Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Think we'll get schooled and watch with wonder as Oxford pass, move and control the ball with ease while our bunch of cloggers tackle with their second touch and fail to find their man even when he's standing two feet away from them. 
  • Options
    17 year wedding anniversary today , what better way to spend it than taking my family to Charlton , that’ll teach the little fuckers .

Premiership Charlton had a chance to progress to the quarter finals in the FA Cup and lost to 2nd tier Leicester , standard 
    I knew we equalised just before half time before the 4pm service took place in the church on crooms hill and as I got in the car to go to the Trafalgar for our piss up my mate told me Dion Dublin got a last minute winner for Leicester , so I was fucked off and swore and she had the hump and life hasn’t changed at all since then … start as you mean to go on .

so today will be the same scoreline, a home 1-2 defeat … oh such joy 
    You still get flashbacks when watching Homes under the Hammer even now
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Worth noting that the direct Thameslink trains to Charlton have all been cancelled
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Think we'll get schooled and watch with wonder as Oxford pass, move and control the ball with ease while our bunch of cloggers tackle with their second touch and fail to find their man even when he's standing two feet away from them. 
    Dobson isn't a clogger. Lee, DJ, Morgan - skillful players, not cloggers. I wonder who you could be referring to ;)
  • Options

• Options
    At least Pratley could defend and had presence, but so long as players like him and Gilbey exist in our midfield, I will hold it against them - because so long as they're there, we simply won't put decent football together. Remember that half against Forest where we briefly glimpsed greatness? That was Oztumer being deployed correctly. Fraser had best recover from his Covid quickly
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Dobson isn't a clogger. Lee, DJ, Morgan - skillful players, not cloggers. I wonder who you could be referring to ;)
    DJ is a skillful player like you say but has many games where he can't do anything right. 

And as a team, we really can't pass and move!
  • Options
    Got Covid so will miss this. TBH I wasn't massively looking forward to it, but will miss the chance to have my expectations confounded...
  • Options
    I didn't see Fraser in the ketchup video, so he's either still not well enough or being kept a secret!
  • Options
    Staying up for this. God only knows why.

Will be a good test for Jacko. Given he has no proven strikers available and Oxford like to play proper football, will he improvise and adapt to suit the situation ?

Or will it be more predictable 3.5.2 with none of the personnel available to execute it properly ?

I don't think Jacko wanted either of those PL  loan players by the way. 

Trouble at Chateau Sandgaard ?

1am bedtime and remorse all round.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Attempted to make it today but GWR thwarted my plans. With the injuries and current form I can't see beyond a defeat. 1-2 Oxford.
  • Options
    Driven down for this game, left in bright sunshine from Leicestershire, just arrived and its cloudy, cold and beginning to rain  still quite windy as well! I hope the bloody team turns up and it's worth it!!
  • Options
    Campbell is on the bench today
  • Options
    .Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    DJ is a skillful player like you say but has many games where he can't do anything right. 

Occasionally on the counter we can look quite slick, but generally no we look wooden.
    As for DJ, he has 2 assists to his name this season. TWO.
    Now it so happens that one of them was the league one assist of the season IMO.
    But I'd be surprised if he repeats that pass again. In his career. Ever.
    For reference, Darren Pratley had 2 assists to his name last season, as a defensive midfielder.
    DJ flatters to deceive, beats himself as often as his opponent and his end product is usually woeful.
    But never mind, we have him on a long contract and I am sure he will tear the championship apart when we get promoted.

• Options
    His return isn't what it should be, but he has spent the majority of the season in a role that is as much defensive as attacking, and he's been doing the defending bit far, far better than anyone expected.

There have also been loads of bad misses from the balls in he's done that have been decent. I should make a compilation ;) 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    If thats the case and I've got it right in my Preview, it should trump anything that Sage and Ben can ever predict ;) 
  • Options
    Got a spare concession ticket going, north upper. If anyone wants for free then DM me and i can email over mobile ticket
  • Options
    If thats the case and I've got it right in my Preview, it should trump anything that Sage and Ben can ever predict ;) 
    Campbell would be a souper prediction
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    .Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Occasionally on the counter we can look quite slick, but generally no we look wooden.
    For reference, Darren Pratley had 2 assists to his name last season, as a defensive midfielder.
    DJ flatters to deceive, beats himself as often as his opponent and his end product is usually woeful.
    But never mind, we have him on a long contract and I am sure he will tear the championship apart when we get promoted.

To be fair, he's not a wingback. He used to receive the ball a lot higher up the pitch and when the defence are pulled out of shape. Now he picks it up deep, when they're all set back in their lines. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    .Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

To be fair, he's not a wingback. He used to receive the ball a lot higher up the pitch and when the defence are pulled out of shape. Now he picks it up deep, when they're all set back in their lines. 
    Which begs the question, why do we persist in playing him there. (That's rhetorical btw)
    He's a square peg.
    Like a lot of our squad it's a fudge and a compromise.
    He was bought on a long contract for some unknown or unfulfilled purpose under a previous manager and is now seeing out time like a spare part.
    Unless we can move him on like that other enigma spare part Charlie Kirk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'll put the Match Thread up dreckly.

• Options
    Just saw a pigeon on the train at Charing Cross but he changed his mind and got off when he heard about our lack of strikers
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    .Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Which begs the question, why do we persist in playing him there. (That's rhetorical btw)
    He's a square peg.
    He was bought on a long contract for some unknown or unfulfilled purpose under a previous manager and is now seeing out time like a spare part.
    Are we seriously equating DJ's contribution to Kirk's? 
  • Options
    Can’t make today now as got a sewage problem at home. So I could stay at home and watch sewage or spend seven hours to see it at The Valley.
  • Options
    Be funny if they water the pitch before and at half time.
  • Options
    Campbell if he gets on should have licence to play without fear.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    .Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

He's a square peg.
    Are we seriously equating DJ's contribution to Kirk's? 
    Equating? Not as such.
    At best DJ "does a job". The manager/coaches are trying to integrate him and he I am sure is doing the best he can. Kirk was only played reluctantly, or so it seemed
    But essentially neither of them are fit for purpose here IMHO.
    It will be interesting to see how Kirk gets on elsewhere.
    Nothing would please me more than seeing DJ start making game-changing contribution or at least look a threat and deliver consistent quality end product.
    I just don't think he will
  • Options
  • Options
    Stop Brannagan!