Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ketchup - Fridge Or Cupboard?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

You don't buy it from the chilled section in the supermarket . 

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
    Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
    The point being made though is that once opened to the air pretty much all foodstuffs will go off. Preservatives either natural or artificial will slow down that process but it won’t stop it. Refrigerated ketchup will last 8 weeks before it starts to degrade in taste and colour. Once opened, kept out of the fridge it will start to turn in a day or two. It’s actually very simple. Ketchup needs to be stored in the fridge.  It will keep and remain in better condition. Stored at room temperature probably is safe due to those natural preservatives present but in reality to keep the product tip top you need to chill it once opening.
    I don't agree ketchup starts to turn in a day or two left out. Fair enough if it's sitting in an uncovered pot I'd expect it to go off but the ketchup bottles are quite well protected with the plastic caps I'm with Beds on this one a lot of it is a ploy to make you keep buying it.

I quite like ketchup from a sachet perfect solution that you get the best of both worlds no cold taste and no risk of it going off as you'll use the whole thing in one go.
    Once exposed to the air it will start to oxidise. Not enough to make a noticeable difference in a day or two but over the eight weeks suggested by Heinz it will have. Doubt it poses any risk to health but it’s completely wrong to think it won’t deteriorate from its original condition. This is based on chemistry and it’s not something that can be argued with. Once open it starts to deteriorate. That’s actually a fact. Refrigeration will slow this deterioration down but even then after eight weeks Heinz think their product will need replacing. No idea if that’s a marketing ploy or not but the rest is fact.
    Here's the thing though, if you're a ketchup up person you'll be using it most days. So, the tiny amount at the top of the bottle that would be exposed to oxidisation is automatically removed every time. This constant replenishment means that you're never getting sauce that's been exposed for anything remotely approaching the eight week use-by.
    You don't shake the bottle like everybody in the known universe knows is the correct way of preserving the correct ratio of ingredients?
    Also the fridge is the correct answer. Once upon a time  when we were lucky enough to have ketchup  but not so well off to have refrigeration it was the norm to keep all manner of food stuff at room temperature. We have moved on and become more civilized, tins in the cupboard, runny stuff in the fridge.
    Let me get this straight, you are shaking the bottle of a product that cannot move any faster than 7cm in 30 seconds and you think that this makes a difference to the consistency of this product. Full marks for being so imaginative. 
    Have you taken into account the viscosity change in your calculations?

Does it not also say, "shake before use"?
    No, I haven't given a thought to viscosity change. I haven't read the label either, though this thread has reminded me of my dad's old saying "always shake towards your mate" - because if the lid came off whilst shaking, it would be funnier splashing your sauce all over a friend than copping it yourself. 
  • Options
    This thread reminds me of an old advertising campaign. There's apparently a perfect angle for pouring your ketchup and so Heinz decided to demonstrate that by changing the angle of their label. 

• Options
    Who on here prefers a 'dollop' on the side of the plate rather than a drizzle over the whole dinner. I'm a dollop kind of guy. Smothering it over the whole dinner especially if people have it with a sunday roast grinds my gears.
  • Options
    Who on here prefers a 'dollop' on the side of the plate rather than a drizzle over the whole dinner. I'm a dollop kind of guy. Smothering it over the whole dinner especially if people have it with a sunday roast grinds my gears.
    Ketchup with a Sunday roast!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. If you are going to consume the ketchup within a month or less, then it is safe to keep at room temperature. If longer, you need to keep it in the fridge. I would say that regular users will probably be safe enough.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    addix said:
    Cupboard.

Fridge is just weird.

You don't buy it from the chilled section in the supermarket . 

So if you open a tin of baked beans and only use half, you put them back in the cupboard too?
    Ridiculous comparison . If you open a tin of beans it will not last very long , in or out of the fridge 
    The point being made though is that once opened to the air pretty much all foodstuffs will go off. Preservatives either natural or artificial will slow down that process but it won’t stop it. Refrigerated ketchup will last 8 weeks before it starts to degrade in taste and colour. Once opened, kept out of the fridge it will start to turn in a day or two. It’s actually very simple. Ketchup needs to be stored in the fridge.  It will keep and remain in better condition. Stored at room temperature probably is safe due to those natural preservatives present but in reality to keep the product tip top you need to chill it once opening.
    I don't agree ketchup starts to turn in a day or two left out. Fair enough if it's sitting in an uncovered pot I'd expect it to go off but the ketchup bottles are quite well protected with the plastic caps I'm with Beds on this one a lot of it is a ploy to make you keep buying it.

I quite like ketchup from a sachet perfect solution that you get the best of both worlds no cold taste and no risk of it going off as you'll use the whole thing in one go.
    Once exposed to the air it will start to oxidise. Not enough to make a noticeable difference in a day or two but over the eight weeks suggested by Heinz it will have. Doubt it poses any risk to health but it’s completely wrong to think it won’t deteriorate from its original condition. This is based on chemistry and it’s not something that can be argued with. Once open it starts to deteriorate. That’s actually a fact. Refrigeration will slow this deterioration down but even then after eight weeks Heinz think their product will need replacing. No idea if that’s a marketing ploy or not but the rest is fact.
    Here's the thing though, if you're a ketchup up person you'll be using it most days. So, the tiny amount at the top of the bottle that would be exposed to oxidisation is automatically removed every time. This constant replenishment means that you're never getting sauce that's been exposed for anything remotely approaching the eight week use-by.
    You don't shake the bottle like everybody in the known universe knows is the correct way of preserving the correct ratio of ingredients?
    Also the fridge is the correct answer. Once upon a time  when we were lucky enough to have ketchup  but not so well off to have refrigeration it was the norm to keep all manner of food stuff at room temperature. We have moved on and become more civilized, tins in the cupboard, runny stuff in the fridge.
    Well I am 64 and clearly remember the days of no fridge in the kitchen yet we were not all keeling over and suffering from anything nasty.

