Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ketchup - Fridge Or Cupboard?

Comments

• Options
    Fridge, along with all other condiments.

• Options
    Cupboard 
  • Options
    The people who put ketchup in the cupboard are the same types who put bread in the fridge. 

They’ve got it all mixed up!
  • Options
    Ketchup is effectively high fructose corn syrup with just a touch of tomato in it.  Tastes like sweet melted plastic.  Hard pass
  • Options
    The people who put ketchup in the cupboard are the same types who put bread in the fridge. 

They’ve got it all mixed up!
    I do neither . Both are weird 
  • Options
    wherever you keep your tomato ketchup, stick to Heinz .. I made a big mistake a while back and thought I'd give Tesco own brand a go .. it soon ended up where @ForeverAddickted reckons all ketchups belong, in the bin
  • Options
    Supermarket shelf. Unless we’re making the sauce for BarBQ ribs, that’s the only time we have it in the house. 
  • Options
    100% fridge.
  • Options
    If once opened you don’t refrigerate ketchup you are risking food poisoning. There are no preservatives in ketchup and it will deteriorate quite quickly. There is no debate on this. If you’re happy to eat significantly deteriorating food then nobody can stop you but it needs to be refrigerated once open.
  • Options
    I’m not an expert like you SHG, but are you certain there no natural preservatives in tomato sauce, agree there are no artificial preservatives, but I always thought that vinegar was a natural preservative along with salt, both are listed on the list of ingredients.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If once opened you don’t refrigerate ketchup you are risking food poisoning. There are no preservatives in ketchup and it will deteriorate quite quickly. There is no debate on this. If you’re happy to eat significantly deteriorating food then nobody can stop you but it needs to be refrigerated once open.
    Won't the vinegar and salt act as natural preservatives?

I tend to keep it in the fridge (or rather I keep my BBQ sauce in the fridge), but in winter I doubt it's necessary
  • Options
    Salt is a preservative, sugar is a preservative, vinegar is a preservative. I'm happy that you accept there is no debate on this.
  • Options
    Ketchup is crap, but if I had to, cupboard.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Salt is a preservative, sugar is a preservative, vinegar is a preservative. I'm happy that you accept there is no debate on this.
    In certain quantities all of those will act as a preservative. In the quantities found in ketchup they won’t. Hence the manufacturers instructions to store in fridge once opened to the air. 
  • Options
    As an interesting aside. Peanut butter will never “go off”. It has zero water content and bacteria need moisture. 
  • Options
    IT SAYS IT ON THE BOTTLE - keep refrigerated once opened. 

What is so hard to understand ?

seriously 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fridge is the correct answer. 
    Another wrong answer! 😂 
    Incorrect.

And another thing, “eat within 8 weeks”. Maybe, if you’ve got a few teenagers in the house but ours would last a good 8 months. 
  • Options
    the Bin... Hate ketchup of all the sauces
    Are you Stockley, are you Stockley, are you Stockley in disguise?
  • Options
    Bin 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hot chip dipped in cold Ketchup is a thing of beauty.
    Fridge all day long
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    I’ve always been cupboard, but not sure I’d want to disagree with Ryan Inniss on this one
    The way he was walking up the corridor, he looked like he was ready to nut the door for looking at him the wrong way. Scary bastard.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    MrOneLung said:

seriously 
    It’s nonsense. You don’t need to refrigerate sauce otherwise they’d not risk putting it on normal shelves in the supermarket.
    It also says eat within eight weeks which is a ploy by Heinz to make you throw it away and buy a new bottle . Don’t fall for 
  • Options
    Interesting question there’s certainly a debate, after reading the below which refers to Heinz on recommendation on there question and answer on Ketchup storage, it’s seem to me it’s still open to debate.

https://www.purewow.com/food/does-ketchup-need-to-be-refrigerated
  • Options
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

You don't buy it from the chilled section in the supermarket . 

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

seriously 
    It’s nonsense. You don’t need to refrigerate sauce otherwise they’d not risk putting it on normal shelves in the supermarket.
    It also says eat within eight weeks which is a ploy by Heinz to make you throw it away and buy a new bottle . Don’t fall for 
    Not correct I’m afraid. Many food items including ketchup are perfectly ok to be stored sealed and unopened on “normal” shelves. That doesn’t mean that once the product is exposed to the air it won’t need refrigeration. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
    Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
    The point being made though is that once opened to the air pretty much all foodstuffs will go off. Preservatives either natural or artificial will slow down that process but it won’t stop it. Refrigerated ketchup will last 8 weeks before it starts to degrade in taste and colour. Once opened, kept out of the fridge it will start to turn in a day or two. It’s actually very simple. Ketchup needs to be stored in the fridge.  It will keep and remain in better condition. Stored at room temperature probably is safe due to those natural preservatives present but in reality to keep the product tip top you need to chill it once opening.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    In certain quantities all of those will act as a preservative. In the quantities found in ketchup they won’t. Hence the manufacturers instructions to store in fridge once opened to the air. 
    They make up 2/3rds of the ingredients in a low quality ketchup like Heinz, no one has got good poisoning from ketchup off a shelf.