing outball for the defense as Burstow wins nothing in the air and Lee will be viewed by their defenders as an amusing pipsqueak.
    Similarly with anything floated in from wide.
    We could try playing the ball to feet, but Lee won't want it with his back to goal and Burstow is not renowned for his hold-up play. The ball ain't going to stick.
    We could try playing them in behind or over the top. Hmmm.
    I would suggest that Lee is at his best running at defenders from wide.
    In practical terms how do you see Lee and Burstow working?

• Options
    Thanks for the usual good quality preview. 
    Fast forward to mid March and we will be playing the Gills in a relegation scrap. 
    Till then, I can’t see us winning a game. 
  • Options
    With all our forwards fit and knowing Oxford have bundles of goals in them I would have gone for a 4-4 goalfest. With Leko and the Chelsea bloke up front we can safely reduce that 4 from our tally to nil. I'm just hoping Oxford have a terrible 90 in the final third. Our defence of Lavelle, Inniss, Famewo looks impressive. Will that be the first time this season all three have started together? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Defensively, that is probably as good as we can muster, but we select that line-up and win the game I will eat my own penis hat.
    No hoofing outball for the defense as Burstow wins nothing in the air and Lee will be viewed by their defenders as an amusing pipsqueak.
    Similarly with anything floated in from wide.
    We could try playing the ball to feet, but Lee won't want it with his back to goal and Burstow is not renowned for his hold-up play. The ball ain't going to stick.
    We could try playing them in behind or over the top. Hmmm.
    I would suggest that Lee is at his best running at defenders from wide.
    In practical terms how do you see Lee and Burstow working?

I don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we are going to have to leave a loanee out then fgs make it Leko & not Famewo. I would also like to see Castillo start as well as Kanu.......at least the latter should he here next season which cant be said of Burstow.

Looking at the possible line up & the players missing only an idiot would go for a home win........🙂

3-1 and Gobbo moans all the way home.
  • Options
    If we are going to have to leave a loanee out then fgs make it Leko & not Famewo. I would also like to see Castillo start as well as Kanu.......at least the latter should he here next season which cant be said of Burstow.

Looking at the possible line up & the players missing only an idiot would go for a home win........🙂

Hasn't Famewo scored more than Leko ?
  • Options

Famewo 1.
    Leko 2

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Famewo 1.
    Leko 2

Exactly my point. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The race for 12th place is really hotting up and the excitement is building. Robinson is coming out with some real rubbish about him building for the promotion season before he left/sacked for Oxford. Really? They were 5 points off the play offs despite a dismal draw at home to Fleetwood. Bowyer sneaked us in there? He talks so much you end up believing him?
    Sadly he will be grinning again on Saturday, 2-0 to Oxford.
    I took it as he was talking about his 1st season, when he was in a pretty similar situation to Jackson is now.

How the work done in the dead end of that season put things in place for the success over the next two. 
  • Options
    Stupid question. . . Is a covid pass still required for general admission today?
  • Options
    Awful weather forecast for this p.m. probably give this a miss today, particularly with no forwards available.

Wouldn’t mind betting only 12k attendance even with the freebies.

Good luck to all those attending.
  • Options
    Can we put Inniss up front from the start so we have a chance of holding up the ball?
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this but much like the Norwich game we will play well without threatening to score. The best option for us is from dead ball situations, which means Morgan must play and so must Innis, would like Lavelle in there as well but even though Clare had a bad last two outings he's probably our quickest defender and am guessing he would love to play against his old club, so Lavelle on the bench.