Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is the worst I've seen

Comments

• Options
    I'm a season ticket holder and i'm struggling for the motivation to attend at the moment, it's ruining my weekends.

I have a few friends that want to come along for the Sunderland game but i'm half tempted to just spend the afternoon in the pub with them instead.
    Can I have your ticket then?
  • Options
    To go back to the original question, this is no-where near the worst team we have ever had.

Old g*ts like me will remember the 72/73 one, the 79/80 one (now that was cracker, only 6 wins all season) and the Pardew one of 2008/09 was pretty awful. Even the 15/16 one that went down - I give you Ba, Bergdich, Ceballos, Vaz Te, Williams, Johnson - in 15/16 was awful.  

The current lot are bad admittedly but far from the worst I've ever seen.
    No denying they were awful but 22nd in the championship is a hell of a lot better than 16th in league one.
  • Options
    I can understand people frustration, and not wanting to roll up week in week out to watch players who on the whole don’t seem to give a toss. TS putting his son in charge of player recruitment is plain madness. Something is wrong deep down, signing players who are injury prone, pass there sell by date just adds to the frustration. Couple this with careless performances no wonder die hard supporter like us lifer have had enough. BUT every week I will pay my money, turn up and support Charlton , I have no choice this is my club. I first bunked in as 7yr old ( am 65 now) It is what I do, it’s in my DNA, it’s now in my sons DNA. 
    I want those who run and (especially) who play for the club to feel the way I do when they pull on that shirt. 
    Are they the worst squad, not technically but is does seem most couldn’t give a toss, and that I can’t forgive!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    My dislike of Pratley was largely aesthetic - he got stuff done. My dislike of Gilbey is so much more intense. I can't think of any other player I've hated the football (or lack of it) of more. He's like if Matt Smith 1 was regarded as the cornerstone of our team by half our fans
    Different positions granted, but Leko is so much more frustrating watch than Gilbey. By a mile!
  • Options
    Is it the worst CAFC team I’ve ever seen? Don’t know but it’s obviously up there.

I would say that this team over the last couple of seasons has an uncanny ability to make average opposition look World Class. Our concentration for 90 mins on ‘the basics’ is appalling.
  • Options
    I wonder, when was the last time a Charlton side lost 0-4 at home in the third division?
  • Options
    I wonder, when was the last time a Charlton side lost 0-4 at home in the third division?
    Brighton in 2010 last time I can think of. They were walking past us
  • Options
    To go back to the original question, this is no-where near the worst team we have ever had.

Old g*ts like me will remember the 72/73 one, the 79/80 one (now that was cracker, only 6 wins all season) and the Pardew one of 2008/09 was pretty awful. Even the 15/16 one that went down - I give you Ba, Bergdich, Ceballos, Vaz Te, Williams, Johnson -  was awful.  

This team will finish in a lower position than those you have mentioned. 
    This is officially the worst since the days of the third division south. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    The thing that really gets me down is just how boring and tedious the whole thing is. I find it increasingly difficult to give a shit any more. I don't feel disappointed when we lose, but I don't even feel that happy or excited when we (somehow) win either. 

The whole season (and arguably for a while before that) has just become a purely joyless trudge to grind out just enough points to stay safe, and even then its barely on merit and more about there somehow being enough teams even worse than we are.

We can all have our ideas about how things could be improved, but hand on heart I really don't think they will. The Roland years were awful but I cared because I felt connected to the club that the Belgian lunatic was slowly throttling to death. Now? I. Just. Don't. Care.

And I really, really wish that wasn't so.
    Exactly how I feel now. Simply don’t give a shit whether we win or lose. You couldn’t pay me to go to a game now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Old g*ts like me will remember the 72/73 one, the 79/80 one (now that was cracker, only 6 wins all season) and the Pardew one of 2008/09 was pretty awful. Even the 15/16 one that went down - I give you Ba, Bergdich, Ceballos, Vaz Te, Williams, Johnson -  was awful.  

Officially the worst in terms of league position agreed but cast your mind back to that 79/80 team of the likes of Gary Churchouse, Kevin Dickenson, Tony Hazell, Viggo Jacobsen, Johnnie Oostergaard etc and if it was possible to line that lot up against our current team, I still reckon the current lot would win easily.

Anyone know how to write computer programme to arrange the match? 
  • Options

Officially the worst in terms of league position agreed but cast your mind back to that 79/80 team of the likes of Gary Churchouse, Kevin Dickenson, Tony Hazell, Viggo Jacobsen, Johnnie Oostergaard etc and if it was possible to line that lot up against our current team, I still reckon the current lot would win easily.

You are contradicting yourself. If the current team finishes lower than the team you mention it probably means the current team have/did not gain as many points as your names.

Yes, you have named some bad players but as things stand they gained better results than the current crop.
  • Options
    The team is an extension of the mess which our club has been under since the ownership of Roland, ESI and now Sandguard, a trio of snake oil salesmen & sharks. It appears were currently built on "Sand" which is forever shifting. I'm sorry but Sandguard  has to take responsibility, he promised to blow the season apart....surely not this way? Sandguard told us he was a successful businessman who knew how to run business's, look at Zynex the way its tanking? 
    Lets start focusing on the man in charge before fans go after Jacko or Gallen. I don't think were going anywhere with Sandguard in charge, unless he gets some serious football people in to help him and serious money to invest into the club for a total rebuild over the summer and to buy the key assets Valley and Sparrows Lane. Hope i'm wrong but fear there is worse to come under Sandguard's ownership.
  • Options
    Dad's hero whilst following Charlton as a boy was Sam Bartram. He's seen a lot of shite since then. Weve been living in Sheff for 45 years and have always gone to Wednesday or United, no matter how unlikely a good result was. As for Saturday he has already said he doesn't want to watch. I'm gutted as my daughter who started in our Powell promotion season bleeds Charlton and wife and other daughter are coming along. My girls don't ont even live in Sheff anymore and are coming home for the game. I'm gutted that dad isn't coming as football is our family tie. I understand his feelings "can we just end the season now" and just hope we get more time /games together in future as I may be moving to Sweden later this year. 

