Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ketchup - Fridge Or Cupboard?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    I have tried both.

When you put it in the fridge, the flavour of the ketchup shrinks. All you get is coldness and sweetness. 

At room temperature, you can appreciate the depth more. You get more of the tomatoes, the vinegar and the full roundness of the condiment. 

I would compare this to drinking cold red wine. You don't get the flavours.

Cupboard wins.
    I'll further back this up with some food science.

The sour receptors in your mouth respond to warmth and are dulled when experiencing cold. (Conversely, it's the opposite for the salt receptors).

Ketchup is an acidic condiment which means the flavour is experienced through the sour receptors. So when the ketchup is cold, and the receptors are dulled, it is not possible for you to enjoy the full flavour.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cafcfan said:
    As an interesting aside. Peanut butter will never “go off”. It has zero water content and bacteria need moisture. 
    Peanut butter is "off" before it leaves the manufacturer. It is disgusting muck.
    Peanut butter sandwich with salted butter is food of the Gods 
  • Options
    I’ll start dipping my nuggets in iced water. Thanks for the money saving tip.

• Options
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

You don't buy it from the chilled section in the supermarket . 

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
    Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
    The point being made though is that once opened to the air pretty much all foodstuffs will go off. Preservatives either natural or artificial will slow down that process but it won’t stop it. Refrigerated ketchup will last 8 weeks before it starts to degrade in taste and colour. Once opened, kept out of the fridge it will start to turn in a day or two. It’s actually very simple. Ketchup needs to be stored in the fridge.  It will keep and remain in better condition. Stored at room temperature probably is safe due to those natural preservatives present but in reality to keep the product tip top you need to chill it once opening.
    Simply not true. I've had ketchup - opened - in the cupboard for over a month with no degradation of any sort whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    My missus puts all open jars including peanut butter and marmite in the fridge unless I intervene.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    My missus puts all open jars including peanut butter and marmite in the fridge unless I intervene.
    Peanut butter and marmite in the fridge is disgraceful. Stick her in the fridge over night and she how she likes it. 
    Apparently I can't because that now counts as "abuse" or some such woke pc gone mad nonsense.
  • Options
    Put your ketchup wherever you like and pass me the Mayo, the thinking man's condiment 
  • Options
    Put your ketchup wherever you like and pass me the Mayo, the thinking man's condiment 

Mmm tastyHow old is Simon Mayo who39s his wife what39s the Kermode and Mayo podcast  and why did he quit Radio 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it has already been established the correct answer is in the fridge

Some people might keep it in the cupboard which is fine for them, but the absolute correct place to store opened ketchup is in the fridge. This does not mean you have to put it on cold - you can get it out of the fridge a while before using

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Redskin said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
    Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
    The point being made though is that once opened to the air pretty much all foodstuffs will go off. Preservatives either natural or artificial will slow down that process but it won’t stop it. Refrigerated ketchup will last 8 weeks before it starts to degrade in taste and colour. Once opened, kept out of the fridge it will start to turn in a day or two. It’s actually very simple. Ketchup needs to be stored in the fridge.  It will keep and remain in better condition. Stored at room temperature probably is safe due to those natural preservatives present but in reality to keep the product tip top you need to chill it once opening.
    Simply not true. I've had ketchup - opened - in the cupboard for over a month with no degradation of any sort whatsoever.
    Simply not true. As soon as it is exposed to air, it will start to oxidise. It’s basic chemistry. I’m not going to argue about a fact. As soon as the ketchup and air are reunited the ketchup will start to darken in colour. Over time the darkening will increase. The modern ketchups do not contain artificial preservatives and the move towards lower salt and sugar content means the natural preservative qualities of those ingredients will not be sufficient to eventually stop the ketchup going off. Air contains bacteria and fungal spores. Unless you refrigerate it will deteriorate. Refrigeration will slow any deterioration down but will not stop it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    If you've got a north facing larder you can put ketchup in it but otherwise your fridge is the place to store it.
  • Options
    If you've got a north facing larder you can put ketchup in it but otherwise your fridge is the place to store it.
    Ley lines keeping it fresh?
  • Options
    Ley lines keeping it fresh?
    North facing larders are naturally cooler, even in the summer.
  • Options
    Don’t eat the stuff but we have both red and brown here for grandkids and they are in the cupboard. 

If I were involved in this decision in my house they would stay in the cupboard and not go in the fridge so my wife is doing a good job.

Chocolate in the fridge is a definite no no, far to cold and rock hard when it comes out taking away the enjoyment of eating it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Thought I’d do a stock check on this.

Fridge - Ketchup, salad cream, Mayo, thousand island, Branston, thai chilli, pizza express dressing, tartare, horseradish, apple, mint, cranberry sauce, wholegrain mustard, BBQ, hot dog yellow sauce, picallili, chipotle, guacamole, jams and chutney. Also jar stuff like pickled onions, beetroot, gerkins etc 

Cupboard - Brown sauce, mustard, Worcester sauce. 

Think we may have a sauce problem. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

I don't agree ketchup starts to turn in a day or two left out. Fair enough if it's sitting in an uncovered pot I'd expect it to go off but the ketchup bottles are quite well protected with the plastic caps I'm with Beds on this one a lot of it is a ploy to make you keep buying it.

