Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is the worst I've seen

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Reading this thread makes me realise that the sofa should have stayed.
    We need something to hide behind.
  • Options
    Reminded on Facebook that this weekend 14 years ago a gang of us from here went to Blackpool for the weekend as Pardew proclaimed it was a good time to visit Blackpool. The tower was shut and @Gumbo stung me for a cab back to the hotel. Weekend photos are making me crack up right now as @WSS looks about 12 in a thin inadequate jacket.  

The football was shite but we did have so much fun. We just got old and can’t mask the shite with a night dancing at flares anymore. There were probably old people at that game declaring it was the worst thing they’d ever seen then. 

• Options
    I’m guessing that the club have never lost five on the bounce in the third division before? If that’s the case then things are historically bad at the moment and there’s a very strong argument that, statistically at least, this is the worst it’s ever been

• Options
    edited February 2022
    We're certainly homing in on the 1973/74 season when we lost 19 League games (P46 W19 D8 L19 F66 A73).

We finished 14th in Division 3 with 46 points (equivalent to 65 points these days).  We had King Arthur Horsfield banging 'em in and a lad called Hales.

There was no significant run of consecutive defeats though, as we were reasonable at home (W13 D5 L5) and pretty woeful away (W6 D3 L14).

Statistically, I'd argue that our worst season was 1925/26 when we finished 21st out of 22 in the old Third Division South (P42 W11 D13 L18) and had to apply for re-election.

Just to brighten the mood though ... I hadn't fully appreciated how good we were at home in the pre-War years.  In the six seasons 1933/34 to 1938/39, we lost a total of nine League games at home (2, 2, 0, 1, 2 and 2).  That's nine out of 126 games.

Then along came Hitler.