Whether this team is our worst, having seen both the Hudds 5-0 and Hull 6-0 back to back games (whilst protesting against Roland) I don't know, but the facts that when we go a goal down, we can't turn it around, has gone on for way way too long. The fight hasn't been there long term. The facts don't lie. 

Come on Thomas, sort it out. 
  • Options

You are contradicting yourself. If the current team finishes lower than the team you mention it probably means the current team have/did not gain as many points as your names.

Yes, you have named some bad players but as things stand they gained better results than the current crop.
    I'm not sure I am contradicting myself but if I am the point I was trying to make is I believe our current team which is in the old 3rd division would beat the 79/80 one which was in the old second division of they met.

I agree statistically the current team must be the worst but I still think it would beat the 79/80 one.But even if it was possible to arrange a rematch today given most of the 79/80 team must now be pensioners I suspect this is a pointless discussion!
  • Options
    I remember watching this team lose to Hereford

R. Elliot 

G. Basey
    C. Solly
    K. Youga 

J Semedo
    W. Small
    M. Spring 

A. Stavrinou
    I. McLeod

S. Wagstaff
    A. Gray  

Admittedly, Burton and Bailey on the bench, but we lost and It was pretty dire.                

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I still go but out of a sense of loyalty and catching up with my mates that i have known though CAFC for a number of years.

Last two games have been a real struggle to get motivated. I have to take a number of Saturdays off to see the games as those days are part of my shift, I lose shift premium and 12 hours A/L on each occasion to do it. its got to the point where i wont bother anymore.
  • Options
    The fag end of the Pardew era was as bad as I can remember us playing but this current lot wouldn't have to regress much further to give that team a run for its money.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I’m not sure it is. Personally I think the team who finished 13th in L1 in 10-11 and the one who finished 24th in Champ in 08-09 we’re possibly worse. 

Have to skip back to the 70s then for a next possible contender I reckon. 
    Ah yes, the days of Roger Smart, Paul Davies, Ray Tumbridge and Bobby Goldthorpe!  Then there was Lawrie Madden and Peter Shaw, Leroy Ambrose and little Johnny Harrison...

We may be poor right now but we aren't that bad...

The season will be defined by our last ten games, and hopefully we will have a striker or two back by then?
    It is not the worst Charlton team as you say, because those players and the Tony Hazell, Tony Burman's were worse.

But the standard of football has improved over the years and we may well end up in the lowest position since 1973.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    I remember watching this team lose to Hereford

R. Elliot 

G. Basey
    C. Solly
    K. Youga 

J Semedo
    W. Small
    M. Spring 

A. Stavrinou
    I. McLeod

S. Wagstaff
    A. Gray  

Admittedly, Burton and Bailey on the bench, but we lost and It was pretty dire.                

Genuinely got no idea who the players in bold are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A. Gray was a huge reason for our ongoing mess tbh. We blew the transfer budget on him and he was abominable 
  • Options
    Alex Stavrinou was an cypriot Academy player - Midfielder who only ever made that one appearance for us, if I remember rightly.

Andy Gray was Andy Reid's replacement in the January Transfer Window, in our first Championship season... Striker signed from Burnley, had a good scoring record and then joined us.
  • Options
    If W. Small is Wade Small, he once scored for Wednesday against us and then we signed him and he was terrible? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    My own view as to the poorest team/season is the 1979/80 season when we took two points from the last 12 games to finish bottom with 22 points. I did all 23 away league and cup games (God knows why). We drew four and lost the other 19, scoring 15 goals and conceding 56. Killer was top scorer with just 9 goals. 
    Ironically, the following season was one of the best when we clinched promotion at Carlisle, and had a great day out at Ipswich in the cup, taking around 7,000 to Portman Road.
  • Options
    We don't need £10m to put things right. But I think our main issue is that we are too reliant on our strikers to get our goals and all of our main ones are out injured.
  • Options
    At least it's probably not going to get any worse than this 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If W. Small is Wade Small, he once scored for Wednesday against us and then we signed him and he was terrible? 
    It is, signed him on a non-contract basis at the start of 2009/10 and left sooner after that game. I think it was his only appearance.

Bally Smart was the 2010 version, another winger/attacking midfielder who made one appearance in a League Cup defeat before being released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Smart
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    10/11 team downed tools when they realised that they were going to be let go. However, Parky did get us to 2nd at one point in the season.

16/17 team had Lookman, Holmes, Aribo. Watt who at least made the game exciting because they could do anything with the ball at any moment. 

Probably say this current side as we don’t have anyone exciting with the ball at their feet this time around.
  • Options
    Didn't Andy Gray have some pretty serious personal issues when he was with us? Remember him tearing us apart for Burnley. 
  • Options
    My own view as to the poorest team/season is the 1979/80 season when we took two points from the last 12 games to finish bottom with 22 points. I did all 23 league and cup games (God knows why). We drew four and lost the other 19, scoring 15 goals and conceding 56. Killer was top scorer with just 9 goals. 
    Ironically, the following season was one of the best when we clinched promotion at Carlisle, and had a great day out at Ipswich in the cup, taking around 7,000 to Portman Road.
    Agree. That 79/80 team was awful. Anyone who thinks our current team is worse than that one probably wasn't born in 1979!

(PS Watching the home games was bad enough. Doing all the away ones unbelievable)