I quite like ketchup from a sachet perfect solution that you get the best of both worlds no cold taste and no risk of it going off as you'll use the whole thing in one go.
    Once exposed to the air it will start to oxidise. Not enough to make a noticeable difference in a day or two but over the eight weeks suggested by Heinz it will have. Doubt it poses any risk to health but it’s completely wrong to think it won’t deteriorate from its original condition. This is based on chemistry and it’s not something that can be argued with. Once open it starts to deteriorate. That’s actually a fact. Refrigeration will slow this deterioration down but even then after eight weeks Heinz think their product will need replacing. No idea if that’s a marketing ploy or not but the rest is fact.
    Here's the thing though, if you're a ketchup up person you'll be using it most days. So, the tiny amount at the top of the bottle that would be exposed to oxidisation is automatically removed every time. This constant replenishment means that you're never getting sauce that's been exposed for anything remotely approaching the eight week use-by.
    You don't shake the bottle like everybody in the known universe knows is the correct way of preserving the correct ratio of ingredients?
    Also the fridge is the correct answer. Once upon a time  when we were lucky enough to have ketchup  but not so well off to have refrigeration it was the norm to keep all manner of food stuff at room temperature. We have moved on and become more civilized, tins in the cupboard, runny stuff in the fridge.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

I don't agree ketchup starts to turn in a day or two left out. Fair enough if it's sitting in an uncovered pot I'd expect it to go off but the ketchup bottles are quite well protected with the plastic caps I'm with Beds on this one a lot of it is a ploy to make you keep buying it.

I quite like ketchup from a sachet perfect solution that you get the best of both worlds no cold taste and no risk of it going off as you'll use the whole thing in one go.
    Once exposed to the air it will start to oxidise. Not enough to make a noticeable difference in a day or two but over the eight weeks suggested by Heinz it will have. Doubt it poses any risk to health but it’s completely wrong to think it won’t deteriorate from its original condition. This is based on chemistry and it’s not something that can be argued with. Once open it starts to deteriorate. That’s actually a fact. Refrigeration will slow this deterioration down but even then after eight weeks Heinz think their product will need replacing. No idea if that’s a marketing ploy or not but the rest is fact.
    Here's the thing though, if you're a ketchup up person you'll be using it most days. So, the tiny amount at the top of the bottle that would be exposed to oxidisation is automatically removed every time. This constant replenishment means that you're never getting sauce that's been exposed for anything remotely approaching the eight week use-by.
    You don't shake the bottle like everybody in the known universe knows is the correct way of preserving the correct ratio of ingredients?
    Also the fridge is the correct answer. Once upon a time  when we were lucky enough to have ketchup  but not so well off to have refrigeration it was the norm to keep all manner of food stuff at room temperature. We have moved on and become more civilized, tins in the cupboard, runny stuff in the fridge.
    Well I am 64 and clearly remember the days of no fridge in the kitchen yet we were not all keeling over and suffering from anything nasty.

So fridge is not the correct answer, it is today’s  answer My grandkids will continue to be served ketchup at room temperature from the cupboard.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Well I am 64 and clearly remember the days of no fridge in the kitchen yet we were not all keeling over and suffering from anything nasty.

So fridge is not the correct answer, it is today’s  answer My grandkids will continue to be served ketchup at room temperature from the cupboard.
    Do you still keep the milk in the cupboard like the good old days before you had a fridge ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Do you still keep the milk in the cupboard like the good old days before you had a fridge ? 
    Of course not, that’s in a bucket of cold water under the stairs.  ;)
  • Options

Fridge - Ketchup, salad cream, Mayo, thousand island, Branston, thai chilli, pizza express dressing, tartare, horseradish, apple, mint, cranberry sauce, wholegrain mustard, BBQ, hot dog yellow sauce, picallili, chipotle, guacamole, jams and chutney. Also jar stuff like pickled onions, beetroot, gerkins etc 

Wait, WHAT?!!

Also, do you have a separate fridge for food? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Let me get this straight, you are shaking the bottle of a product that cannot move any faster than 7cm in 30 seconds and you think that this makes a difference to the consistency of this product. Full marks for being so imaginative. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Not saying you would get get ill. What I think is correct though is that by keeping it cool you preserve the product as best it can be for a longer period of time. 
    Or to put it another way, who would prefer to believe, bloke on the internet or the manufacturers of food stuffs?
    My 85 year old mother always has kept sauces in the cupboard, I've tried to to teach her the error of her ways, she wont have any of it. It doesn't matter anymore to her, her taste buds were shot long ago. Give 10 years and your grand kids will be telling you also. ;-)

• Options

That’s the most confused fridge ever . Pickles 🤨
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Not saying you would get get ill. What I think is correct though is that by keeping it cool you preserve the product as best it can be for a longer period of time. 
    Or to put it another way, who would prefer to believe, bloke on the internet or the manufacturers of food stuffs?
    My 85 year old mother always has kept sauces in the cupboard, I've tried to to teach her the error of her ways, she wont have any of it. It doesn't matter anymore to her, her taste buds were shot long ago. Give 10 years and your grand kids will be telling you also. ;-)

You confirm my point, my mum passed when she 95 and kept most things in the cupboard just like yours is doing. It’s perfectly fine and acceptable.

Don’t believe everything you read on the jar!
  • Options
    Fridge.

Can admin put a poll up?
  • Options

You have. No mint sauce.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

Let me get this straight, you are shaking the bottle of a product that cannot move any faster than 7cm in 30 seconds and you think that this makes a difference to the consistency of this product. Full marks for being so imaginative. 
    Have you taken into account the viscosity change in your calculations?

Does it not also say, "shake before use"?
  • Options
    My granny keeps the lurpack butter in the larder cupboard. Bit weird if you ask me but that's never done any of us any harm.