So fridge is not the correct answer, it is today’s  answer My grandkids will continue to be served ketchup at room temperature from the cupboard.
    Not saying you would get get ill. What I think is correct though is that by keeping it cool you preserve the product as best it can be for a longer period of time. 
    Or to put it another way, who would prefer to believe, bloke on the internet or the manufacturers of food stuffs?
    My 85 year old mother always has kept sauces in the cupboard, I've tried to to teach her the error of her ways, she wont have any of it. It doesn't matter anymore to her, her taste buds were shot long ago. Give 10 years and your grand kids will be telling you also. ;-)

You confirm my point, my mum passed when she 95 and kept most things in the cupboard just like yours is doing. It’s perfectly fine and acceptable.

Don’t believe everything you read on the jar!
    would have lived until 105 if kept it in the fridge...
  • Options
    sugar, salt and vinegar all preservatives, it aint going off in a hurry one assumes
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fridge is the correct answer. 
    Another wrong answer! 😂 
    Incorrect.

its just marketing to make you use it more/throw it out..
  • Options
    mind you as others have said, it doesn't last long enough to find out in our house with teenagers about..
  • Options
    Fridge.

Can admin put a pole up?
    Whom?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I put a dollop on the side of my plate then add hot chili sauce and mix it in.  These days I add chili sauce to most things.  Including chili con carne.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    razil said:
    sugar, salt and vinegar all preservatives, it aint going off in a hurry one assumes
    As already said. In recent years the levels of salt and sugar have been reduced for health reasons. The preservative benefits of those two ingredients are not what they once were. 
  • Options
    why are people referring to the label to say 'but its got salt and sugar in it' but ignoring the label saying After opening refrigerate ?

• Options
    Does everyone also throw away their food as soon as it reaches its sell-by date?

According to Heinz, if you use Ketchup regularly and not sparsely, it's perfectly fine in the cupboard because it's a shelf-stable product.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    razil said:
    As already said. In recent years the levels of salt and sugar have been reduced for health reasons. The preservative benefits of those two ingredients are not what they once were. 
    It may not last as long, I don't know, but it still has a lot of natural preservatives in it and if you get through a bottle within a few weeks I seriously doubt there is much to worry about.
  • Options
    razil said:
    It may not last as long, I don't know, but it still has a lot of natural preservatives in it and if you get through a bottle within a few weeks I seriously doubt there is much to worry about.
    Mine lasts at least two months
  • Options
    cupboard until it's opened then fridge
  • Options
    Ketchup with a Sunday roast!!!!!!!!
    Yep. The wife's cousin smothers it all over hers. Wrongun.
  • Options
    There's a lot of angry people on this thread....mostly the "fridge brigade"! Get used to it, normal people keep it in the cupboard, we've not been frightened by Heinz's propaganda!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    why are people referring to the label to say 'but its got salt and sugar in it' but ignoring the label saying After opening refrigerate ?

Apparently food safety regulations aren’t a thing it’s just a marketing ploy to make you fools buy more 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    There's a lot of angry people on this thread....mostly the "fridge brigade"! Get used to it, normal people keep it in the cupboard, we've not been frightened by Heinz's propaganda!
    Cupboard people- flat earthers with tin foil hats.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Where's the flag button now that we need it?
  • Options
    I've known ketchup bottles be open in dry stores for well over 8 weeks probably nearer 12 and the ketchup has never gone off, granted the cheap giant cash and carry bottles are probably 50% vinegar so will taste pretty bad but a decent ketchup will be fine for more than 8 weeks in a cupboard.

I'd say it's only in the last 5-7 years has it been recommended to keep in a fridge in commercial kitchens.

Mayo and mayo based condiments,  yes , fridge once open.

If you want to keep it in the fridge that's fine, if you want to keep in the cupboard that's also fine, it's not gone kill you if it's been in the cupboard for 8 weeks!!!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Does everyone also throw away their food as soon as it reaches its sell-by date?

According to Heinz, if you use Ketchup regularly and not sparsely, it's perfectly fine in the cupboard because it's a shelf-stable product.
    Im not sure what happens in our house - I’ll check with our Butler.
  • Options
    I have carefully studied the responses here and have produced a personality profile of four types of ketchup user. It works (in time honoured fashion) by plotting two psychological traits against each other on a standard x-y chart. The resulting four boxes give the four ketchup personalties. Now all I need is three years off work and an Arts Council grant and I'll be able to knock up a fully normed questionnaire.  

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I like ketchup on plain food, not all food. Vegegetables like brocolli get a bit. I like it on a pie crust and with sausages accompanied by some Englsih mustard. I like it on a fried breakfast, especially the egg. Not too much though.
  • Options
    I like ketchup on plain food, not all food. Vegegetables like brocolli get a bit. I like it on a pie crust and with sausages accompanied by some Englsih mustard. I like it on a fried breakfast, especially the egg. Not too much though.
    You put ketchup on Broccoli................................kin hell!!
  • Options
    Anything that I think is a bit bland. Boiled Broccoli falls into that category.
  • Options
    Anything that I think is a bit bland. Boiled Broccoli falls into that category.
    I'm speechless, Broccoli is full of vitamins & Iron and is good for you and you cover it in gloopy shit full of e numbers, sugar and salt.